Your top melodeath albums?

Mathemagician

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’m too out of it at work to think of an album title by have we discussed/mentioned Hypocrisy? I feel like they were melodeath….

Also the Absence. Holy crap that’s just awesome melodic death metal.

TheInvisibleHand

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd echo most of what was said here with the usual suspects:

TBDM- Nocturnal
Dark Tranquillity: Character
Soilwork: Stabbing the Drama

But one band that to me was so damn addicting was Engel. I think they were produced by someone from In flames, but the album Absolute Design was so good. But maybe a stretch to call death metal?

Metaldestroyerdennis

Heavens Football Bat
Reaction score
I don't think this has been posted, but after Insomnium, Be'lakor, IF, and DT there is this album for me. An absolute masterpiece and a huge part of my melodeath journey when I was first getting into it.

ErockRPh

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
While we're discussing subgenre semantice (pedantics?), where's the break point between Melodeath and Deathcore? Is it simply vaguely European vs American, or is there something else more concrete about it? These aren't subgenres that I follow closely, but I went through a phase where I found a few albums I like:

Soilwork - A Predator's Portrait
In Flames - Clayman
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Shadow's Fall - The Art of Balance
Killswitch Engage - The End of Heartache
Carcass - Heartwork

Obviously, these aren't all the exact same subgenre, but they're not completely different either. What makes one Melodeath, Deathcore, Opeth (do they even have a subgenre?), etc?

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
While we're discussing subgenre semantice (pedantics?), where's the break point between Melodeath and Deathcore? Is it simply vaguely European vs American, or is there something else more concrete about it?

Breakdowns.

And I clipped the part about Opeth's genre, but everyone I know just calls them Prog Metal, simplest moniker

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
While we're discussing subgenre semantice (pedantics?), where's the break point between Melodeath and Deathcore? Is it simply vaguely European vs American, or is there something else more concrete about it? These aren't subgenres that I follow closely, but I went through a phase where I found a few albums I like:

In Flames - Clayman
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Carcass - Heartwork

Obviously, these aren't all the exact same subgenre, but they're not completely different either. What makes one Melodeath, Deathcore, Opeth (do they even have a subgenre?), etc?

modern deathcore jacks off with symphonic shit plus synths and the death metal and hardcore influences are pretty much gone outside of some groove riffs and of course these massive breakdowns

mostly it's breakdowns but the original deathcore sound was really grindy or groove based death metal with breakdowns, and pretty much combining the gritty sound of hardcore, which was slower and heavier, with the aggression and speed of death metal

deathcore really wasn't melodic at all and I wouldn't say it has a lot of it even now, pretty much if there's clean singing besides an intro I'd wager it's not gonna be deathcore in the most basic sense of the genre

every suicide silence album pretty much will give you a taste of all the varieties of old school deathcore and their latest single puts a modern spin on their older sound, pretty much adding the dinosaur noise breakdowns that's popular with current shit with their groove/death riffs

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

In Flames - Clayman
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Carcass - Heartwork

"Core" in a subgenre name is a reference to hardcore influence. These subgenres have a lot of emphasis on breakdowns.

Metalcore = metal + hardcore
Deathcore = death metal + hardcore

Plenty of people (myself included) don't consider metalcore to be metal, but a form of rock that has metal influences. It's a bit of a grey area though and some metalcore bands are definitely more "metal" than others.

While there are some bands that have melodeath + deathcore/metalcore influences, Killswitch Engage does not...they are pure metalcore.

Shadows Fall is metalcore.

In Flames and Soilwork both started out as melodeath, but then moved away from that and into metalcore / groove metal territory.

Opeth is progressive death metal (although their later material is prog rock not prog metal).

Here's some more band examples to help you differentiate:

Deathcore:
Job for a Cowboy
Suicide Silence
Annotations of an Autopsy
Whitechapel

Metalcore:
Trivium (debut sounds like raw Shadows Fall)
Bullet for My Valentine
As I Lay Dying
All That Remains

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
While this thread is bumping, curious if any of the other Arch Enemy fans know: was Michael's LP Customs stock?

I can't seem to find any good pictures of them, and all the old videos are like, 240p quality and impossible to tell. I know his ESP Ninjas all used a JB/59 combo, and then his Dean's were in-house signatures.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Let's keep this subgenres thing out of here please. It's annoying, it's always been annoying, and your opinion won't be the exception or the one that sways someone to think otherwise. For me, when someone brings up the subgenre thing it almost feels like when someone tries to squeeze bits about religion or politics into the conversation. It just causes everyone to start arguing over nothing.

For the record though, Shadows Fall's first albums are considered melodeath before fully shifting to metalcore. I don't think the sound is honestly that much different between both subgenres, but it's noticeable. I will say that I think Shadows Fall is closer in sound to melodeath than a band like BFMV or something.

Anyways, since someone above mentioned them I feel compelled to post some good SF songs.

And my personal favorite

Regardless of what genre people want to call them, I think that band had more melody than most can shake a stick at. While we're crossing borders, here's some other super melodic shit that I know isn't quite melodeath but I think fans of the genre will still like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40ivTqlsg98

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Let's keep this subgenres thing out of here please. It's annoying, it's always been annoying, and your opinion won't be the exception or the one that sways someone to think otherwise. For me, when someone brings up the subgenre thing it almost feels like when someone tries to squeeze bits about religion or politics into the conversation. It just causes everyone to start arguing over nothing.

For the record though, Shadows Fall's first albums are considered melodeath before fully shifting to metalcore. I don't think the sound is honestly that much different between both subgenres, but it's noticeable. I will say that I think Shadows Fall is closer in sound to melodeath than a band like BFMV or something.

Anyways, since someone above mentioned them I feel compelled to post some good SF songs.

And my personal favorite

Regardless of what genre people want to call them, I think that band had more melody than most can shake a stick at. While we're crossing borders, here's some other super melodic shit that I know isn't quite melodeath but I think fans of the genre will still like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40ivTqlsg98

"Let's keep this subgenres thing out of here please. It's annoying, it's always been annoying, and your opinion won't be the exception or the one that sways someone to think otherwise."
.....proceeds to make arguement for own opinion on said sub-genres :shrug:

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
"Let's keep this subgenres thing out of here please. It's annoying, it's always been annoying, and your opinion won't be the exception or the one that sways someone to think otherwise."
.....proceeds to make arguement for own opinion on said sub-genres :shrug:

I think the point went right past you. If you didn't get it, it was something boiling down to this:

Quit being an elitist prick.

pahulkster

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wages of Sin is so damn good. I remember playing GTA 3 for hours and hours with that album looping on the custom radio station you could make. Saw that tour in a small club and they were the best band I had seen live up to that point.

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Imagine being a real dog person. You love dogs, you grew up with them, you've always had dogs in your life and they mean a lot to you. Not only do you love to have dogs around you but you're passiomate about the history of dogs and the domestication and breeding processes. You know all the different breeds, where they came from and what makes them special.

And then one day, you see something on TV. It's about dogs. Huh, interesting. You sit down and watch. It's a program about dogs alright. But something's wrong. That's obviously not a dog on the screen. In fact, it's a cat but somebody taped floppy ears to its head to make it look like a dog. The show goes on for an hour and keeps referring to the cat with floppy ears as a dog. You're confused but you also get a bit uncomfortable because this is prime time TV and you know that EVERYBODY is watching.

The next day you go outside and you see a dog you haven't seen before. When you get closer you realize that's actually a cat but it has those same floppy ears taped to its head. Huh.

A week later you're at work and at lunch the conversation veers towards dogs. Oh boy, you get excited because you just love talking about dogs. It's your passion, it's your whole life. But when you happily mention something about playing fetch with a golden retriever you're met with blank stares. It's as if your co-workers don't understand you. "Sooo aaanyway", one of them start saying as they turn back to face each other. "I was just cleaning the litterbox of my lovely doggydog and you wouldn't belieeeeve how he purred, it was like the chorus of angels. And then he vomited out a furball right onto the carpet."

Unfortunately, that's only the start of it. A year later you don't even remember the last time you spoke to somebody who knew the difference between a golden retriever and a german shepherd. But really though, you're just an elitist prick. At least that's what people tell you. You're the problem.