Wiring Guru's. Flex your brain muscle with this puzzle

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Corpsegrinder88, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Corpsegrinder88

Corpsegrinder88 Jackson Whore

Ok. So i have a Charvel ST deluxe. which is basically a 4 single coil sized pup pick guard. with the bridge pups stacked. s-s-ss

so what i did is take those JC100's out. and put some Duncan STK1's which are 4 wire double stacked pups..

So if this was yours how would you wire it? ?

I have plenty of push/pull pots, on/on, on/off/on, and on/on/on DPDT switches as well.. and almost forgot i also have a super 5 way blade switch too..

Lets get crazy! Help me come up with a tonal monster!

This is what it looks like before i put the Duncans in..

[​IMG]

2. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

Hmm, so 4 single coils. First switch I would do is a bridge add.

Then I would wire one of the middle pickups (whichever you thick you will like more) to an on/off switch and it's own volume pot. ( I would do this for the inside coil of the 2 in the same spot, assuming you are putting them together to look like a bucker). The volume pot is not required though.

I would wire the neck pickup to a phase reversal.

I would wire the middle pickup not on it's own switch to a 5 way with the neck and bridge.

Not sure splitting/how you run the coils in a stacked bucker is going to make much a difference though.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  3. Rook

Rook Electrifying

I'd have it on a five way like a normal strat with the bridge pickups on a 3pdt on/on switch to select which of the bridge pickups is active then a master push/push pot that makes them all true single coil :yesway:.
    That should be fairly straightforward, and every feature is highly usable :D

Not that the mighty Sir Myghin, master of wiring, does not also make a good, practical suggestion :lol:

4. SirMyghin

the 3pdt is a good idea, or a DPDT on/on/on and get it north/both/south. (effectively wiring the 2 singles to together like a bucker). Would still run a bridge add and a 5 way though.

The cutting the stacked cools is also very interesting. Would probably open them up a bit.

would still have a phase switch in there though :lol:

5. Corpsegrinder88

nice ideas. Keep em coming . Thanks guys.

6. SirMyghin

I am afraid this is it for 'gurus' , if you need any help wiring this beast up let me know. I will do my best to answer any questions you have.

7. MrMcSick

MrMcSick Derp

I like the idea of the 2 in the bridge hooked to a north/both/south 3way and all tied to a 5 way with the others.

8. Corpsegrinder88

LOL.. Actually thats quite a few ideas. I like em.. This is what im doing this weekend.. So i might be PM'ing ya if i cant quite track all the wires down.. Im getting better but when there are so many options like this,. it gets overwhelming and confusing..

Thanks again SirMyghin and others...

9. ev1ltwin

ev1ltwin Sad Redskins Fan

To be honest, this is pretty much the same thing is having an HSS guitar. You have the advantage of having everything hum cancelling already tho. There are plenty of wiring sites on the web with suggestions for HSS wiring. This one is my favorite, and it employs the use of the Schaller Megaswitch M: How about a definitive H/S/S thread? - The Gear Page

EDIT: That's a good thread, but not actually my favorite. I have the better HSS thread bookmarked on my personal laptop (I'm at work right now). I'll post it in this thread when I get home. The other thread has a push/pull to split the humbucker in addition to having all the single coil and single coil modes see 250kohm resistance while the humbucker mode sees 500kohm.

10. Cheesebuiscut

Cheesebuiscut Loves his Q-tuners

Wait do you have four of those single coil sized humbuckers? So its like having an H-H-HH guitar? Cause if thats the case I'd imagine you can do a lot more in terms of splitting the coils.

11. ev1ltwin

ev1ltwin Sad Redskins Fan

those stacked single coils are technically humbuckers, but i dont think they split like normal humbuckers would (one coil is wound a lot more than the other, and also the coils are not side-to-side). in addition, the stk-s1's are low output in full humbucker mode, so your split tones might sound pretty weird. there's no harm in trying though.

here's a link to that thread that i promised i would post: HRI • View topic - 500k or 250k pot for volume?. BRUNO's post at the end of page 2 is pretty awesome.

12. Cheesebuiscut

Cheesebuiscut Loves his Q-tuners

Aw thats less fun.

13. Rayne Mann

Rayne Mann SS.org Regular

Mini toggle on-offs for the singles (spdt or dpdt) and a series-split-parallel toggle (dpdt) for the hot rails! That would give you like 2 dozen switching capabilities! While you're at it, do individual pickup volumes (2 dual concentric pots) and a master tone control. You would have the most unique and flat out pretentious wiring scheme of any guitarist you know. \m/ \m/

14. SirMyghin

You will then proceed to lose the direction sheet and smash the guitar in rage :lol:

15. Rayne Mann

Rayne Mann SS.org Regular

LOL It's pretty straight forward to me but then again I can remember schematics to effects pedals so this is pretty straight forward to me.

If you want me to draw up a diagram, let me know! In my opinion this is actually feasible if you can get the phases all correct.

16. Corpsegrinder88

That's a pic before I put the stk1's in. lol. Those pups in the picture came out long ago.

That's an idea. But yes its 4 stk1's so I guess you could look at it like a h-h-hh.

Thanks for the link. I'm going to go over alot and just keep trying stuff.

Btw . Funny avatar ev1ltwin. Lol