Yet another which pickup-thread...

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Jarmake, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

Howdy guys.

So, here's the thing: I've got a rg7620 which has white korina w/ thick maple cap body. Current pickups are dimarzio blaze's and I'm not very impressed with them. They aren't bad, but a bit bland and tasteless to me and the sound of the 7th string isn't tight enough. So, I'd like some pup suggestions at this point!

I play everything from 70's psychedelic rock to pop and black metal. So, the pups should be good for anything from deep purple to anaal nakhrath.

I have loved evo 2 and steve morse signatures on my 6 stringer (which honestly aren't all that similar to each other), and hated sd's JB and dimarzio's liquifire.

So, from singing creamy leads to harsh, precise killing. Good sounds when split is a huge bonus too. Any ideas?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  2. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar come├ža...
    Which blaze do you have at the bridge? Is it the "original" or the Custom? I find the Custom pretty similar to the Evo7, maybe a little darker... Have you tried the D-Sonic at the bridge? Sounds great in Basswood...

Jarmake likes this.
  3. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

It's the normal "original" blaze. I have heard good things about the blaze custom. Haven't tried d-sonic yet... but it seems to be a very dynamic and articulate pup if reviews are to be believed. Maybe this is just what I need! Thanks for the suggestion!

4. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

The PAF 7 sounds a lot better in the bridge than I would've expected. I find, in general, humbuckers with lower outputs can cover a lot of ground sonically- they'll sound all nice and vintagey under lower gain, and retain a certain clarity under higher gain.

With the amount of gain modern amps/sims are capable of, you'll have no problem pushing low-output pickups into the heavier territory.

5. NickS

NickS Rocket Surgeon

I've been leaning this way lately too. I think it is almost better to go with lower output on the pickup and rely on the amp or modeler to give you the high gain stuff, since it is more likely to
    be able to up the dirty factor but it is sometimes impossible to get a good clean sound if the pickup has too much output.

6. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I have a Blaze Custom bridge and PAF7 neck in a 7620 and I like them a lot. I'm curious to try out an Evo7 I have spare as well, but not because of any faults in the BC.

I used to have an Evo2 in a 6 string RG and liked it as well. Compared to the Evo2, I'd say the Blaze Custom is a little warmer and thicker in the mids and maybe a little more aggressive in voicing. It works well combined with the neck pickup for cleans, but I probably wouldn't choose it if I were primarily playing lighter stuff with this guitar.

Also like you, I've grown apart from my love of the Liquifire neck. I started finding it was just too mushy and cloudy in the mids and attack. Great for shredding, but nothing else IMO. The PAF is a bit lower output, great for cleans and driven tones, very articulate, and can still deliver for shredding if needed, but with a different flavor.

7. darkinners

darkinners my fingers are lame

BKP black dogs, they are incredibly versatile. From old man's rock to full on chugging
    Of cos it won't be as tight as ceramic pickups but close enough.