Wow! Kittie was pretty damn heavy!

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by sevenfoxes, Oct 19, 2020.

1. sevenfoxes

sevenfoxes SS.org Regular

For the longest time I just thought Kittie was just another nu-metal band, and didn't pay that much attention to them (i was too focused on other bands at that time), but going back and listening to tracks like "Spit", kinda makes me realize they were pretty damn heavy for their day, especially when compared to other nu-metal acts, like Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, etc.

The vocals are just raw as fu$! in this track, and there's some nice syncopated riffs thrown in for good measure. I dig!

mlp187, Masoo2, Fis:Destroyer and 7 others like this.
  2. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

I bought the album shortly after it came out. I must admit, I liked quite a few tracks on there. Spit being one of them.

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

They were legit pretty damn good. They kept going on after that, too. Ditched the metalcore tinges and started to be more influenced by the upcoming NWOAHM thrash, groove, death metal, and metalcore bands. I think they also admitted around the time of the 2nd album their music tastes changed and they were getting more into death metal.

4. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

Kittie is definitely a secret hardcore band. a good chunk of their later stuff sounds like Zao to me

Manurack and Veldar like this.
  5. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

Sooo...Kittie is what got me into guitars and metal. Fallon Bowman was my favorite person ever and Morgan is the reason I found my first love..the Gibson Gothic Flying V.

Morgan's voice has come a LONG way. She's now in a symphonic death metal band. I'm sure after they heard this they couldn't wait to get her.

budda and Nlelith like this.
  6. shadowlife

shadowlife Contributor

There's a documentary about them on Amazon Prime that is worth watching. Talk about having an unstable lineup...

I never owned any of their albums, but I do like some of the music, especially the later albums.

[​IMG]

Louis Cypher likes this.
  7. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

i really like them. they did a killer cover of pink floyd's run like hell.

8. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I didn’t know Kamala Harris was in Kittie! 3rd from the left...

ElRay, Randy and failsafe like this.
  9. sevenfoxes

I just remembered, my cousin's band toured with Kittie back in the day. If only i was more into them back then I probably would have gone to a show and chilled with them backstage. :lol:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  10. sevenfoxes

Man! She's got a brutal scream!

11. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

Added that to my watchlist to watch, cheers

I really liked Spit when it came out and then picked up a copy of In The Black just out the blue years later and really liked it. They are def an underrated band, especially for moving past the Nu Metal phase and having a 20+ yr career. They started out touring Spit as 16/17 yr olds if I remember right....

Manurack likes this.
  12. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Just a correction, I meant to say "ditch the nu-metal tinges". Their later work is definitely more thrash metal, death metal, and metalcore inspired.

13. Triple-J

Triple-J the Experimetalist

the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
    Most people point toward the release of Chimaira's 'Impossibility of Reason' and Slipknot's 'Iowa' as moments that pinpoint the transition from nu-metal towards metalcore/NWOAHM but I believe Kittie deserve some of that credit too because 'Oracle' comes out swinging hard and presaged the direction metal would later go in.
    In retrospect what surprises me about 'Oracle' now is it's their 2nd album so they could have easily churned out a radio friendly cashgrab album with a Fred Durst cameo and an ironic cover of some random song from the 80's just like every other band of that era but they did their own thing which deserves respect.

Veldar, nikt and Louis Cypher like this.
  14. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

I loved them so much back in the day. I always thought of them as a female, mini-A7X with the clean vox over screaming. Into the Darkness was my jam.

15. Chris Bowsman

Chris Bowsman Nu-Metal Apologist Contributor

Here's a good one.

Droptune666 likes this.
  16. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

Man, I got a lot of catching up to do! I bought their first CD when it came out, loved it, raved to all my metal friends about it, then forgot they existed. Time to make up for my negligence.

17. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I've never been really into nu metal but I always thought Kittie were pretty good. I used to listen to the first two albums a bit when I was younger. I like the vocals, they're pretty wild!

18. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

The white swan is Mercedes Landers' newer band. I picked up their EP a couple of years ago and liked it a lot. It's more doomy/stoner.

looks like they just put out a new single. Seems more rock-ish on this one.

DrakkarTyrannis likes this.
  19. fps

fps Kit

I like that they existed, though I remember the abuse they got and it was one of the times the word "toxic" truly applies. The music didn't do it for me, though the production may be part of that. I feel the same about Coal Chamber, for instance, and I like my bouncy nu-metal stuff.

20. ExplorerMike

ExplorerMike 60% of the time...it works every time.

I’ve been listening to Kittie since they first came out and always liked them. Their albums and styles have changed directions a few times but someone mentioned above their tastes changed as they grew up as well. Makes sense. If you’ve never heard their album “Funeral For Yesterday” that ones pretty damn awesome. Didn’t keep up with the last few albums as they came out but grabbed them in the last year or so and was pleasantly surprised with how heavy they went on those. Definitely an under rated band for sure.

bjgrifter likes this.