Your worst album purchases?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by M3CHK1LLA, Oct 12, 2012.

1. HeavyMetal4Ever

HeavyMetal4Ever SS.org Regular

Bought plenty of albums over the years that left me unimpresed, but lately the one that stands out most is Mastodon's Blood Mountain.

After several playthroughs I though I should check out some of their other material and give them a decent listen.

What I learned is that I don't like Mastodon.

Each to their own.

Rock on!

2. flavenstein

flavenstein SS.org Regular

I almost had the same experience (with a different outcome); I listened to Crack the Skye and was massively unimpressed. But much later I decided to give Blood Mountain a listen and I ended up listening to it for about a month straight.

3. abandonist

abandonist Banned

I have a worst / best: Darkthrone Transylvanian Hunger: It was super lo-fi and my friends didn't think it even music on release, but I persisted and now it's a favorite. Also: Masonna releases circa 90's.

Same with Arcturus La Masquerade Infernale. "Dude, this is fucking gay" - Well, I think it's awesome and you're wrong...

4. JEngelking

JEngelking Gravity is Shifting!

I love Mastodon, easily in my Top 10 favorite bands. That said, I feel similarly about Blood Mountain. I enjoy the hell out of all their other albums, but BM was one that I just couldn't connect with. The first five songs and Colony of Birchmen I can really enjoy, but the rest just got lost to me. :shrug: Not an album I regret buying by any means, but one which I wished could have ended up appealing to me more.

5. stevo1

stevo1 ClearTrack Studios

[​IMG]

Heard one song, so I decided to check it out. Ended up being an album full of brees and other stupid vocal techniques. Even the song I listened to first had it in them, but somehow I missed it or something.

Too bad, as most of the music is pretty killer.

6. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

In the first few pages, multiple mentions of Nile's "Black Seeds of Vengeance" and Meshuggah's "Koloss", I thought both of those were staggeringly good albums, what don't people like about them?

7. MaximumPezcore

MaximumPezcore Magically Delicious

Always wanted to try out the Pantera side projects but holy shit, that album cover is absolutely horrid. I know album covers don't represent musical quality but holy shit.

I can't remember actually regretting any CDs I've bought except for maybe 'We're Not Happy 'Til You're Not Happy' by Reel Big Fish when I was 12 because the sound and overall production quality on that album was terrible.

ElRay likes this.
  8. Ginsu

Ginsu SS.org Regular

Exhibit A
    Evile - Into the Grave
    I bought this thinking I would like thrash metal. I didn't like thrash metal. I discovered very quickly that I'm not a big fan of music that more or less eschews melody (to me, anyways).

August Burns Red - Messenger
    I heard Constellations, which I very much enjoyed (Especially Marianas Trench), and then I bought this, and BLEHHHH. I don't like the production, if I remember correctly. Last time I listened to it was over a year ago though, in the midst of some fairly profound sleep deprivation...maybe I'll give it another listen.

Maylene and the Sons of Disaster - (Self-Titled)
    "Southern" metalcore. I enjoy the music of certain metalcore bands, for example, As I Lay Dying (except their last album), All that Remains (Fall of Ideals and the two before that...Behind Silence and Solitude has to be among my favorite non-progressive albums EVER, I have quite the emotional attachment to the title track on that album...)
    Ah, it would seem my typing has gone off on a tangent. I apologize. Anyways, I don't really like the whole blues-rock sort of southern feel that this band has. Basically, an over abundance of
    D
    A
    F
    C
    G--0-3-5
    C--0-3-5

I avoid that wherever possible in my own compositions, it does little for me short of annoying me, and I feel it is somewhat cliche.

Metanoia - Don't Walk Dead
    I bought this after hearing how unrelentingly heavy it was. I'd heard a good number of obscure-ish metal bands (Sympathy, Immortal Souls, Sacrificium, Pantokrator being my favorite of the type), and assumed this would be similar...I'm glad I bought this used, for approximately three dollars. I'd not buy it again, only my habit of collecting things prevents me from getting rid of it, as I will likely never listen again. The production was painful. The vocals were...much more raw than what I like.

This covers only some of my physical purchases, and none of my digital ones (which there are more of). I have yet to be disappointed by any "djent" or progressive metal albums I've ever bought, though. I can usually find something to like. I never listen to music with cursing though. It's just a personal annoyance of mine. I don't care if people curse when they speak, but it sort of breaks the "musical fourth wall", so to speak in a song, and usually takes me out of the experience...if music were a living being, I feel that its speech would be more refined. I like my music to sound dissociated from people (to me), as if it is its own entity, which is also largely why I am so picky about production.

With reference to the above post, album covers frequently influence whether I buy an album or not nowadays (none of these were recent purchases), since I have synesthesia...I see colors, shapes, and even entire worlds sometimes in music, and what I see color-wise is often influenced by the album cover, I prefer abstract landscapes, and dark blues, greens and purples. :)

Attached Files:

9. AgileKev

AgileKev Just Play.

Today I Caught the Plague- Lore. Hate to sound like a stuck-up metalhead, but it needs screaming vocals. Cleans just don't do certain parts justice.

10. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

save your money...do not purchase.

[​IMG]

11. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

I wholeheartedly disagree, but I guess that's why it's an opinion. :lol:

12. Handbanana

Handbanana SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm sure theres more....Those two stand out the most. I think I was uber disappointed with the first Periphery album for obvious reasons...But thats just me.

13. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I think that your copy was defective. :cool:

14. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Scoop the Mids and Chug

My cuz told me abou this band said the new pantera and well since i love pantera i went and got the cd without hearing a song and my god its the worst thing ever! Five finger death punch so so bad. Still give him shit for that one. I just gave it to him

15. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Scoop the Mids and Chug

My cuz told me about this new band said they where new pantera and well since i love pantera i went and got the cd without hearing a song and my god its the worst thing ever! Five finger death punch so so bad. Still give him shit for that one. I just gave it to him

16. satchmo72

satchmo72 SS.org Regular

This ^^

17. groph

groph SS.org Regular

Undisputed Attitude by Slayer. Fuck.

18. Krigloch the Furious

Krigloch the Furious Balls

Im going to get shit for this, but Gorguts - Obscura and From Wisdom to Hate.
    I absolutely LOVE their first two albums though

19. Tyler

Tyler SS.org Regular

Counterparts - The Current Will Carry Us
    It wasnt terrible, but they could have done so much better. Plus the quality on the first album was more appealing

20. nsimonsen

nsimonsen SS.org Regular

I completely and utterly disagree, the production on Prophets had no life to it whatsoever and the TCWCU had so much more depth and integrity to it. They went from being a mediocre metalcore band to being an incredible hardcore band.

My opinion of course, you can think what you wish.