Woodburned Ibanez RG7620s

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by GuitarGod1036, Oct 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuitarGod1036

GuitarGod1036 Active Member

Hey guys,

Some of you from the Petrucci and Portnoy forums may have seen these, but if not, here are two of the guitars I did woodburned designs on. These are both RG7620s (I've done other guitars but these are currently the only 7's that I've done). They are both owned by Steve Sorrell, guitarist/singer for Esucarys. I thought you guys might dig 'em....

Ouija - unfinished:
    [​IMG]

Finito:
    [​IMG]

Then, back in April before I left Cali, I did a replica of a Paul Booth tattoo on his other RG, and also customized the headstock:

[​IMG]

Paul Booth signing said guitar at tattoo convention in Sacto:

[​IMG]

2. Goliath

Goliath Contributor

oh...my....god..

Those are fucking AWESOME. How long does something like that take, and how much does it cost?

That's sick!!

3. Chris

Chris Forum MVP

:hbang:

Dude that's so sweet. You could make a killing doing that professionally.

4. Vince

Vince Contributor

The ouija board is cool, but that second one blows my mind!! Amazing job.

5. Chris

Chris Forum MVP

Man.. Natural finish guitars look so damn nice, don't they?

6. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

badass \m/

7. jacksonplayer

jacksonplayer The Fusion Guy! Contributor

Wow, those are simply amazing!

With a 7620 body, the only thing I would worry about having a natural finish is that basswood is very soft and prone to nicks and dents.

8. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

wow... i wish MY natural finish rg7621 had something like that on it!!

9. Prophecy420

Prophecy420 BEADGBE

Holy shit!

10. The Sleeper

The Sleeper SS.org Regular

F*****G amazing work dude, kudos'!!!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Catch ya........Joe :)

11. GuitarGod1036

Thanks for all the great words guys. I really do appreciate it. As we speak I am stripping down my RG7620 (Vampire Kiss) and am going to do another Ouija board burn. Yes, basswood is soft wood, but it's not THAT soft. It's the perfect wood for woodburning, but with a sealer and laquer/clearcoat it's just as prone to dent as it is when painted. For the record, Ibanez has really wimpy paintjobs on these guitars. Gel paintstripper just eats it up like nothing. I tried using the same stuff to strip a Charvel and it's still not done. Those things literally have a dozen layers of paint on them.

The Oujia design usually takes me about a week to do. There is just so much detail and not much room for error. Plus, letters take a lot of time and patience. The Greenman (Paul Booth tattoo) one only took me two days, but it was literally almost two days non-stop. It was the week I was leaving California to come back down to New Orleans and I wanted to have it done for Sorrell before I left. I finished the headstock about seven hours before I drove out of town. For the record, I will NEVER do that one again. For one reason, because it's a really fuckin' hard design, secondly, it was because I wanted to have a completely unique, guaranteed one-of-a-kind guitar for Sorrell, because that dude is like a brother to me, and he deserved something special.

Yeah, that Greenman burn scared the shit out of me. I was constantly thinking while working on it: "Either this is gonna be my best piece, or I owe Sorrell a new guitar body." Well, sometimes it is better to be lucky than good, because halfway through it I thought I was screwed....it looked like a mess with no shading. Shading is everything though.

12. No Soul

No Soul bringer of mosh

seriously, thats one of the most beautiful things Ive seen done to a guitar.
    one question:
    howmuch $ $ $ ? ? ?

13. GuitarGod1036

Just stripped down my RG7620VK (Vampire Kiss)....when I bought this guitar used, it had a bunch of nicks in it, so it made it a prime candidate....

[​IMG]

And a before and after of the headstock......before:

[​IMG]

...and after:

[​IMG]

There's just somethin' so sexy about a woodgrain headstock, no? Even though I will end up putting the same type logo on the headstock as the Paul Booth guitar....

14. Metal Ken

Im wondering just how much that costs. I'd be so tempted to do it...

I wonder if the board on the Ouija one 'works' ? ;p

15. Metal Ken

Wow,that looks a lot different than what ed roman is proposing ibanez bodies look like without paint:
    http://www.edromanguitars.com/resources/images/ibabondo.jpg

Low res pictures showing guitars covered in bondo and wood putty.
    Nice to know he's lying (Whats new?).

16. GuitarGod1036

Now, they do have some pretty thin paint jobs, I'll have to say that. What paint stripper takes off is paint and only paint. Once you get under that it looks like you're at wood, but you're not. There's now this wonderful pain in the ass layer (let's say layerS) of what I'm guessing is a superhigh-quality wood sealer. It looks clear until you start sanding it, and it sands a color I call "death white", it's almost like plaster or sheetrock or something like that. It's weird. But, you can't woodburn through it. If you hit the woodburning stylus on it, you have to break through it, and it acts very brittle. Like rock candy. It's weird.

But, after some really, really patient and tedious sanding, you'll get to the good stuff. So far, three RG7620s stripped and they all have some pretty good lookin' wood. Even when it was obvious there were two pieces (the Paul Booth guitar), the wood was still cool. I mean, look at that body, coming down from the upper cutaway. Those diagonal streaks are so cool!!! I worked the top leaves of the image into those diagonal streaks on purpose, so it would flow nicely. That wood rules. Damn.

This one has grain that looks more like the first Ouija I did. That's cool too. I've stripped a couple of Charvels and blllllllllllech!!! Sudumuhfugly (super-duper-motherfuckin'-ugly) wood. I stripped one to burn and I just can't. Gonna have to repaint that one. Hopefully I'll start getting custom bodies done affordably so I don't have to do this paint strippin' shit. It feels like more work than the artwork. Sheesh. But, Charvel puts an asston of paint on their guitars. I'll give them that. You wanna strip a Charvel, dip it in some Kryptonite-laced uranium waste, and save yourself some time. Them boys don't play when it comes to a paintjob.

But, this guitar should be Ouija-fied by the weekend.

BTW, here are my first three woodburned guitars:

My first....Dragon on cheapo Charvette (I ain't gonna try it right out the gates on a REAL guitar)...Decent guitar still....Putting a brand new Schaller Floyd made it much better. The woodburning didn't seem to hurt either (it was a red/black crackle finish......Uber80's!!! yeah!)

[​IMG]

This is an old ass bass a friend of mine in Florida had. Thing was from the late sixties/early seventies, but not a quality instrument, so not a classic or anything (ohhh, and it had the UGLIEST paintjob ON...THE......PLANET. It was like a Les Paul Sunburst, but in BROWN. I called it SHITBURST). The Kanji is the names of him, his wife, and his two boys. The pagoda is The Golden Pagoda in Japan. The rest is just tattoo designs.

[​IMG]

This one is a heavy alder tele body.I bought the body raw off eBay. Burned this guitar. I posted on a band forum pictures just so my friends could see it. The next day Steve Sorrell bought it. He dubbed it the "Dragoncaster". I called it a "Pyrocaster". You know, in general I don't like tele's (I hate Fender altogether, as a rule), but this was gonna be a metal guy's version of a Tele. Man, THIS GUITAR PLAYS AWESOME. It's so solid. You really wouldn't try to shred on it, but if you can play some heavy-handed SRV, this guitar is King. The neck is unreal. Sorrell put some serious work into that guitar.

[​IMG]

17. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

Nice looking stuff there man!

18. macalpine88

macalpine88 SS.org Regular

thats purdy the dragons awsome :scream2: :hbang:

19. GuitarGod1036

Whew. Well, this was an adventure. Seems what I thought was a completely stripped and sanded guitar body (posted above).....wasn't. Yep. I got fooled. Of course, I sensed this early in the burning process, but it wasn't really bad so I continued to burn. It wasn't until I was doing the burn on the sun image that it got bad. How bad? Much, much baddity. So, after spending about 30 hours or so on this burn already, I had to START ALL OVER. Yay!!!! So, back to sanding...sanded off all the burning I had done (all the letters and numbers...and those things take for-eh-verrrrr).....and just bit my lip and got back at it. I just finished about an hour ago, and I'm glad I started over, because it just would've sucked if I hadn't. So, here ya go......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And just to get an idea of what it'll look like together.....

[​IMG]

20. Vince

Vince Contributor

So, you selling any of these? These look absofuckinglutley amazing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.