Xmen- days of future past

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by soliloquy, May 25, 2014.

1. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

Im surprised a thread for it doesnt exist...

Just saw it today. I liked it, though i was expecting spectacular like first class.

Im glad they didnt touch too deeply into bishop; never liked him

Im curious if i saw cable in one of the characters they showed briefly; a young bald cable with the eye tattoo? Edit- thats ink, not cable

Your thoughts?

apocalypse at the end with 4 horsemen should be interesting. Though i wonder how they'll bring arch angel into the mix as they showed him in the last stand...

setsuna7 likes this.
  2. setsuna7

setsuna7 Poor Gearwhore

Saw it last saturday, awesome stuff!!
    En Sabah Nur! En Sabah Nur!! En Sabah Nur!!
    Can't wait for the next one!!

3. groverj3

groverj3 Bioinformagician

Best X-Men movie by far! Really really excited for Apocalypse!

I wish there had been a little more fighting in the future, but what there was was satisfying.

4. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Saw it last night.

I've never really been a fan of the X-Men comics, or comics in general. I got into Spider-Man a bit as a kid, but that was it. However, even I as a non-comic fan could see some pretty glaring logical issues. And then knowing what I know about some of the characters, there are other problems that will annoy the shit out of many actual comic fans.

Having said that, it was still a hugely entertaining romp. Quicksilver's big scene was especially great.

One thing I will mention is that HOLY CRAP they really pushed the boundaries of what is acceptable violence under the PG-13/14A ratings, possibly even more than the recent Batman films. They've got mutants getting torn in half, stabbed at multiple angles, their heads getting beaten in, even getting decapitated. And one of the very first scenes of the movie features a Holocaust-esque body dumping. But it's all bloodless because all the mutants are in "mutant mode" when it all happens, so they still managed to avoid the R rating.

One thing I'm kinda worried about is, for Avengers: Age of Ultron, the Quicksilver in that movie just won't be as cool as the one here, considering it's a different actor and by all means a different character with a different background as well.

5. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

Quicksilver in xmen is supposed to be a twin to scarlet witch...no mention of her. In avengers, quick silver and scarlet which are NOT related to magneto, nor have any relations to xmen, nor are 'mutants'.

Disney's marvel ownership doesnt include xmen. Thus there are things that avengers can do, and things that marvel's xmen can do, but their worlds will never be one.

Technically spiderman can never join xmen as he wasnt born that way, nor was he mutated.

Im wondering if they will ever touch upon takeo/legion/kevin/david/luke/lucas/paleon/professor x's child.

6. groverj3

One thing that worries me about where they go from here is that the sequel will be set in the 80s and star the younger cast. Age of Apocalypse was another dystopian future, although, essentially opposite to DOFP, with humans being second class citizens along with mutants that support them. So, this leads me to believe that this X-Men: Apocalypse movie won't be based on the actual Age of Apocalypse storyline. It'll just feature the titular villain.

That being said, I might have to go see this one again. It was good enough to warrant seeing twice.

Kitty having time-travel powers is a little odd, however, she has phasing powers in space... and since space is really "spacetime" I guess you could just explain away the time phasing as an extension of that.

7. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

for what its worth, apocalypse as a character doesn't really fall under any specific time. he is fighting cable a few thousand years in the future. he is making the pyramids a few thousand years in the past. he is finding his 4th horseman with the arch angel in the current time. so technically speaking, if the new movie takes place during the 80's with the 'first class' cast along with some younger people from the first x-men series, it would kind of make sense. maybe it would just have the main people like the jean, storm, cyclopes and someone else they killed off before the first xmen movie?

but from the news and all, apparently it would have some of the old characters and some of the new characters too. so a mix of both. should be interesting.

but maybe this time around, it will have actual time travel, full body and mind rather than just mind of one character.

8. canuck brian

canuck brian Bowes Guitars Contributor

If Sony owns the rights to Xmen and they're using Apocalypse now, how is that going to work for Marvel/Disney using Apocalypse? They've got a lot of legal headaches in place that prevent the cross use of characters.

9. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

That's how it was done in the comics. If anything, I find it a little odd (though completely understandable, from a marketing perspective) that the film makers decided to send Logan back, instead of Kitty.

Loved the film. One of my only small nits to pick was that the post-credits scene from The Wolverine - which attempted to set the stage for Days of Future Past - ended up not making much sense in the context presented by Days of Future Past.

I suppose any story that deals with time travel will invariably have paradoxes to pick apart. If that's the mind-set going in, one will probably not enjoy this film much. If one can set that aside and accept that fantasy is fantasy, this should be a great ride.

10. groverj3

True, but I was referring to her ability to send someone's consciousness back in time. In the comics it was Rachel Summers that had that ability.

Overall though, I thought it was a great movie.

11. Sicarius

Sicarius Reggie J Worthington

Marvel/Disney aren't going to use him in their phases. Thanos is their "big bad". He's a pretty big character in the mutant comics but not in the others, I don't recall anyone else fighting him except X-Men characters.

Kitty didn't have time travel powers in the comics, either. She was sent back by Rachel and Franklin. It would have been too big of an issue to try and put Rachel in the comic because she's Scott's and Jean's daughter in an alternate reality.

That's also another good way to make up for the continuity errors that have happened. I'm not sure why Singer is trying to make this all one whole timeline, it could easily be explained by just coming out and saying each movie has been an alternate earth with the original X-Men movies (and the Wolverine movies) all happening on Earth 616, where the rest of them take place on other ones.

I liked the movie a lot, I was worried that Singer would fudge it too much to "make it work", but he did a great job with DoFP. I'm looking forward to AoA a lot now.

12. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    For all that it had some huge span in terms of the situations, this felt like a really tiny film, rather than epic. The future scenes felt like they had only two physical sets, and then all CG for the rest. And the past stuff similarly felt like it mostly happened in tiny rooms.

And of course, now we have the Star Trek reboot situation, where all continuity issues are gone after the reset. *Anything* can happen! Wow! *laugh*

I understand wanting to make something which appeals to the fans, but hardcore fans are likely less than half the audience, because there are very few female hardcore fans to even approach the male numbers. I remember all the girlfriends and wives who loved (don't hate me bringing this up!) the Peter Parker/MJ stuff in the original Spiderman movies, and that helped drive the ticket numbers. Without that kind of thinking when working on the story, you just get to hear fanboi squabbling about how, say, Watchmen wasn't true enough to the comic. Movies are ultimately made to be profitable.

Speaking of having broad appeal, my partner *loves* action movies, but will tolerate something slower if it has a romantic angle. We saw DoFP yesterday, and she was like, too much talking, and none of it romantic, and I almost fell asleep twice. Ouch! It doesn't help that I also caught myself thinking about other things because the movie wasn't grabbing my attention. *laugh*

13. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

i was curious to see how will the relationship between mystique and magneto be mended provided the time travel didn't take place.

apparently ms. frost from first class made an illusion that made the world think it was magneto that hit JFK with the bullet. she also created some other stuff to screw up mystique, thus they went their separate ways. eventually realizing that it wasn't magneto, mystique comes back to magneto.

14. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Saw the movie on Tuesday and I liked it. I left before seeing all the end credits so I missed the Apocalypse appearance (damn). After X-men last stand and the awful Wolverine movies I was really disappointed with the X-men movies and that's why I still haven't seen First Class. I know that these movies have to appeal to a wider audience and you can't expect to have comic book accuracy but that doesn't mean you can't make good films, as the two first X-men movies showed.

When the incident in Paris occurred and they were showing people all over the world seeing the footage of mutants on TV, they showed Quicksilver with his mother and his little sister (Scarlet Witch). According to how mutant powers appear she wasn't yet at the age her powers would manifest, thus not worth giving her more air time. If I remember correctly in X-men comics Magneto was their father but I didn't follow the comic books that much and the story might have changed at some point.

15. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    In the movie, Peter did think it an interesting coincidence that Magneto was a metal guy, just like his mom said his dad had been.

When I was reading the comics, I was a great fan of X-Men. I followed the mutants' convoluted appearances across the various issues and series, and even still have the Hulk issues in which Wolverine made his first appearance.

So, when someone talks about the continuity of Magnus/Magneto/Erik and of the Scarlet witch and Quicksilver, I remember a swelter of contradictory stories dealing with Magnus/Magneto/High Evolutionary/whatever he was at that time, and kinds of contradictory histories of what the hell was happening on Wundagore Mountain. None of it made sense, but it was all on the pages.

Now the High Evolutionary is a different character from Magnus/Magneto, Magneto has a different name, and all kinds of people are unaware of how much retconning has gone on, much of it overlaying previous retconning. I just figure at this point that whenever there's a he said, she said situation with Magneto, he's the dad, and everyone is just confused as to the details.

And yes, I think Magneto banged everyone's moms in both the Marvel/Disney and Fox films.

Like a boss.

And that's all you need to know.

*laugh*

16. caskettheclown

caskettheclown Sexytime!

I loved this movie, will definitely be watching it again...and again

and again.

(I'm an Xmen fanboi)

17. geese_com

geese_com SS.org Regular

Saw this today. Great movie. Definitely liked the Quicksilver scene.