Wiring codes all mixed up, Duncans in an Ibanez.

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Vrollin, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

Ok so just picked received an SZ4020, it has the Duncan/IBZ pickups which are just Duncan SH1 and TB6 pickups, stamped and labelled this was on the back, so I am assuming they are the normal duncan colour codes.
    For standard HB series it is meant to be;
    Green + Bare to ground
    White + red together and taped
    Black to hot

No on inspection of my wiring I noticed it is all sorts of crazy. It's hooked up to one of the Ibanez 3 way box toggle switches with 12 posts a so;
    [​IMG]

Neck we have;
    White + bare to ground
    Green + black to switch
    Red to hot

and bridge;
    Green + bare to ground
    White + red to switch
    Black to hot...

I'm lost, everything works, as in I strum and its making sounds, but is what I'm hearing some sort of split coiled out of phase, paralleled voodoo?
    Anyone know what is going on here who is more familiar with HB configurations??

2. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar come├ža...
    ... so, I didn't really understand what you want to know. Does the guitar work? What do you want to do with it, meaning what do you want it to do? Do you want to mod the guitar?

I've never seen that switch, but it guess you are hearing Neck in serial, Neck in serial + Bridge in serial (parallel mix), Bridge in serial.

Also, that photo doesn't allow for a complete understanding of the wiring scheme, at least for me.

3. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

As I said yes it works, but wasnt sure of exactly what configuration or wiring type I was getting based on the selector due to unfamiliarity of the wiring setup from standard series wiring.
    All good though, found out that the mix is series neck/mix coil tap/series bridge configuration.

4. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member