World Cup 2022

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
Great tournament to be fair so far. Really great group stages that left the final matches like knock out games. Very impressed with the USA side. Although they went out today there is a good young team building there. A lot of shocks. Hard to say who will win. France look the best in the 2 games that mattered to them. Brazil are hit and miss but will probably start playing when they really need to. I have £100 on Brazil....got them at 7/2....bet would return £450 if they win.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have any bets going, but if I were to bet, I'd say Spain and Brazil probably have the highest chances right now, though it seems the Japanese found a good way to counter their playing style. I'd love to bet on Senegal as well, I've lowkey wanted them to get something since their first appearance in 2002. It would be cool for an African nation to win at some point.

Also, is it just me or is there a new trend for goalies to not grab the ball with their hands as often? Some big fuckups this world cup from goalies deciding to just not grab the ball. Examples are Spain (I think their goalie right now is probably their weakest point) and right now Australia's goalie just cost them a goal against Argentina due to a bad pass. He could have well just grabbed it. I only ever follow soccer during world cups, so idk if this has been a thing for a long time and I just wasn't aware.

tedtan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Great tournament to be fair so far. Really great group stages that left the final matches like knock out games. Very impressed with the USA side. Although they went out today there is a good young team building there. A lot of shocks. Hard to say who will win. France look the best in the 2 games that mattered to them. Brazil are hit and miss but will probably start playing when they really need to. I have £100 on Brazil....got them at 7/2....bet would return £450 if they win.
The US did better than I expected, and you bring up a good point in that they are a young team and have a good foundation to build upon going into 2026 and beyond, so I’m not dissapointed.

Also, is it just me or is there a new trend for goalies to not grab the ball with their hands as often? Some big fuckups this world cup from goalies deciding to just not grab the ball. Examples are Spain (I think their goalie right now is probably their weakest point) and right now Australia's goalie just cost them a goal against Argentina due to a bad pass. He could have well just grabbed it. I only ever follow soccer during world cups, so idk if this has been a thing for a long time and I just wasn't aware.
I’ve noticed this, too.

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
The US did better than I expected, and you bring up a good point in that they are a young team and have a good foundation to build upon going into 2026 and beyond, so I’m not dissapointed.

I’ve noticed this, too.
Indeed buddy. They actually should have beaten England and Wales! By far the better side in both games. They badly need a striker though. If that team develops then on home soil in 4 years time they should do well.

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
Imagine a better more developed, mature USMNT in 2026 in North America. Would be a very fun storyline

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
I don't have any bets going, but if I were to bet, I'd say Spain and Brazil probably have the highest chances right now, though it seems the Japanese found a good way to counter their playing style. I'd love to bet on Senegal as well, I've lowkey wanted them to get something since their first appearance in 2002. It would be cool for an African nation to win at some point.

Good points! I love the Japanese and South Korean teams attitude of never say die and just going for it.

The African sides have done really well ala Morocco and Senegal getting through. Cameroon beat Brazil ( never and easy feat) and the other sides doing well in the Group Stages. It would be great for football if a team outside Europe and South America could win the World Cup.

Brazil and Spain could go far. Brazil have, on paper, got the easier side of the group. That's providing they can get past a spirited South Korean side potentially and equally spirited Japanese side in the Quarters. Those matches could prove just as tough as Argentina/Holland in the Semi.

On the other side of the draw. France are faves for me if they overcome possibly England in the quarters. Spain are a good side, technically brilliant with their passing game, might meet Portugal in the quarters...tough one to call but I'd put money on Spain. Ronaldo is all ego and not a team player. That's coming from me a Manchester United fan and nothing to do with his latest tantrum against the club.

tedtan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That one was Brazil’s to lose, and they lost it by not playing their typical aggressive offense during regular time, by allowing Croatia to tie the game (defense isn’t Brazil’s strength), and by missing the penalty kicks.

But that’s not to take anything away from Croatia. They played well, allowed Brazzil to make some mistakes, capitalized on them, and got the win.

And yes, this has been a good World Cup this year.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
I do think Brazil played a better game, or at least a lot more fun to watch. Croatia was very effective in their defense, and their offense eventually managed to penetrate Brazil's defenses when the team thought they could relax after scoring the first goal of the match. (Big mistake to make against a mature and experienced team like Croatia.) Not that Croatia doesn't deserve to win, don't get me wrong. Those guys are tough as bulls and got talent out the ass. They just don't have a style I enjoy as much.

I'm also pretty pissed off at the referee in that match. That was pretty soft on his part to not call some VERY obvious fouls that would have provided either team with openings and could have made for a different match. I get using the VAR and the 4th referee to keep better track of time and allow more accurate stoppage time, but call the fouls man. They've very clearly been told that too much stoppage time was being allocated in the earlier games.

Also, every 4 years I'm reminded of how much I hate penalties. Never a reflection of a team's performance or abilities, but I guess those are the rules. I'm glad I get to see Argentina move on, but I don't think winning penalties says much about them as a team, or about the Netherlands.

If I had to bet now though, it might be on France. Not that I want them to win though :lol: but they strike me as having the better team at the moment.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Fucking livid about the referee during the Netherlands - Argentina game
I couldn't watch the match unfortunately, but I did follow the score. (I couldn't get out of work for that one, but perhaps more importantly, my absolutelt FUMING Brazilian girlfriend refused to put on the match :lol:) I don't think I've ever seen so many yellow cards on one game. :lol: Anyone from Argentina gets another one and they're out of the final, should they even make it lol

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
I’ve been swamped at work all week and I’m so bummed to have missed some amazing matches. I will not be missing Les Bleus vs the Anglo-Saxons. As everyone keeps saying, you can’t count anyone out. With that being said, I have France going all the way and being back-to-back WC champs.

Morocco has proven themselves dangerous contenders and Portugal better not take them lightly. The GOAT alone can not win the match no matter how good he is.

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
I couldn't watch the match unfortunately, but I did follow the score. (I couldn't get out of work for that one, but perhaps more importantly, my absolutelt FUMING Brazilian girlfriend refused to put on the match :lol:) I don't think I've ever seen so many yellow cards on one game. :lol: Anyone from Argentina gets another one and they're out of the final, should they even make it lol
It's the most cards I've seen in a match since Portugal - Netherlands in 2006. Only this time the ref handed cards after it was done and also to the bench for no apparent reason. It was insane. But Messi making a blatant hands ball doesn't get a card, and the Argentine guy shooting a ball full power in the Dutch dugout doesn't either.

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
I’ve been swamped at work all week and I’m so bummed to have missed some amazing matches. I will not be missing Les Bleus vs the Anglo-Saxons. As everyone keeps saying, you can’t count anyone out. With that being said, I have France going all the way and being back-to-back WC champs.

Morocco has proven themselves dangerous contenders and Portugal better not take them lightly. The GOAT alone can not win the match no matter how good he is.
Well Ronaldo wasn't even in the last match and his replacement scored some nice goals so I think they'll be fine without him if need be.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
6-C1025-EB-7848-4-D94-8-A3-F-B336-F08-DE2-CC.jpg
Just FYI, this was only a 190mph crash.