Would you do this trade?

bzhang9

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Near mint rg2228a for a players condition uv7bk Green Dot with many dings but newish bridge and d-activators?

xzacx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would, but I don’t play 8s and I love D-Activators. But even from a value perspective I don’t think it’s bad. 2228s seem like they often go for under $1k and 8s in general are losing demand. On the other hand people always want UVs. I would be sure the frets are in good shape though before deciding though. No big deal if they just need a crowning, but I wouldn’t do it if I was going to have to put $3-400 into a refret.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I can't speak to monetary value, but if it was any 8 string vs. what is probably a decent 7, I'd want the 7. I think it comes down to whether or not you want a 7 or an 8.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd do it.

Heck, I've actually made that deal some years back, but the UV was in better shape from the sounds of it.

No regrets.

_MonSTeR_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Assuming you currently own the 8string and would be receiving the UV...

I’d have to very, very certain on the condition of that UV. One man’s ‘player’ condition is another man’s ‘roadkill’. Why was the bridge changed? Are the trem posts still good or was the bridge replaced to try to combat the posts wearing away the basswood after 25 or 30 years? Most importantly... Are the new pickups green? ;)

I love original UVs, but I like then in good condition, not just visually, but more importantly, mechanically...

bzhang9

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah I have the 8, tricky cuz it's not a local trade but seems like defects are just cosmetic, and does have original pickups too. On one hand I've wanted to try an old UV but the 2228a is also kind of hard to find now and worth more than a regular 2228. If you guys think value is similar I'd just go for the trade. I have other 7s and 8s so that part doesn't really matter.

Attachments

• ythvqtt7luwpykszgfgz.jpg
    ythvqtt7luwpykszgfgz.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 93
  • d7aelkd2y2d182vnhfgm.jpg
    d7aelkd2y2d182vnhfgm.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 92
  • b5eke7c51hdq7vrvv7zp.jpg
    b5eke7c51hdq7vrvv7zp.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 85
  • qd9ox3cfavgilhn19o2v.jpg
    qd9ox3cfavgilhn19o2v.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 87
  • ofak4pcns5pumdk0dqss.jpg
    ofak4pcns5pumdk0dqss.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

77zark77

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Do it if neck is flawless. Your fingers thank me later

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, those chips are pretty bad. Any playing regularly and it's just going to get worse. Ask me how I know. :lol:

That said, if you wind up loving it, a new coat of black isn't too expensive and won't hurt the value come next trade/sale.

Get more pictures, especially of the condition of the frets and board, and have them pull the bridge to see how that's looking.

Value wise they're both in the same ballpark, condition of the UV included, but it's hard to let go something in good shape for that. Maybe try to get them to throw in some cash/pay all shipping, etc.

bzhang9

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
haha this is a hard decision might have to sleep on it, thanks for the advice

BusinessMan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would. Mostly because 2228’s seem to be on the used Market pretty often from the searches I do every once in awhile.
Plus, if you don’t like the UV, you could always trade/sell it for something you don’t want because, as said already, UV’s are always in demand.

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah I have the 8, tricky cuz it's not a local trade but seems like defects are just cosmetic, and does have original pickups too. On one hand I've wanted to try an old UV but the 2228a is also kind of hard to find now and worth more than a regular 2228. If you guys think value is similar I'd just go for the trade. I have other 7s and 8s so that part doesn't really matter.

The other party is either too lazy or too honest

2 minutes with a microfibre cloth and then a black sharpie, and you'd all be calling it "near-mint"

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
The chips don't look to be in any annoying spots that would scatch you while playing or anything
- Is it just me or does that trem route seem awfully close/almost touching near the high string saddles? I wonder if it touches the route at all or even while pulling or diving. I'm thinking possible issue with trem studs if they were rerouted for and not done proper or something. Hard to tell but the space between the body and trem looks to be angled like the high strings trem stud was redrilled to close maybe. Just a thought.
- I'd probably sell the 8 string and get a guitar that has a return policy in case something is wrong with it in this case.

ThomasUV777

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wouldn't even hesitate. I might hesitate, but it would all be a sham to make sure the other party doesn't realize that he's about to commit the worst mistake of his life.

sirbuh

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Get some more pics on the divot of the chips.
I would take the uv, but not everyone is called.

jayeshrc

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love the UV, so im biased. do you have a preference for number of strings or colour? maybe it is just down to that