Wiring help - bridge position on 3 way disappeared?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Opion, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Opion

Opion Sir Mattafer

Hey guys, i'm having a hard time trying to find any information on this issue I'm having. I installed a Dimarzio Tone Zone (from a Crunchlab before) in my LTD M200fm, which has a 3 way switch, vol/tone (with coil tap). But after I rewired it exactly like the CL was, I now only get the exact same 1 sound from the middle position as well as the bridge. It's not out of phase, sounds like it could be the middle position it's only getting.

The bridge pup wiring is: red to switch lug, green/bare to the side of the switch (the neck pickup is like that as well, not wired to the volume pot), and black/white to the tone knob. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!! :wavey:

2. Baelzebeard

Baelzebeard Grinder of strings

Black and white to the tone knob sounds wrong.

They should simply be spliced together for normal series operation, or to a switch for coil splitting/series-parallel.

Also, it's ok for the pickup ground to go the switch chassis as long as the switch chassis is properly connected to ground.

3. Opion

Opion Sir Mattafer

Hmm, the neck pickup has the black and white on the tone knob as well (which is a coiltap switch).

I tried putting the CL back to see if something was up with the pickup, because it was working before, and now it's doing the same thing. I'm thinking it may just need new electronics because this is a 9 year old guitar, and the tone knob actually hasn't worked as far as what tone knobs do - it will coil split, but turning it does nothing to the sound. Could it still be a wiring issue?