Would you sell this guitar?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by 70Seven, May 11, 2017.

1. 70Seven

70Seven Ibanez Foerever!!!

Fellow guitarist. I need your opinions if you would sell this guitar if you were in my place.. The issue is not the guitar itself but the story of how we meet..

Basically I've been an Ibanez fanboy ever since I started playing, a long time ago. But right now Ibanez aren't the type of instrument I should be playing, not my style anymore, I'm not trying to be a shredder these days. I've been wanting to buy either a Gibson SG or a ESP E-II Eclipse, leaning toward the ESP.

Now the issue, I would need to sell one of my guitars to come up with the funds. I have two guitars, a 1991 Ibanez RG 550 that I'd never sell!! And a 2006 Ibanez RG Presting 2550 upgraded with Dimazrio PAF pickups.

Now my thoughts are sell the prestige to get close to 1000$ for it, come up with the rest and get the ESP. On paper it makes sense, but I'll explain how I purchased this guitar and tell me, could you sell this guitar?

In 2005 I started playing guitar again after taking a good 3-4 year break, life was to busy at the time, re learned alot and decided to get a "real" Japanese guitar. I had the Ibanez 2006 catalog home and must have spent months analyzing each guitar, making pros and cons list until I finally decided I wanted the RG Prestige 2550. I wasn't really an online shopper at the time so I was relying on my local guitar store (Long Mcquade in Ottawa). I walk into the store and of course they only have a few Ibanez, none are Prestige. I ask one of the worker if they could order this RG prestige 2550 for me, the guy was hesitant in saying yes. He explained to me that its complicated to order Ibanez guitars for them, being made in Japan and the relationship they have with the guitar makers it could take up to 6 months for the guitar to arrive and there's a good chance they would never receive it and the order gets cancelled. So I left the store and kinda gave up on getting that guitar. I wasn't sure what I'd do at the time. The next week my girlfriend(now wife) asks me to go for a drive and get some coffee, I say "can we stop at Long Mcquade, I need string", I made a joke that if they had my guitar there I'd buy it right away. I walk in and right in the Ibanez section is the RG Prestige 2550 I wanted!! I was shocked, I pick it up and start playing it. I ask one of the guy who works there "I came here last week, when did this guitar come in?" he looked in the computer and said he had no idea when it came it. weird.. I play it a few minutes and bought it right away.

Loved the guitar ever since and I still do, but to make up the funds for an ESP eclipse I'd have to sell a guitar and that one would be the only one out of the two I'd be willing to sell, but I can never bring myself to actually put it up for sale just because of "how we meet".. I think I was "suppose" to have this guitar!!

What do you think? Would you sell it for an ESP, or keep it?

And sorry for the long post..

Thanks, for reading.

2. domsch1988

domsch1988 SS.org Regular

I'd never sell this guitar. The fact it's an RG doesn't mean its shred only... Even if you can buy an E-II for the money, you can't buy storys and history.
    I made similar mistakes twice. I basically never sell guitars anymore. If i want something new, i save up for it. Selling one of my babys to buy another one just feels wrong to me :shrug:
    But since i "only" own 6 guitars, i don't exactly need to make space for a new one. Every time i did sell a guitar i ended up missing it later.

3. 70Seven

yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. I know RG aren't just for shred, but a fixed bridge and 22 frets would probably suit me better now. I only play rhythm but I still manage it well on my RG's.

4. exo

exo SS.org Regular

Don't sell. That guitar has meaning to you, you're familiar and comfortable playing it, and those PAF's oughtta be versatile enough to handle a LOT of styles. They're called PAFs because they're modeled on the old school Gibson "patent applied for" humbuckers. You should be able to get a LOT more out of your Prestige than just "shred".....

5. 70Seven

True! It does sound and play great for what I do with it, no issues there. Tone and feel is perfect. Its just GAS for an ESP that's getting to me, I'd want to try something new (Eclipse)..

6. HeavyMetal4Ever

HeavyMetal4Ever SS.org Regular

I say keep the Ibanez. With PAFs it should be an extremely versatile instrument. If you want more versatility perhaps look at changing the middle single coil if you haven't already.

7. domsch1988

I get that :lol: I'm GASing for a Holcomb signature. And A Strandberg. And A Regius :wallbash:
    I just made the decision 2 months ago, that i'll not be spending money on anything apart from guitars. I easily get distracted by smartphones, monitors, gadgets and other "stuff". I summed up all the "needed" expenses of a month and everything that i don't 100% have to spend, i put in a drawer as guitar funds. I'm now saving 500€ a month for all those guitars. It might take me years to acquire some of them, but luckily the guitar world moves really slowly (as opposed to tech :nuts:). So buying something now or in a year or two is not relevant. Buying a now new smartphone in 2 years is dumb :lol:

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire SpOoPy SeAsOn

just keep it dude. If the guitar means anything to you, you'll eventually regret selling it.

9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Sounds to me like you want to keep it. There's no such thing as a particular guitar you "should" play- you could have the pointiest flat black guitar with EMGs in it and use it for a country band, or you could have an old relic'd tele and use it for shreddy nonsense.

I think the fact that you posted the question in the first place means that you don't want to sell it- which I think will translate into regret once it's gone. IMO keep it and find another way to satisfy the gas.

10. 70Seven

Yup, agreed! I don't really want to sell it, but I think I'd like to be able to so I could get a new guitar. But would probably regret it.

I dont think I'll ever sell it..

11. 70Seven

Its interesting, not one user replied "sell it, its just a guitar.." which is what I tell myself sometimes, but I go back to "I can't, I just can't" ...

12. domsch1988

I don't know about you, but every guitar where i would think "it's just a guitar", i shouldn't have bought in the first place. It's an Instrument. It's purpose is to express your creativity. If it doesn't get you excited and you aren't attached to it, it's failed it's main job imho :ugh:

13. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

I would sell it. But I'm not sentimental. I'd never sell my customs, but it's because they're perfect.

14. DarthV

DarthV SS.org Regular

Just keep saving for the Eclipse. If you're in Moncton, you already know how dismal the market for used instruments are in this province :p I see a under 6 month old RG prestige going for under half it's new price. You probably don't want to know how much you'd get for a 10+ year old guitar.

15. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems

Second hand esp don't hold their value too well, I'd save for a second hand one personally :yesway:

16. odibrom

odibrom .

Invest in a PROFESSIONAL SET UP for your guitar. GAS END, almost granted... almost...

Last year I bought a backup guitar that is a duplicate of my main guitar, the exact same model, woods, hardware, except for pickups. Since then, I've improved substantially my setups and I've completely lost the will to buy more guitars. Since then, 90% of my guitar playing has been spent on these 2 twin guitars and I have 5 more guitars that I also won't sell, EVER.

This to say that, if the ESP ins't that different from the Ibanez (more strings?, Longer scale length?, Fanned Frets?), It is of no need. Invest your time into playing, not guitar shopping. Your wallet will appreciate and so will your ears, hart and soul.

You could also invest in some weird schematic to take advantage of your pickups and for additional sounds...

17. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Sell it if you want something different. It's just a physical object.

None of my guitars are safe :evil:

18. GuitaristOfHell

GuitaristOfHell The Optimist Prime.

Keep it, another one (same model ectt) may not sound or feel the same as yours.

19. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I gotta say this just because the guy is considering an SG

I went through a yamaha superstrat, korean warlock, schecter damien, Japanese jackson dinky, Ibby RG2228, ltd Horizon, before I finally got an [Edwards] SG. I've since bought/sold/traded ltd vipers, Washburn star shape, BC Rich semi-hollow, Agile baritone, Epi LPC, Ibby RG, Jackson SLSMG, and more--all trying to find something I like as much as my SG. There's just nothing.

ANYHOW the point I want to make is that I absolutely only ever play my Edwards SG.
    If you've never owned an SG, you might find that it actually does replace all your guitars. Recently I've made the decision to sell all my guitars except one (my Richmond Empire) that I will keep as a backup in case something happens to the SG. But in the event that something does happen to my Eddy, I will just immediately replace it with another SG

SG! SG! SG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. jl-austin

jl-austin SS.org Regular

I wanted to stop there, but I read the whole post.

Advice for you, don't let others tell you who you are!

If you love that guitar, don't sell it to try to be "in a certain style"! The thing is, you will probably regret it down the road.

If you want to have a "certain style" buy a cheap LTD or Epiphone SG, or what ever, and keep your pride and joys! Buy a PRS SE (actually pretty good cheap guitars btw) and then when you get tired of this style, you will still have the guitars you love!