X3 Pro vs PodHD500X?

glpg80

√εvil
Reaction score
If you were a college student needing something to practice, which you would you pick and why?

I am more partial to a vetta II HD which has the X3 preamp simply because I can also use it for practicing with friends and Romeo has managed some great tones live back in symphony x.

I do not want to bring my tube amps to college. For one there is added risk with the tubes and it would be impossible to practice without a reactive load and an interface.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit: Mod's please move to Gear/Equip

Taylord

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just like the sounds on the XT and X3. You could find them used for decent prices. (I got my XT Pro for $150) I'm sure there are quite a few that feel the HD modeling is a lot better though.

Mike

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
College student + Practice = Lower price is better and quality is not as important. Get an X3 Pro.

If however you want better quality, I much prefer the HD series for tones. X3 pro however is much better as far as ease of use and features for recording since you can use POD Farm for PC wet/dry recording, reamping, etc. Line 6 HD stuff does not make use of pod farm and complicates the hell out of reamping.

glpg80

√εvil
Reaction score
Is the X3 Pro the preamp for the Vetta II or Vetta II HD, or both?

I would not be doing any recording, mainly jamming with friends or learning songs. The complexity of the re-amping and other I/O does not really matter as much. I just don't have the ability to practice with friends at the moment because nothing is apartment friendly + jam worthy at the same time.

I could live with a regular vetta II or vetta II HD. It sounds like the HD500X is not quite what I am looking for.

Mike

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The X3 Pro can be used as a preamp with any power amp and speaker combo. I'm not knowledgeable on Vetta stuff so I guess I don't understand your question about it being the preamp for the Vetta's

KristapsCoCoo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They're basicaly the same: X3 - older technology and cheaper, HD - newer tech and more expensive. I believe any of them could archieve similar results, HD has more options and is a little bit trickier to operate though.
But it really seems to me that you would be totally fine with X3!

blaxquid

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Both are fine. If you can get them for a small price diff. get the HD for the "better modeling" and the added foot controls. The amp models compared very favourably to my AxeFx Std. (not quite there for IRs and effets though) - even though it's for practice, you may end up using it to record anyhow.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
HD series if you want better quality.
X3 series if you want more options.

I had a X3 Live for a year or two before updating to the HD500. Far better quality.
However, just for nostalgic reasons, I just want to get a Vetta HD II head. (So if anyone is selling.)

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
^ Lies attributed to lack of experience.

Fair enough. I've had it for about a week now and it's way harder to get satisfactory tones out of than a real amp. I like the unit, but I'm really used to just being able to plug in and get a usable tone within a couple of minutes :shrug:

blaxquid

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Fair enough. I've had it for about a week now and it's way harder to get satisfactory tones out of than a real amp. I like the unit, but I'm really used to just being able to plug in and get a usable tone within a couple of minutes :shrug:

Not sure if the guy above is a native english speaker but I'd say that would be my opinion of the HD too and not "a lie". It can take A LOT of tweaking to get the perfect tone and patches can get quite convoluted - but it really is the case with a lot of modelers. Good thing there are people like meambobbo here that create amazing patches.

TonyGD

The (other) Dude
Reaction score
Not sure if the guy above is a native english speaker but I'd say that would be my opinion of the HD too and not "a lie". It can take A LOT of tweaking to get the perfect tone and patches can get quite convoluted - but it really is the case with a lot of modelers. Good thing there are people like meambobbo here that create amazing patches.

Yeah I went from the X3 desktop to the 500X and tweaking things felt kinda similar but it definitely was more time consuming being that its all new(er) to me. haha "lack of experience" seems like a broad phrase, with the combination of "lies" all sounds like cheap shot to make at someone on a forum if you ask me

TonyGD

The (other) Dude
Reaction score
I would say X3 Pro for price being that it is an older unit but from what I've seen people are asking higher for the X3 pro(used over $500) than for the HD500x(you can get a new one for $499 tops even though retail/list is supposed to be $699). They both sound great and have a lot of features. However for Studio, the X3 Pro does have the dry output for reamping, and it also has more bass amps (if you wanted to record bass). While the X3 Pro rackmount will look look cool on top of your amp (or on your desk in your dorm/apartment/what have you) you'd need the FBV extension, which I'm assuming you might have already if you have the Vetta. On the other hand the Hd500X is already a pedalboard, and you could switch between effects smoother as opposed to just a desktop or pro unit without the FBV. The X3 pro also does have 2 guitar input jacks on the front if you had a friend come over to jam and they can't bring an amp. So definitely consider what the people in this thread are saying, but of course the option is yours.

glpg80

√εvil
Reaction score
To be honest I greatly appreciate those mentioning the complexity of the HD500. One thing I cannot stand is having to tweak through digital menus. If I can't find a decent simplistic sound without making small changes in deep menu systems - I want nothing of it.

Looks like I'll be going with a vetta II or vetta II HD. The X3 Pro would still need a poweramp for jamming with friends (one of them a drummer).

Thanks again for all of the replies :)