Would you be interested in a Halo Reaper 7 Review?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by exarchangel, Mar 31, 2016.

1. exarchangel

exarchangel Guitarist

I've had a Halo Reaper 7 for about 2.5 years now and have been able to compare it to a number of other 7 string guitars, as well as see how the components and guitar age.

Rather than a run-of-the-mill first impressions review, this would be an in-depth one, with the pros and cons of the guitar.

The goal would to be to paint an honest picture of the instrument and evaluate the quality and value.

Let me know what you think? If nobody cares I wont bother putting alot of time into it, but if people are curious as to how one of these things ages (given their past reputation), I'd be happy to make a video and written review.

2. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

3. tylerpond05

tylerpond05 Mormon Metalhead

count me in!!!

4. Warg Master

Warg Master Weeping strings...

Do. IT.

Please.

5. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Well the problem with that is that even if you do have a positive experience which I'd be surprised about. Your experience doesn't guarantee the next person will have a positive one or one nearly as good. Halo has been historically bad and really cut corners in almost every aspect of the instrument and while improvement is great, they're still charging 2-3k for MiC "custom" instruments that many times need attention from a tech the second you get it. And that's not worth losing money and time knowing you can put your money to better use.

6. Daemoniac

Daemoniac Rivethead Magnate. Contributor

This. I remember seeing SO many posts not long after joining (which feels like a really goddamn long time ago now... :ugh: ) with Halo instruments that were every kind of awful.

A few years later they changed hands and gave the "we've changed and are looking forwards" speech and proceeded to put out instruments that were better, but only technically.

I feel kind of bad saying it - and don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled it worked out for you and I hope the instrument is AWESOME for you - but old habits die hard.

7. 7JxN7

7JxN7 SS.org Regular

Honestly, I don't think people care about Halo no matter what you do. A good friend of mine has made 2 review videos on 2 different halo guitars he has. The second one was done nearly 2 years after the first and a few months after him owning it. Both guitars play great and he has had pretty much no issues with either of them. And price wise, they stack up against any other schecter or Ibanez you would pick up in the price range ($AUS 1000-1500). But no matter how thorough or detailed he is, while showing evidence of his experience, no one cares (I have helped him out on both vids to give him feedback and constructive criticism) . Halo has made it's bed it seems, and the internet isn't going to forget or forgive. They could start building the greatest guitars ever made and half the cost of any boutique/master luthier and I doubt anyone would gain anymore interest :lol:

If you want to do a solid, truthful and factual review, go ahead and do it more with the idea of trying to deliver a quality overall product for yourself. But don't expect it to change anyone's opinions on the brand. The echo chamber of social media and people solely living vicariously through it has more effect than someone voicing their real life experience it seems.

(This is purely my experience and feedback on the matter. And I am well aware of how jaded and low my expectations of the world can be lol)

But in the name of doing something you want to do, GO FOR IT OP!

8. Daemoniac

Daemoniac Rivethead Magnate. Contributor

^ :agreed: This pretty much sums it up.

9. thinkpad20

thinkpad20 plays guitar??

I think it's always good to have more information out there. I haven't been following the Halo stories (sounds like there are many), but if there's an abundance of negative information out there which doesn't match up against what you've experienced (or, even if it does), I think having more info out there is always good.

10. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Do the review. There are plenty of people on here that would be interested, myself included.

11. IdolWorkshop

IdolWorkshop SS.org Regular

And then... he doesn't.

I registered at this forum just so I could search posts involving Halo guitars and filter for ones less than a year old. This is primarily because most of what comes up in a google site search is 8-10 years old, and are from "back in the day" when Halo guitars couldn't have been worse. I wanted to see if there were any more recent experiences by which to judge, since I'm considering an Octavia 9 string.

Obviously, the old reputation is quite troubling but I'm not even sure how much of it is real and how much is simply echo chamber. Many threads amount to "google the reviews to see how bad it is" and googling only brings up threads that say "google to see how bad it is." And many comments from the same few people stopping by new Halo threads to drop one-liners about how Halo is crap. Since the company itself long ago acknowledged the QC problems, the fact that they were crappy is beyond dispute.

Question is, are they crappy now?

I've seen the same handful of negative experiences repeated in many places, across multiple forums, spanning multiple years. If a manufacturer has shipped hundreds or (many) thousands of guitars, it would seem there ought to be more horror stories than that if the quality is really so abysmal, as opposed to literally dozens of toss-off unsupported opinions referring to the same few horror stories. By people who've probably never touched a Halo in their life.

Thoughts?

12. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

While I haven't played one of the newer ones, the one thing that has remained VERY constant with Halo is that the only recent reviews are ALWAYS posted from brand new accounts and tend to be glowingly positive which typically sets off the red flag/shill alert for anyone who has half a brain. Halo tried doing the same nonsense back in the day, and despite ownership and alleged factory/builder/QC changes, that has always been how their "reviews" make it onto sites like this. Typically those posters also either mysteriously vanish and never post again, or they just drop into random threads to post nonsense comments to get their post count up and then you never hear from them again... :rolleyes:

The reason you don't find many posts about them now is that typically the shill nonsense is easy to spot, and folks who have been around long enough to have seen it happen over and over will call BS and remind the forum of what has happened historically when these new reviews pop up that seem to include the same verbiage about how "the quality is amazing and there were no flaws, everything was perfect!!!" Yes, I'm entirely sure that the cheap factory that Halo uses in China is cranking out absolutely flawless instruments... :rolleyes:

I played an older used Halo at GC, so that's my only experience with them but the guitar was a piece of garbage. I haven't seen anything from their newer builds that would make me think differently, and typically the newer reviews don't include any HD macro shots of the guitar so you could look for any flaws that might be present yourself. When folks have asked about this in the past, said brand new/shill accounts tend to either vanish or ignore those posts entirely, which seems like Halo had attempted to once again have someone put together a phony shill post to state that things have changed and everything is perfect now. There has been enough nonsense from them in the past that I'd say if you want a 9-string, so some searching on whatever else might be out there and look into another option.

While your question may be valid in wanting to see if anyone had recent experience with them, I'd steer clear of Halo regardless. There have been too many junk guitars put out in the past and they've done enough self-inflicted damage to the brand name itself with their attempts at posting glowingly positive reviews via shill accounts over the years for me personally to want to give them any kind of support or business. :2c: If you don't care that there's a high chance that you'll receive a guitar that should have been throw straight into a wood chipper, go for it, but I feel it's highly unlikely that you'll see an honest review of one of their newer guitars. :shrug: Hell, look at the OP of THIS thread... his last post was talking about putting together the review and as soon as people brought up the past issues, he vanished. The day he posted this thread was the last time he even came to the forum... exactly the type of behavior we've seen from the shill accounts Halo has brought to the forum over the years. :wavey: People are wary/cautious of Halo for a reason! :lol:

13. IdolWorkshop

HighGain510, thank you for that excellent breakdown! In searching through the forums, I have seen the hit and run phenomena you're talking about. I wonder how much effort goes into a strategy like that to cover up inadequacies, and if the same effort were put into making a decent product how well it would turn out.

That's a shame. I find the Octavia designs to be quite visually appealing. On paper, it looks good. I've seen others here say that, too, but obviously if the implementation is bad, it doesn't matter.

Last night I talked to a friend who drives by Halo's office in Cupertino going to and from work. He's going to swing by there and play a few models and tell me what he thinks. Of course, I don't have a lot of confidence that the guitars they have in their showroom are representative of typical stock.

Maybe I'll get a Xen after all.

14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

15. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

At the end of the day the same guy that inspected and photographed the 8 I got from them and told me it was awesome before shipping it is the same guy in charge of the company.

The guitar had a boxwood neck (it was supposed to be maple) and the bridge was clearly crooked. The guitar was also supposed to have an ebony board and came with what was clearly rosewood. You could easily make indentations in the neck with your fingernail and it eventually warped and made the guitar completely unplayable. The only good thing about the experience was that they eventually refunded my money once the rebuild was months overdue and I was completely fed up.

16. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

I keep seeing people say "they're on their way to being an amazing company after their new management!"

Haven't they had new management for like... 5 years now? :shrug:

17. IdolWorkshop

Yes, that occurred to me as well. A lot of talk but how long does a transition take?

BTW, I'm beginning to come to my senses a bit. Just initiated an inquiry with Xen for a DC8. While I'm still curious about the Octavia, I want to feel good about a major purchase, not apprehensive.

Thanks to all for the input.

18. exo

exo SS.org Regular

19. IdolWorkshop

Thanks for posting that. Also found another positive review, but what I don't find is anything on 8+ strings from their lineup. One of the dings from the past was neck warpage. Obviously a wider neck with a couple of extra fat strings on one side is going to be more susceptible.