Your 2018 Best Of Album List

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by JD27, Dec 4, 2018.

1. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Yes. And bring a friend.

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  2. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

This just made mine along with Vouna's debut album:

3. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

Here's my final list:

Tier 1

Conception - My Dark Symphony EP

They sound like the took a break of two years, not 20. Pretty strong ass comeback. Would have liked a few more heavy/uptempo tracks though.

Skyglow - Thousand Years of Terror

This is the closest I've ever heard anyone get to Mekong Delta-style riffing and songwriting. Vocals are generic screamy stuff, but the music is top shelf. Russian dudes, I believe.

Barren Earth - A Complex of Cages

Barren Earth are basically a combination of every band that was good 15 years ago and stinks now. Opeth, Katatonia, Amorphis style music with tons of tasty keys, great songwriting and great variety. They finally found their own style with this album, even though the influences are sometimes pretty obvious.

Vola - Applause of a Distant Crowd

While certainly not terrible, the djenty riffs were always the worst thing about this band IMO. On this album, they cut them down to about 20 percent and focused more on the vocals and keyboards. Easily one of the best young prog bands right now.

Sulphur Aeon - The Scythe of Cosmic Chaos

Perfectly executed Lovecraftian death metal. Manages to be dark and sinister without sacrificing melody and manages to be melodic without sounding like a wussy melodic death metal band.

Lychgate - The Contagion in Nine Steps

Because distorted church organs, that's why. Hard to describe avantgarde black/doom metal, but sometimes the music and vocals remind me a lot of maudlin of the Well and the first Kayo Dot album.

Sacral Rage - Beyond Celestial Echoes

If you want cult prog thrash/US power, this is all you need. Might be a future classic in this style and if you like Helstar, Annihilator, Watchtower, Agent Steel, etc. you need this.

Alkaloid - Liquid Anatomy

Prog death perfection. Get you a band that can do both Morbid Angel and 80s Yes all within the same song.

Slugdge - Esoteric Malacology

It's hard to explain just how catchy and well-written this slab of death metal is. Looking at the name and then finding out that the band writes concept albums about worshiping snail gods, you'd think it would be something that's super hard to get into, but it's just ripping, melodic, progressive death metal all the way that will have you singing the riffs as you lay in bed praying to the grand molluscan deities.

Ihsahn - Amr

The best thing about Ihsahn is that he does what he does and really doesn't give a shit if you like it. I've never fully liked an entire solo album of his, but they are always interesting to listen to. This one finds Ihsahn searching for his inner pop star and it turns out that he's pretty darn good at writing catchy, more accessible material.

Tier 2

Kevin Hufnagel - Messages to the Past

Kevin pays tribute to his guitar heroes of the past with beautiful, majestic all-guitar instrumental metal.

Voices - Frightened

Akercocke-related dudes put out another great album of weirdness. A combination of post-punk/goth vibes and extreme metal leanings.

Voivod - The Wake

Chewy finally lets his balls hang and delivers the Voivod album he always had inside him. You really couldn't ask for a better Voivod album in 2018.

Howling Sycamore - s/t

Weird combination of sounds that shouldn't work but does. Dude from Ephel Duath creates weirdo black metal and recruits Jason McMaster to sing over it. There's also obligatory Zorn-esque saxophone squealing, because why not?

Azusa - Heavy Yoke

As long as there are Extol riffs involved, just sign me the fuck up. There are Extol riffs here. Bassist from Dilling Escape Plan is also on board and I think it's the drummer from Spital Architect offshoot Twisted into Form. The music sounds how you would expect that combo to sound and it's topped off by a pretty cool screamy but also melodic-when-needed female vocalist. Underrated release.

Gorod - Aethra

These guys have very consistently been one of my fav and most original sounding tech death bands. I love the jangly Mastodon-esque guitars on this release, just because it's just a so non-tech-death thing to do. Album doesn't disappoint in the widdly diddly department either.

Soreption - Monument of the End

This album basically sounds like Decapitated - Organic Hallucinosis on tons of steroids, which is pretty freaking awesome IMO. Insanely tight tech death that packs as much groove as it does shred.

Revocation - The Outer Ones

Good stuff as usual from these guys. Even though it's hard to say anything bad about the album, I kind of miss fun Revocation.

Augury - Illusive Golden Age

Basically same comment as for Gorod. A tech death band that has always stood out from the crowd of sterile robot bands. After 9 years they don't disappoint.

Satan - Cruel Magic

Might be my least favorite since the reunion, but still, top shelf trad metal that's better than everything the kids trying to emulate that sounds are putting out.

Tier 3

Obliteration - Cenotaph Obscure

Tasty old school death metal. Great atmosphere, riffs for days.

Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want

Noise/art rock metal. Whatever the fuck it is, it's pretty engaging.

Horrendous - Idol

These guys have always tried to balance between being oldschool death metal and taking some chances. They added a fretless bass player for this release and put out an album that anyone who grew up on Individual Thought Patterns, Spheres, Elements, etc. should love.

Zeal & Ardor - Strange Fruit

Combination of black metal and African-American spirituals/gospel that sometimes succeeds and sometimes doesn't. Pretty fun listen though.

Yob - Our Raw Heart

Not my favorite Yob but a very emotional record from Mike after fighting for his life and making it back to music.

A Forest of Stars - Grave Mounds and Grave Mistakes

Weirdo black metal. An entertaining listen even though sometimes the vocals border on comedy.

King Goat - Debt of Aeons

Proggy doom with a singer that sounds like Messiah Marcolin and Alan from Primordial had a kid.

Primordial - Exile Amongst the Ruins

Can't really expect anything new from them at this point, but another solid record with some cool post-punk influences thrown in to make a bit more exciting.

Zealotry - At the Nexus of All Stillborn Worlds

Weirdo tech death with guitar solos that sounds like aliens ejaculating.

Convulsing - Grievous

Dissonant, proggy black/death with a Porcupine Tree cover that actually somehow works.

chopeth, gunch and gunshow86de like this.
  4. Glades

Glades Down in the Everglades

#1 Slugdge - Esoteric Malacology
    #2 Rivers of Nihil - Where Owls Know My Name
    #3 Beyond Creation - Algorythm

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    BusinessMan likes this.
  5. Sammy J

Sammy J SS.org Regular

1. Soreption - Monument of the End

This album is basically everything I want in a tech death release. Chunky, tight, and riffy.

2. Gorod - Aethra

Love me some Gorod. A little less tech than some previous releases, but song writing is great and some nice riffs too. Quality production.

3. Rivers of Nihil - Where Owls Know My Name

Loved this release. 'Monarchy' is still my main squeeze, but WOKMN is stylistically a really big leap for them. Looking forward to what's next.

4. Alkaloid - Liquid Anatomy

This album makes me laugh. So mental.

There's others I've liked, but can't recall off the top of my head.

6. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

10) Chatmonchy - Tanjou. (Quirky Japanese indie stuff.)

[​IMG]

(They haven't put anything from this album on YouTube, so you'll have to live without. Sucks to be you!)

9) Dimmu Borgir - Eonian. (Norwegian symphonic black metal.)

[​IMG]

8 ) Megaherz - Komet. (Neue deutsche härte.)

[​IMG]

7) Uso To Chameleon - Wotoshiana. (Japanese math rock)

[​IMG]

6) Marduk - Viktoria. (Swedish black metal)

[​IMG]

5) Angra - ØMNI. (Brazilian Progressive/Power metal)

[​IMG]

4) Band Maid - World Domination. (Japanese hard rock)

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpAYnVJX9CY

3) Pig Destroyer - Head Cage. (US Grindcore)

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IMhNSro3GE

2) Sleep - The Sciences. (US stoner doom)

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZv1R1VPRsw

1) Necry Talkie - ONE! (Quirky Japanese indie rock)

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7_cFQrQNz8

7. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

Kamasi Washington - Heaven & Earth
    Vista Kicks - Twenty Something Nightmare
    ACTORS - It Will Come To You
    Ghost - Prequelle
    Slugdge - Esoteric Malacology
    Denzel Curry - Ta13oo

8. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

Svavelvinter- Morkrets Tid
    Seventh Wonder- Tiara
    Hoth- Astral Necromancy
    In Vain- Currents
    Inferi- Revenant

9. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

THANK YOU for putting genres in yours. I've just ignored all these lists that are a bunch of names I don't recognize with no explanation. I'll be checking out some of these for sure.

Thanks even more to DLG for write-ups! More stuff to check out.

AdamMaz likes this.
  10. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Holy fuck, every song on this Slugdge album is somehow better than the last. That's some of the tastiest tech death riffing I've heard since Beyond Creation's The Aura. Slide that album into my list for sure.

11. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

Man, I've tried a few times to get into that Slugdge album, just based off how much people here are whose tastes seem to line up with mine are loving it. It just hasn't clicked with me.

buriedoutback, iamaom and AdamMaz like this.
  12. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

I am somewhere in between these two comments with respect to the Slugdge album. The playing and sound/production is nice, but I can't get over every single song ranging from 6-7 minutes that strike as somewhere between sounding Pop and a failed attempt at Prog. Songwriting could easily be more concise.

13. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

I wouldn't call slugdge tech death. I like it moderately though. There is something very catchy in their last album, but I'm afraid it dies soon.

14. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

It definitely tapers off but it's a hell of a start out of the gate I'll give them that.

AdamMaz likes this.
  15. Kidneythief

Kidneythief SS.org Regular

In no particular order (and with links to some things that I can only just recommend), and with no particular attention to any genre. I love to mix things up, and not just listen to one type of music.

A Perfect Circle - Eat the Elephant; I don't really know why, because at first I only liked maybe 1-2 songs from this album, but after a couple of spins it started to grow on me more and more, until there was no escape, and I just got sucked in. Maynard -while still being a goofy and weird character- is a very very good lyricist, and I really like his voice and singing style. I can't wait for that Tool album though.

The Devil's Trade - What happened to the little blind crow; I would recommend to check this out, it's a sort of dark, folky project from a favourite singer and countryman of mine. What I really like about this is, that it is very raw, and the lyrics sound very honest. Tracks: "Your own hell", "No one here" are a must.

Sleep - The Sciences; it's Sleep...nothing really to explain here, I'm a sucker for anything Al Cisneros does, and off-course the almighty Matt Pike!

Tribulation - Down Below; I only recently discovered Tribulation, and I just feel bummed out, that I only discovered them now. Somehow feels so different from anything else. I got into them by discovering first the acoustic project of their guitarist Jonathan Hultén. (Give that guy also a listen while your at it)

Nine Inch Nails - The Bad Witch EP; I mean...it's from Trent Reznor. I'm biased in this matter, because I've been his fan for like 15 years...

Rabbit Junk - Rabbit Junk Will Die: Meditation on mortality; sort of underground industrial/hardclash band from Seattle. Mixing raw electronics, with punky riffs and D&B/sometimes dubsteppy beats. Don't let the description scare you, give it a spin, and you'll find out why it's good. A lot of the songs are catchy as f*ck, and it just gets me moving. Try the tracks: Shadow Horizon, Gravity Hero

The Black Queen - Infinite Games; I'm loving the fact, that Greg Puciato is doing this project/band of his. It is so much different from Dillinger Escape Plan. Some might look at it as bein "untrue" or I don't know what. But hell, give it a listen. It's really really good.

Sunnata - Outlands; Polish sludge/doom band, whom I discovered by a happy accident, and it's just stunning and crushing. Give the track "Outlands" a go...it's so hipnotical, and trippy. They performed with Mastodon and other big names, so you know they must be good.

zappatton2 and BlackMastodon like this.
  16. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

Kind of disappointed no one has mentioned Greyhavens album Empty Black. It was my album of the year head and shoulders above my number 2, that being Slugdge.

I've seen some people compare them to Everytime I die but I've never really listened to them aside from a few one off songs so I don't know if that's a good comparison. In any case the album is super intense and fuckin slays.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  17. FloridaRolf

FloridaRolf SS.org Regular

In no particular order:

Baest - Danse Macabre
    Beyond Creation - Algorythm
    Bloodbath - The Arrow Of Satain Is Drawn
    Coffin Birth - The Serpent Insignia
    Primordial - Exile Amongst The Ruins
    Runemagick - Evoked from Abysmal Sleep

Other mentions
    Firepower form Judas Priest was surprisingly good, yet a lot of filler stuff
    Behemoth wasn't bad but expected a lot more

Disappointment of the year was definitely Down Below from Tribulation, it still baffles me how they now try to sound like metal Depeche Mode. They may succeed with that - but the side effect is sounding like total shit. The Formulas Of Death is one of my favorite albums of all time, so that disappointment hit me twice, after the last album was pretty weak too.

18. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

Not having heard the most recent one, perhaps it is safe to say that they jumped crowds with the change of sound/style. I completely gave up on them after having seen them live performing material focused on the 2nd album.

19. ThtOthrPrsn

ThtOthrPrsn Unconventional

1) Monuments - Phronesis
    2) Travis Scott - Astroworld
    3) Erra - Neon
    4) Don Broco - Technology
    5) Reason - There You Have It

sirbuh likes this.
  20. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

Agree. The Formulas of Death was an amazing album. I have no idea what they are trying to do, jump onto the occult rock bandwagon or something, but it's not working for me.

AdamMaz likes this.