Would really appreciate some feedback on the direction of my first recording

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by ragnorok, Mar 27, 2015.

1. ragnorok

ragnorok SS.org Regular

https://soundcloud.com/jrb-10/discomb-update-drum-mix2 (idk how to embed soundcloud tracks!!!)

Its far from being done, i just wanted some second opinions on how my mix/eq direction is going. I could really use some Constructive criticism, as this is my first time really recording a track. Also im limited to running my bass direct into my scarlett for now, and i cant stop the audio from clipping:mad: so i am aware of that. The kick and bass so far are the only things that have eq on them, i really wanted the bass to stand out. Any feedback is much appreciated

EDIT: So the drums wer all one not off! I guess thats what i get for rushing 64th note programming before work. So how does everything sound now?

https://soundcloud.com/jrb-10/discomb-update-4

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Impressive. :yesway: I really dig it.

Something weird seemed to happen with the drums around 27 seconds, though.

I don't know if I would change the mix up at all, everything, to me, sounds distinct and big.

3. ragnorok

ragnorok SS.org Regular

Thanks, I forgot to add that the drums are funny in a couple parts. Definetly getting fixed as soon as i get off work. Thanks for the input!

4. Furyof

Furyof SS.org Regular

This is really badass but it sonds like the drums are really off. Are those live drums?
    If you can tighten up the drums and then keep going and get tight playing over the tight drums you'd definitely have something. The drums just sound like they were programmed but they were programmed without any grid.

5. ragnorok

ragnorok SS.org Regular

They are programmed drums, im just not very good at programming them yet. I get lost in the grid sometimes, so those definitely need work. Im also not the best bass player, and that opening bass riff is a tough one:hbang:. Il get it all down though, im just still getting used to using everything. Do the drums seem off throughout the whole song? or just certain sections? Because there are definitely a couple parts i know of that need redone

6. Crescendo

Crescendo Surgical

..What. There's nothing wrong with timing in that song. It's not off. The playing is tight. The bad thing about the drums is just that they sound very Ezdrummerish.
    Edit: looks like he updated the link but what I said about the Ezdrummer sound still stands.

7. ragnorok

ragnorok SS.org Regular

Well there was, but i fixed it and swapped it out with the update. I have no clue how to go about making the drums sound less fake yet, but it will progress im sure

8. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

That sounds a lot better better!