Your pick of preference? Help me find a good pick!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Velokki, May 28, 2017.

1. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Hi guys!

I've been a religious user of the pink Dunlop Delrin 1.14 mm picks.

I've bought a 72-pack of them twice. Now I've realized during my years of playing with them that they wear out very quickly, and I'm always after picks that have a sharp tip, and have a ton of of dull ones laying around.

Now, I like my picks hard and stiff. I like the Delrin, but maybe it's just a tad bit too big.

Now I'm looking to change my "daily driver" pick to something new and better. What picks would you recommend for me, knowing that I appreciate a stiff pick?

I'm also trying to make my playing as consistent as possible, and I did try a pick with a bevelled O-shape in the body of it - so one's finger goes naturally into the same place every time, and you get a better grip of the pick. Because there is an "anchor point"/special physical feature on the pick, my hand could immediately tell how I was holding it. That pick was a super thick 2mm pick, and far from perfect, but I feel that having a pick with some kind of texture/bump/bevel could really help having the pick in the hand always the same way. One problem with the Delrins is that they really have no special physical features/bumps/etc, if you know what I mean - leading to inconsistencies in the way I hold my pick.

Any recommendations for a quality pick?

Dawn of the Shred likes this.
  2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Stage IV GAS

some of my personal favorites in order of least to most expensive:
    jazz III max grip (very stiff, decent durability, cheap, little bit more pick noise than others)
    winspear shiv bloodline (very durable/sharp tip that actually stays sharp, minimal pick noise, slightly warmer tone)
    chicken pick jazz shape (very stiff/pretty durable, brighter/chirpier sound compared to the gravity gold or blue chip)
    gravity pick gold series mini sunrise (basically a jazz iii shape but thicker, minimal pick noise, stiff with a sharper tip than a normal jazz iii, wears faster than the winspear or blue chip, pricey)
    blue chip jazz 60 (stiff, fast, minimal pick noise and very durable but also quite pricey)
    It really depends what you're willing to spend on one pick. Best bang for your buck as far as durability/price/tip retention is the winspear or the max grips.
    Also depends on what kind of sound you want.

3. Dredg

Dredg Insignificant Contributor

Jazz 3 bone. It has a natural grip that holds, but doesn't resist you if you deliberately adjust your grip. Also, its bone so it doesn't wear out very fast.

4. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Thanks guys, gonna check those out!

I'm not afraid to pay premium for quality, so higher prices are a go.
    Can you link that Jazz 3 Bone? It's not made by Dunlop, is it?

5. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Dunlop Tortex Sharp for me :metal: I was using a few variations of the Jazz III before, but I far prefer the tips on the Sharps

6. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Chugs and Sweeps

Dunlop Blackout Jazz III for me but also every once in a while Dunlop Sharps the white ones not sure the thickness and sometimes the Dunlop Big Stubby

7. pearl_07

pearl_07 SS.org Regular

I've used the Dunlop .88 Tortex forever, but recently I've been buying the Medium/Heavy variety packs from Dunlop and I keep wearing out the 1.14 Ultex Sharps before the others.

8. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

9. Dredg

Dredg Insignificant Contributor

http://www.timber-tones.com/jazz-tones-48-c.asp

The horn varieties are also pretty good.

Do note that they will not be exactly identical, each pick may vary slightly.

10. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

I'm a Jazz III die hard. I never thought I would like them, was a Sharps loyalist before giving them a shot and now I'll try different ones, but they're the best. I strongly recommend buying a pack of them (they last nearly forever) and giving the shape a shot to see if it works for you. I alternate between the JP Jazz III (a good transition JIII) and the V2s which are my current favorite. I have a pack of Primetones, which sound brighter, but the attack is better on both the JP and the V2. I'd love to try out some of those bone and horn ones though.

11. Soya

Soya Poor person

I'd also recommend Winspear, the metal logo on the pick will help it "index" in the same spot on your grip. The UHMWPE picks stay sharp for quite a while for me.

12. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

He likes them hard, stiff, not too big, and pink...hmm...what else is like that? :rofl:

Seriously though, I'm here to recommend Winspear as well as a few others.
    My favorites are Winspear, Plexstrum, and Wegen. (Not yet tried but on my list are also BlueChip and BHL Picks)

Winspear is just all around awesome and where you should probably start.
    Plexstrum picks are more ergonomic versions of Winspear sorta and they come with a higher price tag for the same material. They do have a lower-grade thermoplastic but it wears quicker than the standard UHMWPE variety.
    I can't really tell if my Wegens have worn or not. lol They still work and aren't dull. Can't remember what they looked like initially since I've owned those same 4 picks for 6+ years. (If that tells you anything about their durability). Nothing has beat the speed of those picks for me since they have speed bevels. I can't play Dunlop Primetones because they don't make them with left-handed bevels (I hold my pick like Misha Mansoor used to).

13. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Thanks guys for the recommendations! Gonna put these to test.
    I've now played two days with an Ibanez Paul Gilbert 1 mm pick. It feels fantastic. Also Musza's own signature picks, that came with a Skervesen I bought, are killer.

14. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Green tortex, Dava grip and jazz tips [delrin and nylon], and jazz IIIs [black ice/pitch black, tortex, regular black, etc]

15. Vletrmx

Vletrmx ζ

I've sworn by these Jazz III "Stiffo" for 10+ years. If you're coming from a larger pick it's going to take some getting used to. I don't particularly like grips on my picks since I find that I don't lose grip on them often and like to be able to shift them around anyway so it might not be your cup of tea.

However, they are incredibly articulate and actually kind of bright for a thicker "Jazz" pick. They also wear real nicely with edges beveled similar to the Primetone picks Dunlop are selling nowadays.

16. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I kinda don't like those picks until they've worn in. Actually, I don't like any pick until it's worn in.

Vletrmx likes this.
  17. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

Black Ultex Jazz III 2.0
    Great grip and attack.

18. El Caco

El Caco Djavli te ponesli Contributor

I need some more but Dava Nickel Control is my favourite.

19. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass Deathly Chuuni

Dunlop tortex .88mm and 1.14mm are what I use.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  20. maggotspawn

maggotspawn SS.org Regular

Dunlop Gatorgrip 2.00 mm here.