Would my setup benefit from a DI box?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by fridgedollar, Jan 20, 2021.

1. fridgedollar

fridgedollar SS.org Regular

Hey all, I've tried to search for "DI box" on here but the keywords are too short so it won't go through, and I wasn't able to find much in the way of my specific setup anywhere else. I'm using the 3rd gen Focusrite Scarlett 2i2's INST line straight into REAPER using the Archetype Nolly amp sim, which I heard has better support against clipping than the earlier gens, but even with the gain knob all the way down I'm hitting orange (not red) while hard chugging on the lowest string. Most of what I play is similar to Currents' music for reference. I play in drop A on an Agile 7string with Cepheus passive pickups (I guess they are too hot?), but once my new hardware and strings arrive I'll be putting the guitar in Drop E which I assume will make the clipping even worse. Does anyone have any input? I'm basically brand new to recording and don't want to make the mistake of buying something I don't need, as I'm on a budget.

Thanks all :]
    fridge

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  2. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

As long as you’re not clipping the converter you’re fine without a DI. You can double click the take and turn it down, after capturing it (middle of the pop up, left side). Most times it preserves the peaks, even if the clip indicator came on. All the transients will be under control once you reamp or run it through an amp sim. As long as it didn’t actually clip the peak on the way in i.e. still sounds distorted after turning the take down, you’re good to go.

You can use a multiband compressor and set up a band around 200-300hz to control the palm mutes. ReaXcomp can do it, which is included in Reaper. Try 4:1 ratio; fastest attack, 100ms release, and set the threshold so that it’s only really compressing the palm mute sections, maybe only barely touching the other parts. Aim for 3-5dB of gain reduction (red metering on the far right bar).

If you do decide to get a DI: passive pickups use active DI’s, as a general rule. Radial J48 and Countryman Type 10 are two you should consider.

BMFan30 likes this.
  3. fridgedollar

fridgedollar SS.org Regular

thanks a lot for this info! havent been home to have a chance to try your advice out, but appreciate it either way!

4. ZeroS1gnol

ZeroS1gnol SS.org Regular

First thing that springs to mind: lower your pickups a bit and see if that helps.