Wiring help.. Blackouts+EMG solderless+ibanez 5 way+Ibanez Ouput

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by KGINDI7, May 15, 2013.

1. KGINDI7

KGINDI7 SS.org Regular

Hi there,
    heading is self explanatory.
    Need wiring help on the new set of pickups( ahb1 blackouts) with solderless emg kit .
    I need to wire it with my existing ibanez 5-way switch and jack.
    I am no tech tycoon so please help .. Wiring diagrams much appreciated..:bowdown:

2. iloki

iloki SS.org Regular

The easiest thing to do is going to be to swap the 5 way with a 3 way, you can even get a solderless EMG switch if you want. You can do it with the 5 way, however that 5 way is designed for 4 conductor wiring, so what you would do is bridge the poles on the switch in such a way that the one hot lead from the blackout has a path to the same areas as the Ibanez pups hot and coil wires.
    However, you're going to be stuck soldering to the Ibanez Jack regardless. The Ibanez jack is a stereo jack, so you don't need to worry about that. Just need to figure out which tab is ring, sleeve, and tip.

If you have any soldering experience out should be pretty simple. Even if you don't, soldering small tabs like that is really easy.

I'm sorry I didn't link you to a diagram for the jack, I'm on my phone. I'll update later if somebody else doesn't beat me to it.

3. KGINDI7

KGINDI7 SS.org Regular

much appreciated.. Waiting for the diagram.

4. iloki

iloki SS.org Regular

Here's what I think should work with the 5 way. If I'm correct, this should get you Bridge + Neck in the center position, Bridge, and Neck at either end. I am not sure however, what positions 2 and 4 will be, likely either just the bridge or neck, or both the bridge and neck.

BON on the image are the Bridge, Output and Neck terminals on the EMG Solderless bus.
    The ground on the switch should go to one of the ground terminals on the bus.

I've labeled the jack for Tip, Ring and Sleeve as well. The battery negative will go to the Ring connection, Sleeve and Tip to the output of the pots.
    For the rest of the connections (from the bus to the pots, etc) follow the instructions in the solderless kit.

Attached Files:

5. KGINDI7

KGINDI7 SS.org Regular

i just saw that the emg quick connect system has come with just one pickup cable. What do I do now? Traditional method? Soldering?

6. iloki

iloki SS.org Regular

Did the blackouts come with quick connect cables?
    If so, it's probably quick connect on one end, and standard wire on the other right?

There are pads that you can solder to if you need to on the EMG bus. They go on in the same spots as the EMG quick connects, just soldered on the pads instead of plugging in.

You can also get another quick connect cable pretty easy, though they aren't terribly cheap

7. KGINDI7

KGINDI7 SS.org Regular

8. KGINDI7

KGINDI7 SS.org Regular

also, from where does that output wire comes to the switch?

9. iloki

iloki SS.org Regular

The diagram that you linked to on Jemsite leaves the two in between positions (2 and 4) empty. It also does not use the EMG solderless system.

I can't say for sure that the ibanez 5 way will work properly, but what I gave you is my best guess as to what should work.

For the output wire, look on the EMG solderless bus. You'll see there's 3 places for switch wires to go. One will be labeled BR (bridge), one NK (neck) and one O (output).
    These will be in a small, green terminal block on the side, with 3 places for wires.

Edit:
    Someone there described a configuration simpler than mine that will work:

So, take my diagram, ignore the wires connected to the second, fifth, seventh and eights tabs, going from left to right on the diagram.
    This will get you Bridge, Bridge, Bridge + Neck, Neck, Neck.
    The one I gave you, would be Bridge, Bridge + Neck, Bridge + Neck, Bridge + Neck, Neck.

10. KGINDI7

KGINDI7 SS.org Regular

so I ignore the wire from 2 to 3 and 7 to 8 also. Right? So I get 4 wires total connected to 1, 3,4 nd 6th.