Wireless Guitar Suggestions

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by GunpointMetal, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Tisca

Tisca Big-tube snob

I'm confused. Fluence pickups or smth else?

2. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

Fluence pickups don't work with the G10s unless you use the adapter. All my other guitars/pickups are fine without it. I assume the same may be true of EMGs.

Tisca likes this.
  3. Lax

Lax SS.org Regular

I've been using a boss WL50 for 11 Months and could not be more happy :)

GunpointMetal likes this.
  4. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

I'm using the Line 6 G50 myself. The issue with dropouts is real, but it can often be dealt with with a combination of picking a different channel and positioning the receiver on a different spot - sometimes "suboptimal" positions yield great results when using WiFi units. Granted this can get trickier if you're hellbent on having the receiver stuck to the pedalboard.

5. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

I'm in the position that when we're playing live we're expected to keep changeovers between bands under 20 minutes MAX. Between our various DI tracks (kick, samples, keys, sub drops), our IEM rig that I'm pretty much responsible for understanding, and being able to help move drum gear on and off, spending a few minutes with an extra 20' guitar cable trying to find an interference free spot on stage for my wireless receiver would feel like an eternity. I'm also using a Helix as my entire guitar rig, so I would really like to keep it as "all in one" as possible.

6. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

It's typically quite fast to sort, to be honest, but any Wi Fi receiver will be vulnerable to this sort of thing. UHF, on the other hand, suffers greatly with radio frequency saturation and there's really no way to evade that one when it does happen, so do keep that in mind. Ideal spot from the get go for me tends to be by my monitor for whatever reason, and cables were needed once in total, so it's hardly that frequent. I usually do that as the drumkit is being put together, so that's as unobtrusive as it gets, but I get that the whole changeover + pseudo-soundcheck-that-is-basically-a-linecheck-may-the-gods-help-you thing does exist and can make the whole process far messier!

7. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Active pickups use the ring part of a stereo jack to connect the battery, but small rechargable wireless systems use this same ring to charge the wireless battery, so that will mess with active pickups working. Using the adapter gets around that.