WOES: trying out equipment

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by halsinden, Jun 3, 2008.

1. halsinden

halsinden it's a british thing

sorry if this is a common post, or sounds n00b-esque.

i've been offered a fantastic price on a top line amp, new. i can go to a major london retailers / suppliers to try out as and when i please. i've realised i'm steadily becoming shit scared of doing so.

i'm so very much not the kind of guitarist who blazes away, i can't sit down at a guitar and impress someone (not that you have to, when trying out) but it's even in some cases to the point that i don't generally like playing infront of people.

a dichotomy, sure, but i'm absolutely fine on a stage. i see myself as a purely functional guitarist, i don't play for the social element (ie. campfire tunes on an acoustic for singalongs), i can't play 'eruption' backwards, the way i am is that i approach guitar as i do my acting - i learn what i'm employed to perform, and i learn it well to fit the job at hand. when performing shakespeare, i wouldn't also learn chekov to warm up with.

it's paranoia, i know, but i can't be the only person who has this - does anyone else feel scrutinised by music retailer shop employees when you go to try equipment out?

bloody mental blocks.

H

2. astrocreep

astrocreep SS.org Regular

It's not just you.

In a band situation I'm fine nowadays, but sit me down in a guitar shop and my brain stops working, my hands shake and I just slam out mediocre power chords that are almost in time.

3. InTheRavensName

InTheRavensName Dog says yes ^.^ Yes

I'm exactly the same way dude. I can run out with ITRN, and knock out some pretty cool riffs and even the odd half decent solo (hell, I can even pull of sweeps occasionally when the adrenaline is going :nuts:) but as soon as I sit down in front of an amp in a shop, all I can pull off is a couple of palm muted triplets or some powerchords...no tapping, legato, anything

:realmad:

4. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

Most of the music store jack-offs here are either people I know, or they suck at playing/life, so I just ignore them. :lol:

5. Thrashmanzac

Thrashmanzac plays in 69/42

6. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    Just play, you need to be able to get it up to reasonable volume to really hear what it'll be like though. I hate playing in front of people, but you can normally get a decent feel for something within about 10 minutes.

7. PeteyG

PeteyG Big Bear

If you're a good rhythm player I wouldn't worry about it, music shop employees spend most of their day hearing people either shredding their arses off, or bluesing it, a decent rhythm bit of playing to test out an amp to what you need it to do (which is the entire point) will be a nice refreshment for them I imagine.

Went to Wembley Drum Center recently with RSF's drummer for him to try out drums when picking out a new kit for him, and we we're in there for a few hours, he's a big metal player but when he tests stuff out he does loads of linear playing and groovy jazz stuff which is equivalent of being a good rhythm guitarist, and the guys in there actually thanked him for something different than just double pedal and blast beats which is what they're used to.

8. halsinden

halsinden it's a british thing

i mean, the thing i don’t get is why they’d be thinking it’s necessary to pass comment or criticise at all. i worked for many years at the london rock shop in camden, you get exposed to some proper nutters admittedly, but even if there’s a total beginner coming down and banging out smoke on the water on a mesa, frankly if he’s got the money and wants to sound good then why be negative?

H

9. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    Expensive amp does not equal good sound, a lot of the time you'll find that anyone can make a good amp sound horrifically bad through poor eq and poor playing, whilst you should be able to plug into something, possibly boost it for some gain and make it sound good, and a lot of that is playing. Of course, some things will never sound good, but hey...

Still, i can see why it'd be tiring to work in a music shop, in fact, i've been toying with the idea of learning stairway to heaven, smells like teen spirit, the beginning to sweet child o mine and smoke on the water along with any other hated guitar shop song, and then going on a mission to see how long it takes for shop assistants to ask me to stop.

10. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

When I go to the shop I'm rarely in the mood to really be playing and I think that's why I never play too well when I go there.

11. dpm

dpm Oni Guitars Contributor

You know what gave me more confidence with this kind of thing? Working in a music shop (of sorts).

Trust me, these dudes hear far more shite guitarists than you can dream exist, and some of these fine 'guitarists' actually believe they're fucking fantastic. For the most part the staff are totally switched off, so don't worry about it.
    If you want to hear how something sounds I find it's generally best to play very simple stuff anyway, a couple of power chords (let them ring), palm mutes, etc. to get an idea of how the thing reacts, how the harmonics mesh together, tweak the knobs as you go. If said item sounds and feels good you'll probably find you want to keep playing it and feel a little more confident. :2c:

I should add that I work practically next door to the biggest music store in town, enjoy a great professional relationship with them, and get along with the guys there well on a personal level..... and I still hate trying out gear :lol:

12. metalfiend666

metalfiend666 - Forum MVP

Hal, don't worry about it. I'm nervous, but I get over it. If you just play your own stuff, no one can tell you you're playing it wrong. I'm also not a virtuouso. In fact, now parenthood has severely limited my practice time I've had to accept I'll never make a lead guitarist, so I'm just concentrating on solid rhythm and the odd lead here and there.

Someone playing rhythm chops solidly with confidence sounds a million times better than someone ham-fistedly trying to blaze away at some bad sweep picked shredding.

13. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

the easiest thing to do, i guess, is to figure out what you want to play before going in. what are you looking for in a good amp? find a song where these traits are easily discernable, and play that.

edit: also, they should have attenuators in shops. like, as standard equipment for amps. that way people could turn it up without blasting people´s eardrums out.

14. Prada3353

Prada3353 Banned

most of those dudes can't play worth a shit anyways, and don't know much concerning gear =/

15. MrRedRaider

MrRedRaider SS.org Regular

haha yea right! try mentioning the word attenuator and grab a bag of popcorn and a drink to enjoy the expressions of a confused and ignorant guitar store salesman. I however, agree! hehe.

16. Zer0

Zer0 That Guy

Coming from someone who is in this field I can say from personal experience that most guitar store personnel just plain don't give two shits about your playing. Not to seem negative but I hear all sorts of music being played out of all sorts of musical instruments and their amps all the time and, for the most part (and I speak on behalf of many of us), it doesn't phase us. Whether its a kid bashing out a horrible rendition of KSE or an old timer shredding every fret on the neck in one lick, its all stuff we've heard before. Sure most music store employees will take a mental note of your playing, it won't really count for much and will be ultimately forgotten. I say go in there and play what you play, figure out what you wanted to figure out and to hell with everyone else:yesway:.

17. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Active Member

im the same. I can wail away at home when im alone, but as soon as i get into a guitar store...instant fail. even if i practice before hand what im going to play...i just suck in the store. and if im trying something i think i may want, im more incline to just buy it to get it home and try it out then.

im also the same when if someone asks me to play guitar...i just cant do it and mindblank. but if i lock myself in the room i find that brings out the best in me

im a decent player and have been playing in bands to crowds for a some time, but i find that lately i just dont have the urge to performing to people. i dont even tell people that i play anymore as they expect you to be some guitar god

i love playing guitar still and recording at home but yeah...dont really like people watching anymore

18. Cadavuh

Cadavuh Bounce The ....

Haha i cant believe you guys! I have no problem going and playing in a store. I think the people that are working there though think im cocky because i play really loud but im just trying to push the amp ya know?

19. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

I actually seem to play better on a guitar off the rack at a store. i dont know why. the amp is usually the same ole MG series marshall that's in the local store, but i pick up a schecter off the wall or something and i just play it differently.

if i bought said schecter, i'd probably feel like i was playing the same old stuff as soon as it got home. its really weird.

anyway, go test out the amp if you havent already - ignore everyone else there.

20. newamerikangospel

newamerikangospel Tonight.......you

Dont worry about it :shrug: