Your 2018 Best Of Album List

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by JD27, Dec 4, 2018.

1. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

It is for me, the album is a grower. I just gave it a couple of spins and thought the same as you in relation to Formulas, after listening to it in the background (my wife loves it and gives it a spin now and then) I like it quite a lot.

2. Fierce_Swe

Fierce_Swe SS.org Regular

Judas Priest - Firepower
    Michael Romeo - War of the Worlds Part 1. :fever:

3. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

Super late addition to my list;

KailM likes this.
  4. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Redemption - Long Nights Journey Into Day (once I got over the fact that Tom was singing vocal lines written for Ray)
    LANY - Malibu Nights
    Revocation - The Outer Ones
    Owane - Yeah Whatever
    Addis - Visitant
    Dead Letter Circus - Dead Letter Circus

Honestly, that’s all I can think of off the top of my head. Probably some other ones mentioned already that I’m forgetting...

5. beneharris

beneharris SS.org Regular

Holy poo. Roy Kahn is putting out music again? Heck yeah.

6. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Lots of diy bands on here so if any of this peaks anyones interest let me know and I can provide some links.

In no particular order

Closet Witch - s/t - chaotic polytical mathy grindcore from Iowa. Seriously the best people I've ever met through playing music, and one of the most exciting bands to see live. They tour pretty relentlessly so if ya get a chance to see them definitely take it up.

Euth - s/t - mathy dissonant hardcore with heavy black metal vibes from whyoming. Imagine if botch used alot of those "deathspell Omega chords" and condensed thier songs to about half thier length but still retained all the Dynamics and showcased just as many musical ideas.

Respire - Denouement - blackened screamo/post rock from Canada. Features liberal use of trumpet and violin. Ranges from sweepingly epic, to soul crushingly sad, to beautiful, to just straight up HEAVY.

Niboowin - Breathing - "epic" sounding blackened screamo from michigan with some really sick dual lead guitars that sound like nods to trade metal like iron maiden & Slayer. Really cool to see them pay homage to that style while still sounding fresh n modern. Features former members of Old Soul. Great album for all this snow that's piled up right now

Earl Sweatshirt - some rap songs - very lo fi jazz influenced "emotional" hip hop. A great follow up to I don't like shit.... Other than death grips I'd say that Earl is probably one of the most innovative rappers going right now. I would call this album truly abstract/experimental hip hop.

The Armed - Only Love - supergroup/collective from Michigan. New album was produced & engineered by Kurt ballou at god city and features ben koller on drums. Combines elements of hardcore, black metal, metalcore, screamo, harsh noise, and aggressive electronic music. Probably my top release of the year.

Malevich - Split w/Iron Gag - blackened grindcore from Georgia. Had the pleasure of booking them and letting them stay at my house. Amazing musicians playing some brutal music but somehow still the sweetest people ever.

Secret Cutter - Quantum Eraser - straight up sludge metal from Pennsylvania. Absolutely crushing. Kinda wish they incorporated more fast grindy riffs like thier old stuff, but if you want something that feels claustrophobic and just plain heavy as fuck then this album is for you.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  7. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

This band is sooooo good. I'll jump to get on a show whenever they come around. So much energy.

broj15 likes this.
  8. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Truly the best. I see yourey in Madison, WI. I'm assuming you're familiar with The Central, right?

9. GunpointMetal

Good friends of ours. Frankie did a vocal spot on our last EP, actually.

broj15 likes this.
  10. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Woah no shit. My band did a quick lil run with them about a year ago. Frankie and Alex are both such good musicians it makes me wanna just give up every time I watch them play.

Either way, small world.

Oh and link me your bands material if you don't mind.

GunpointMetal likes this.
  11. GunpointMetal

Yeah, they're insanely talented and super hard working.
    There's a bandcamp link in my sig line. What band are you in?

broj15 likes this.