Would this setup work? (BIAS, monitors, audio interface...)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Simic, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Simic

Simic SS.org Regular

Hey!
    I'm thinking of going the BIAS route instead of buying a practice amp (like the yamaha THR) for my study apartment. I'm totally new to this though and I'm looking for your suggestions on what to get.

From what I understand this is what I need to get started using BIAS:
    1) BIAS plugin
    2) DAW (such as reaper)
    3) Monitors
    4) Audio interface
    5) Guitar cables and a guitar :shred:

Is that it? If so, I'd appreciate some suggestions on which gear to get for each number above :)

1) I'm gonna use this for practice and maybe some recording. Do I get the bias fx or bias amp? Pro or standard version?
    2) I've heard Reaper is simple to use and free, is that the way to go?
    3) As far as monitors go, I'm willing to spend up to 400€ for a pair. I was looking at m-audio bx8d2 and yamaha hs7's (m-audio ones are 120€ cheaper, yamaha have better reviews...)
    4) For audio interface the focusrite scarlet looks like the way to go. Which version do I get? 2i4? I need to plug both speakers and the guitar into this interface right?
    5) Do I need any special cables? Instrument cables should be fine right?

Any help would be much appreciated!

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I don't have much as far as specific recommendations, but yes, that will work. You want an interface that does at least the one input, and two outputs. An older version of one of those scarlet interfaces used to have a problem where the input would clip if you used high-output pickups, but I think the newer versions have fixed that problem. Note that Reaper is not technically free, it's just a trial that never expires, so people use it as if it's free. It's great software though, so it's worth paying for it just to throw money at the devs and keep it going if you end up using it a lot. Your normal cables will work just fine.

3. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

IT's just like Ted said, you should be ready to go with that.

I have the Steinberg UR22 MKII and it works absolutely fine. Just before I got it though, I bought the most recent version of the Scarlett 2i2 and I couldn't get it to work. Before you buy it, check their website because there are certain versions of Windows (if that's what you're using) that it won't work with. I have Windows 7 64 bit but I was missing a certain update and the Scarlett wouldn't work without it.

Other than that, I use Reaper and it works like a charm. If you're interested in free VSTs (as opposed to shelling out for BIAS, etc..) check out the LePou amp sims.

http://lepouplugins.blogspot.ca/

They have pretty much all the bases covered with a Marshall, 5150, Dual Rec, Engl, etc.. They also have LeCab which is an IR loader you'll need for cab sims. As for monitors, the Yamahas will probably be the better way to go. The others might be a little cheaper but the Yamahas are a studio standard for a reason. Definitely worth the extra few dollars.

4. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

Bias is great, I have better luck with Bias FX but I'll be honest when I say I feel there are better amp sims available for the money.

Thermionic and TSE sound better to me and are a bit easier to dial in.

I also second Le Cab. Most of the programs have their own IR Loaders but Le Cab always works for me. Getting the right IR is a very important part of getting a good sound.

Otherwise your post is accurate and that's all you will need. Amp sim, interface and a DAW.

I would also recommend Ozone. It is a great mastering tool for noobs like myself but that's more money like everything else.

My strongest recommendation is to try everyones trial first before you buy something. Bias, Revalver, TSE, Thermionic, etc. they all have free demos to try before you buy.

There are also many other amp sims and some are really good and free, if you want to put in some time searching other forums.

5. Simic

Simic SS.org Regular

Thanks for the suggestions, I checked Focusrite website and it should work withmy Windows 10 :D Ill definitely check out other programs before buying BIAS, Indidnt rven know they existed :D

If I understood correctly, I need a software for amps and another software for cabs?

6. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

No, you need in most cases:

-Amp software
    -Cab files for the amp software. Those will go "inside" the amp software. Most come with default files but the quality of those is usually not very good.

Some configs need separate plugins for amps and cabs but those are free so you have all the latitude to test them. :)

About the mastering/mixing plugin, you'll worry about those when you have recorded and finished a whole song (or more), there isn't a need for it before that, besides Reaper comes with all the needed essentials. (EQ, compressor and reverb)