Zakk : man in a box?

Gabriel 1313

A minor slip
Reaction score
I listened to a guy on YouTube talk about , can Zakk pull off filling in for Dime. The answer is an absolute NO. Never. I love Zakk for what he does. The caged pentatonic scale. Just listen to Book of Shadows. That album is the shit for seeing his talent. He is awesome at what he does, not what Dime does. Not even in the same ball park.

For this same logic, I have never done a cover. Not once. No disire. Leave the Artist to his own talent.
I'm sure it will be fine, but I wish expectations were a little more professional.

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
WTF does “a little more professional” even mean in this context? They’re professional musicians and if you don’t think Zakk is in the same ballpark, playing on the same team as Dime, you’re not listening.

The biggest difference between them is Dime’s legato use VS Zakk’s alternate picking, outside of that, they’re minor scale metal guys who grew up with a lot of the same influences. While Zakk used to do the country thing considerably more than he does now, in the last 20 years he’s all but dropped that. And hell, Dime got into some of that on the Rebel Meets Rebel album from the little I heard of it.

Zakk learned all the Randy/Jake stuff by ear when he was a teenager, while he’s still going to sound like Zakk playing Dime’s parts, he absolutely has the ability to pull it off in a respectful manner and will kick ass doing so.

Gabriel 1313

A minor slip
Reaction score
What I was stressing is, there seems to be a lot of trash talk on YouTube about how Zakk doesn't have the wammy thing going, or the chops for the Pantera gig. I was staying the obvious. As far as ," professional", I was referring to the ability to really hear music in bias, leaving out personal preference. I have everything Zakk has recorded I think but I can't play like Zakk, not that I don't want to. It's not just scales and modes, it's the wammy, it's the all over the neck, it's a lot of who the player is. I am in no way trashing Zakk.
I'm sure Rex considered Friendship in the decision. It is an honor, but when I heard of it, I was like... * Hum, I don't know if he could pull it off.
It was a simple matter of style, and tone. I think Zakk will stand out like * you can tell that's Zakk".
The question comes down to are they continuing with Pantera as a group or is this a Tribute band?

Lionsblood79

Swimmin with bowlegged women
Reaction score
I think a better question would be:
If not Zakk Wylde than who???? My vote would be Eric Rutan from Morbid Angel/Cannibal Corpse
Kerry King would also be an excellent choice, he actually taught Dime a few tricks back in the day

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
WTF does “a little more professional” even mean in this context? They’re professional musicians and if you don’t think Zakk is in the same ballpark, playing on the same team as Dime, you’re not listening.

The biggest difference between them is Dime’s legato use VS Zakk’s alternate picking, outside of that, they’re minor scale metal guys who grew up with a lot of the same influences. While Zakk used to do the country thing considerably more than he does now, in the last 20 years he’s all but dropped that. And hell, Dime got into some of that on the Rebel Meets Rebel album from the little I heard of it.

Zakk learned all the Randy/Jake stuff by ear when he was a teenager, while he’s still going to sound like Zakk playing Dime’s parts, he absolutely has the ability to pull it off in a respectful manner and will kick ass doing so.
:agreed:

creepymcpeepers

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love the title for this post. Wasn’t my favorite choice for pantera fill in. I love zakk. Was disappointed when he came to the hills have eyes looking bar in my area he took one look and said we’re not playing at this shit hole. He actually pulled up there in the parking lot and everything lol. The parking lot is just dirt 🤣 oh well sucks clicks closed down. Does anyone want to start a place for bands to play in my area?