X2N vs JB for my RL600

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by oremus91, Nov 8, 2009.

1. oremus91

oremus91 Melodeth-er

I have an LTD RL-600 and I have been wanting new pickups for a while now. The HZs are alright but I want to explore a bit. I've been looking at the X2N and the JB a lot as I like high output passives rather than active pickups. I'm looking for something that can play Arch Enemy type leads but can still have a real heavy low end for riffing. I play in standard C tuning.

Would love some suggestions/sound clips! Thanks in advance for the advice.

:yesway:

2. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I've never played the X2N, but I love JBs. And FWIW, I can't stand HZs! I'd get those out of there asap and put next to anything else in. What's your budget?

3. XeoFLCL

XeoFLCL SS.org Regular

I ordered an X2N for my new 6 (mystery six string!) and D Activator 7 for my SR370 on friday, and expect to get them before tuesday. When I get them I'll let you know how they sound :)

4. Rayne Mann

Rayne Mann SS.org Regular

For what you are going for, I would recommend the X2N. And I agree with the other guy, EMG Hz's = Meh.

5. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson Contributor

HZ's are garbage. Personally I think both the X2N and JB would be horribly trebly in that guitar. If on a budget I would go tonezone if not, the BKP Ceramic Warpig is the master of all alder/maple neckthroughs IMO. Also a Super 3 would work well.

6. oremus91

oremus91 Melodeth-er

Yeah they're pretty lackluster. I'd looking to spend under 80 bucks so I'd say that leaves me fairly open.

You really think there would be too much treble? What about the D-activator? On their website it says it has less treble than the others.

Thanks for the replies so far guys! :wavey:

7. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson Contributor

Definately too much treble from both IMO. Don't just look for high output. I think the TZ is one of the best pickups on the market period and that is vs the various BKP's I own and have tried. It owns the JB hands down. Super 3 and Super Distortion are good as well.

8. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

The JB is like the definitive alder pickup but an alternative 8 from seymour duncan would be pretty cool in that axe as well. SD tone chart