Wrote an "August Burns Red" style song

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by duffbeer33, Feb 9, 2020.

1. duffbeer33

duffbeer33 Contributor

I thought it would be fun to attempt to write a song in ABR-style since they have such a unique sound compared to other metalcore bands. Melodic guitar runs, tempo changes, and breakdown sections. Did I reasonably capture their general sound? Appreciate any and all feedback on the song structure, and please excuse the amateur-level mixing and playing!

https://soundcloud.com/duffmusic/harbinger

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  2. John

John New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh

You had some interesting riffs taking place, some of the abrupt changes were in line with stuff they've done in the past. Regarding song structure, the only riff that seemed too out of place was around the 0:55 mark. From my perspective it just seemed like one that was crammed in and it didn't lend it self as well to what preceded it and what followed.

The mixing and playing were decent, but there's still room to polish it up. Regarding the mix, the clean tone didn't mesh with the rest of what you had going on, in my opinion. The single note/harmonized lines could've been tracked a bit tighter, but all in all it was alright.

PS- I see you also use PRS guitars. As someone else who's been using their guitars and amp heads, naturally I would approve of those choices.

3. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

enjoyed it.

the next song, 'monster' is pretty good too

4. duffbeer33

duffbeer33 Contributor

Thanks guys. @johnucol I appreciate the thoughtful feedback, it really helps. Yep I'm a big PRS user. This track was with a PRS SC245 and Helix Native.

5. duffbeer33

duffbeer33 Contributor

Thanks guys. @johnucol I appreciate the thoughtful feedback! Yep I'm a big PRS user. This one was with a PRS SC245 and Helix Native.

6. kamello

kamello DESU METARU!

haven't listened to too much ABR, but I enjoyed the riffs :D

some general tips I can give you could be
    -. you need to stop being so guitar centered about the mix, around 70% of the bulk of the mix comes from the arragement, drums, bass and vocals (in case the song has them) guitars are just a little detail between everything
    -. work on your levels! again, guitars are above everything else
    -. work with layers, at least the album I've heard the most of this guys (Rescue & Restore) has lots of different guitar layers filling up the sound spectrum, Misery Signals and Architects could be a good reference in the Metalcore realm for this stuff as their stuff heavily relies on layers

regarding the riffs, I felt they flowed well aside from the intro (the very first riff feels a bit out of place for me) but that's more a matter of opinion as John exposed a different view towards this

still tho, nice work! keep on it as you have good ideas to work with and improve

duffbeer33 likes this.
  7. duffbeer33

duffbeer33 Contributor