Working out

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Charles, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Charles

Charles Happy Metal

Hey guys,

After being smaller than everyone else and a bum to boot, I've finally decided to do something about it.

I'm 5'11, but 129 pounds. At a first glance I sort of look like a stalk of bamboo, but upon closer observation, some will wonder if it is a thread extending from my sleeve.

The fact that I go to boarding school means I don't have a lot of time. Between working my nuts off to make the kind of grades I want and practicing guitar, there's not much time left. Any workout is great, but if it takes up less time all the better.

So, what do I need to do to put on some muscle and look less like a stand-in for a lamp post?

2. xiphoscesar

xiphoscesar SS.org Regular

dude i know wat you mean about the grades and guitar practice thing too,
    all u need is an hour free to workout, and u work out different body parts
    but it takes time and dedication too

and nutrition is a big part of getting muscle too

3. Arminius

Arminius SS.org Regular

Does your boarding school have a gym?

4. Charles

Charles Happy Metal

Yup, one of the finest in the state, actually.

They have pretty much everything you would ever need to work out.

5. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

Go there and lift things.

6. Arminius

Arminius SS.org Regular

:agreed: I'm sure there's someone there who could help you get started.

7. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

You don't need too much time :) Just makesure you keep it up.
    I am just short of 5'10" (have been so for about 3 years - guess I'll stay there). I used to weigh about 140 pounds and was what I believe is called 'skinny fat' (very slim but with plenty of fat - not a nice combination :ugh:) I've worked out on average 2 hours a week for the past 2 years with a variety of freeweight exercises, making steady progress. I've put on a good 30 pounds and lost a hell of a lot of fat. I know people can put that much on in a few months but hey, it shows you don't need to put by much time at all to make progress :)
    Just set by a few hours each week and you'll do good!

8. rvai

rvai SS.org Regular

Just work out and eat protein, that´s the most important thing to gain muscle, muscle cells are really large and have a lot of protein, so if you want to have more muscle you need a lot more protein, if you do work out, those proteins will be used to form muscle. But if you don´t, protein will become "energy", actually meaning fat..

9. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

Muscles are made up of only 20% protein. Its doubtful you need to take in more protein than you already do. Consuming extra protein wont do much more than increase your fluid requirements , create extra urea and load up your liver/kidneys.

Just work out and eat healthy. :)

10. ElDuderino

ElDuderino Well-Known Member

It's true that you probably don't need any more protein than you are already consuming, but there really aren't any negative side effects of drastically increasing your protein intake, that is just a myth. There are actually loads of benefits of increased protein intake. If you want to put on muscle mass, it comes down to lifting heavy (mainly focusing on compound lifts such as squats, deadlifts, bench presses, military presses, etc.), increasing your calorie intake (clean calories), and eating frequently. :yesway:

11. Sang-Drax

Sang-Drax SS.org Regular

As far as spare time goes, I've got a tip... schedule your sessions when you wouldn't be doing anything. You can't be practicing or studying all the time. I work out at night, when I'm too tired to study and it's too late to play guitar anyway. I try to hit the gym quite often (5x a week on average), but I don't stay there for too long at each day (1h-1h30). My progressions doesn't go too fast, but it works. :)

12. rvai

rvai SS.org Regular

The cytoskeleton is completely made of protein, skeletal muscle cells are very large, and in order to get bigger and larger they need more protein to expand the cytoskeleton.

Of course if you start taking excess proteins you´ll have kidney problems, but moderately increasing your daily protein intake in order to help the rough endoplamic reticulum to synthetize more cytoskeleton protein from aminoacids broken in your stomach won´t harm you, just don´t exagerate the protein intake.

13. ElDuderino

ElDuderino Well-Known Member

Like I said earlier, the notion that a high protein diet leads to kidney problems is merely a myth. Dr. John Berardi wrote an article in an effort to debunk this myth in which he discussed how there is absolutely no data in healthy adults suggesting that a high protein intake causes the onset of renal dysfunction. There aren't even any correlational studies showing this effect. So go ahead and increase your protein intake, you won't notice anything but benefits.

14. rvai

rvai SS.org Regular

Actually some proteins are big enough to get stuck in nephrons, that´s teh dangerous part, but unless the protein intake is extremely exessive it won´t happen..

15. Wookieslayer

Wookieslayer OOOAAARWWWRR

my roommate has been hitting up the gym and has increased his protein intake a lot with whey protein and shakes and he's been saying lately that his big toe hurts. he says people keep telling him because he's eating too much protein and not balancing it with other nutrients... lol is this true?

i'm trying to hit up the gym and eat more protein myself.. hehe