X patterns g12t75 and swamp thang

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by wcmesa, May 26, 2008.

1. wcmesa

wcmesa Member

Would there be any problems with x ing swamp thangs and g12t75s? Ive got a marshall 1960a and b cab. The top cab has v30 but they are old and need replaceing. The bottom cab has g12t75s that still have a lot of life left. i was thinking of putting 2 75s and 2 swamp thangs in each cab.

2. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

i love my swamp thangs, probably a great combo, but the wattage wont match up

3. LordOVchaoS

LordOVchaoS NUDE MAN! Forum MVP

Wattage makes no difference at all. I used to have Swamp Thangs and V30's in an X pattern with no problems. I also did Swamp Thangs with P50-e's and V30's with P50-E's. None of these have matching wattage and it works fine.

One of the most popular speaker combos is G12-t75's and V30's which are different wattages.

The wattage rating on speakers is simply how much power they can handle without blowing.

Impedance is the key. Make sure they're all the same impedance and you hook them up properly to end up with the ohm load you're looking for.

4. Brewtal_Damage

Brewtal_Damage Heavy Noise

I have these speakers in my cab, and they blend pretty well, they're not rated at the same wattage peak, but yes, as long as the impendance is matched there should be no problem.

5. wcmesa

wcmesa Member

I opened up the cabs the top cab and bottom both have g12t75s in them i guess the top cab is just gone. The g12t75s in the top cab have 16ohms printed on the basket but the bottom cab doesnt. Im guessing that the bottom cab g12t75s are the same and i would need 16 ohm swamp thangs to put back to work with the other speakers. The reason i ask is the celestion site says they are 8 and 16 ohm comp. And on theback plate of the cab there is a 4 and 16 ohm mono input an two 8 ohm stereo inputs. I usually run both cabs in stereo.

6. Zer0

Zer0 That Guy

Pesky ohms! You do indeed need 16ohm speakers, the backplate is simply telling you how the speakers can be rewired with a flick of a switch, for instance the 4ohm setting puts all the speakers wired in parallel there by reducing the resistance, but I digress. I have used the Swamp Thang/Man O War combination for quite sometime, the MOW being Eminence's clone of the 75, and it works great. I would imagine the 75s would sound good as well.