Writing Music Is Hard

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by cult-leader-of-djent, Oct 19, 2013.

1. cult-leader-of-djent

cult-leader-of-djent SS.org Regular

Every time I try to compose a song, I get stopped dead in my tracks by one thing or another.

My main problem is that I can't piece together riffs.

Is there a way I could fix my problem?

2. DavidLopezJr

DavidLopezJr SS.org Regular

Analyze and breakdown songs that have good songwriting. Well developed song structure and usage of motifs is stuff I personally enjoy.

Also just write as much as you can, you will get better if you take the time to put the effort.

Solodini likes this.
  3. Lifestalker

Lifestalker SS.org Regular

I know them feels man.

I haven't had the chance to, but maybe adding a looper (possibly with drum beats/metronome) will help out a lot!

I'm in a transitional phase right now. I had been doing straight up brutal death for the past 8-9 years. I've been looking to tame my music down and do something along the lines of Radiohead, Ours, Muse, Tool, etc, etc. I just don't want to have any limits on what I write. Anything goes...

Also, I'm looking into purchasing a midi controller to help me compose ideas. Maybe this could be a consideration for you as well. I'm really excited because I've never had one and I'll finally be able to teach myself how to play piano (among many other things).

4. cult-leader-of-djent

cult-leader-of-djent SS.org Regular

I could see a looper working man those things are fun.

A drummer or another guitarist would help a lot as well, two heads are always better than one. :agreed:

5. CollinD

CollinD Member

If you don't already, I would highly suggest learning how to use guitar pro to write and keep track of your ideas. It helps!
    --
    Also, once I began to master plugging my guitar riffs into guitar pro, I started fiddling with adding different drum beats to my riffs. Drums (and other instruments obviously), in many cases, can make a not so awesome riff sound pretty damn awesome.
    --
    Always remember that you don't have to write a guitar riff every time that encompasses the feel of every instrument in a band. Remember that what might sound simple as one track may sound a lot more full and sweet when layered and with drums and bass added. Protest the Hero writes some of the sweetest guitar leads, but they are all written over pretty simple power chord rhythms that aren't anything special. What's special is how both guitars work together and create that appealing voice that is appealing to the listener.
    --
    Look at what some of your favorite bands do when they transition between riffs. I had the same problem you are having, and I actually began to pay more attention to the transitions from one riff to another.

Hope this helped dude!

6. The Reverend

The Reverend GHETTO KING OF SWAG

Loopers and MIDI controllers saved my life. I was sort of in Moxa's position, having spent most of my time as a guitarist only playing and writing a certain kind of music. Sometimes having a cool riff repeating and playing around with other mutations or embellishments on it creates a lot of vibrant ideas.

MIDI controllers along with some sort of synth program (I use Reason) can also jog your creative mind into making something awesome. I use chords and progressions on a piano that I don't reach to instinctively on guitar, so it's forced some variety into me.