Your Go-To Guitar

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by DrakkarTyrannis, Jul 12, 2020.

1. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

Out of all the guitars in your stable..what's the one you've bonded with the most?

Interesting stories about it?

What are the specs?

Why's that one guitar special?

mlp187 likes this.
  2. bzhang9

bzhang9 SS.org Regular

2005 rg1570 mirage blue with titans
    my 1st quality guitar, always my stage guitar
    IMO around the period of highest quality prestiges, more solid than newer prestiges I've tried
    sick finish especially under lighting, incredible tuning stability, lowest action, sweet cleans with the HSH config, still the best playing 6 after owning many many more expensive guitars

Rosal76, Ordacleaphobia and Matt08642 like this.
  3. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

I’m gonna have to mirror what @bzhang9 said. Mine by default is an RG570 lying around by my amps, and it is just easy and does all things well.

Surveyor 777 likes this.
  4. chipchappy

chipchappy thudmaster

Jackson USA SL2h. Plain black and boring as shit but whatever, you can't hear how a guitar looks anyway.

I love it, it will always be my number one.

5. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

4E1F8C63-8020-4F75-872F-64148C750579.jpeg

That. Wife bought it for me back in 2012; we really couldn’t afford it back then but it was a once in a lifetime thing. Buddy started building guitars and offered me one for a sick deal.

Bartlett ‘59 template, ebony board, SS frets (in 2012!) gold MOP inlays. I don’t play it as much as I used to; it’s heavy and I’m 46. Slays all for doom/sludge tho, and it’s uniquely mine. No other guitar I know of has these specs or this color, dude mixed it up special out of like 3 other colors and it doesn’t exist anywhere else.

PRS McCarty pickups the last few years, thinking I need to change it up tho.

6. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Too many for a go-to. Also depends on what needs a setup.

If my prs s2 wasn't in C it would probably be the teaching guitar.

7. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    I don't have that many guitars, about 7 I call mine and an 8th for the kids, although it has been resting for some time now. From the 7, I mainly use 3, the twins RG2027XVVs (those from the beginning of the millennium) and one RG7421 from that era either, thought bought much later, all MIJ. All of the 3 are modded, especially the 7421 which received a professionally Stainless Steel re-fret recently. It is worth it, it's like having a new guitar, but without having to break it in, it just sings... both 2027s will receive the same upgrade, but latter down the road.

My first RG2027XVV came to my hands in January 2002, the second about 14 years later (there's thread here about it). They met themselves before they became both mine, for I attended a workshop with it's previous owner.

Why are these my main guitars? simply because they're just so plug'n'pleasure. The 2027s received the Freeway 5B5-01 10 way switch which made them deliver about 21 different tones, the 7421 also has a Freeway switch, but the 3X3-05 ultra switch and some other mimics that make it deliver 145 different switching options. Some are much alike, others are truly different.

Super fun guitars to play with at clean or crunch gain levels, lots of different textures from the coil and piezo combos.

8. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

I have 3, all of which I never imagined would be my go-to guitars:
    20200712_191033~2.jpg
    The LP is 24.75", 490T in the bridge, 490R in the neck, in E standard. I actually shred with it the most, but when I need the tremolo I wail on the LTD, 25.5" with a duncan Distortion and EMG +20dB boost. The SG is 24.75" in d standard w/ a 57 Classic Plus in the bridge, 490R in the neck. I added a TP6 knock-off that is really high quality, and a kahler lock post-nut. It sounds soooooo good. I have some other amazing guitars in my collection that are objectively better, like an EBMM Majesty BFR and a modded and decked out Partscaster to name a couple, but these are the ones that sit well in my hands and just I just gel with them.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  9. stevexc

stevexc SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

This guy right here. Serves me well enough for just about everything.

High Plains Drifter and mlp187 like this.
  10. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

RG2550E:

[​IMG]

Picked it up used locally, best playing guitar I own. Love the DiMarzio/IBZ pickups, and wouldn't change a thing about it.

11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire sso's unofficial pickup hoarder

my good ole PRS mushok.
    27.7" scale. mahog body/neck, ebony fretboard.
    I have way more expensive and nicer guitars but this one just meshes with me. The guitar is just really comfy for me, especially the neck. Thinner necks make my hand cramp up after extended playing, but I've never had an issue with this neck.
    Definitely doesn't hurt that it sustains forever and sounds great too.
    I swapped the tuners for hipshot locking ones and the knobs for o-rings. I might go for all black hardware at a later date but right now I actually like the mix of chrome and black.
    20200629_110320.jpg

12. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

I have a US CS Soloist. But the cheap Japanese Dinky beside it is my go-to. Has been with me for most of my gigs from the start. And it has this snappy tone that I really like. She's a workhorse too. Can't believe people just sell these guitars for like $300 a piece.

FB_IMG_1594611965346.jpg

13. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

C2D72FED-6704-499B-AA27-FA632847F759.jpeg

My 2008 Gibson Les Paul Axcess. My first Gibson and also my first guitar with a Floyd Rose. If this was a Strat, I could properly say that this is my pride and joy (pun intended!).

This is the only guitar in my collection that I won't go out of standard on, mainly because I have no real need to take it out of standard. All my other guitars, I'll do whatever the hell I want with tunings because the rest of my guitars don't have locking nuts/tremolos to worry about.

Specs wise, pickups are a Burstbucker 1 (neck) and 2 (bridge), and stock Gibson pots. I got the pickup selector switched out last year because I wanted to do the Randy Rhoads killswitch that he used to and needless to say, that wasn't the best idea out there I had. So basically, everything except the pickup selector is original.

So yeah, this is my number one guitar that I absolutely cherish.

14. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

15. rikwebb

rikwebb SS.org Regular

My LTD Eclipse EC-1000, since i got it (about 11 years ago) , its the guitar that i reach for 80% of the time (other 20% is either 7 string stuff or my Melody maker that's tuned to open C)

budda likes this.
  16. BeyonThe7thSeal

BeyonThe7thSeal SS.org Regular

I have two. My Ibanez 7420/7620. I’m not sure 100% on why it does, but it is a 1999 7620 1 piece maple neck on a 7420 body and I just love the neck, super flat and comfortable and I swapped out the Duncan designed humbucker the previous owner installed when he practically destroyed the thing wiring it himself, and I dropped a nice green DiMarzio Imperium in the bridge and it just snarls that perfect thrash tone. And my Jackson Demmelition, it used to be my Ltd DV-8R but that was my first real guitar and the Demmel allowed me to retire the Mustaine. I’ve never been huge on modern Jacksons but this one is the best one I’ve ever had the opportunity to play.

Attached Files:

17. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

My Ibanez AZ. After 10s of guitars, this one is really perfect for me all around. Incredibly reasonant, versatile and comfortable. Just love it to bits.

20200512_143628.jpg

18. Glades

Glades Down in the Everglades

19. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

My seafoam green LP classic is my main go to for now tuned to D standard. But I have a tele, and my ibanez 7 string, and a strat, and a jaguar that find themselves in heavy rotation too depending on what I'm doing.

I dropped this one so it has a big gouge on the bottom near the input jack now... :( And it has a hairline crack in the neck near the headstock, but it still sounds and plays great. lol /facepalm
    Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 8.48.09 AM.png

20. belleswell

belleswell SS.org Regular

Ibanez J Custom RG3 with tri-sound switching. My fave player out of 3 dozen guitars.

Good wood he said with a grunt.

[​IMG]