Wow! Kittie was pretty damn heavy!

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by sevenfoxes, Oct 19, 2020.

1. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

That's not how it works. Which is how we know that you dont know how it works.

You can dislike a band, but that doesnt make them shitty. People forget that.

Chokey Chicken likes this.
  2. Randy

Randy Full on Friendship!™ Super Moderator

Aaand we're back.

Veldar and DrakkarTyrannis like this.
  3. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

THANK YOU, DADDY. <3

Anyways I was gonna post it here but the thread got closed. I did a cover of "Spit" because it's one of my favorite Kittie songs.

Enjoy

Randy, HeHasTheJazzHands and p0ke like this.
  4. fps

fps Kit

No, but rapidly declining record sales having got the golden ticket of a deal like theirs usually indicates something.

5. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

How do you figure? You do know that everyone's album sales have dropped. Streaming, piracy etc has taken a huge toll and the music industry isn't what it used to be at all.

However they released a documentary that was fan funded as well as a sold out concert attended by people literally all over the world after 20 years of being a band. Here we are even talking about them with a surprising amount of people giving them positive comments. I think that says a lot about their place in metal history.

6. fps

fps Kit

No, their second and third records came out in 2001 and 2004, they were there before the collapse, and established, and that period is where they didn’t live up to it and were dropped.

I understand it’s all a bit more sensitive because of the appalling reaction they received from a lot of the metal community, and because we want more women in metal, but they really couldn’t play their instruments very well, and while I enjoyed the doc the music doesn’t quite stand up. I reckon they should have kept getting uglier and angrier in the music personally. Of course I wish them well, but just listening to the music is a bit of an ordeal.

7. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

Are you saying they were dropped from their label? Where'd you get than info. Genuinely curious.

About playing their instruments well....how do you figure?

8. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Wondering the same. I mean, their music isn't technical or anything, but as far as I can tell, they can definitely play their songs. Which is what counts, right?

I'm not trying to deny that they were a pretty niche thing, but still - IMO the reason they went under is simply the fact that nu metal went out of fashion.

aesthyrian and DrakkarTyrannis like this.
  9. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

According to everything I've read the label tried to fuck them out of money. It's well documented they sued the label and got out from under them, then started handling things themselves..which lots of bands are doing these days because it just makes sense.

10. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

Their music from their first album is squarely in nu-metal and it's the only material I sort of know since a friend of mine had the album back in the day, I think he might have had Oracle too but I can't say for sure. While I wasn't particularly into it at the time I had no idea they were considered a gimmick act then, it never would have crossed my mind. Sampling tracks from subsequent albums tonight was interesting since they pretty obviously developed beyond that, and between the music seeming solid and considering they managed to hit the billboard 200 on nearly every album they put out over a 10-year span I can't imagine the "gimmick act" accusation was ever really that valid, but that's just me.

Louis Cypher and p0ke like this.
  11. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

I don't think Kittie is a gimmick act. That said, every single Kiss album made the charts - so gimmicks and charts do kinda go hand in hand.

Necris and brector like this.