Wintersun's Jari Mäenpää on Time II Problems

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by jvms, Jul 31, 2014.

1. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, but every once in a while I could swear I'm hearing random notification sounds and standard PC or mobile bleeps and bloops that accidentally make it into pro recordings. I might be imagining it. But I don't think I am. Maybe it's kind of like those "phantom messages" when you think your phone has vibrated in your pocket but it turns out there's nothing and you probably just have a circulation problem or a twitch or something.

Randy likes this.
  2. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

Sad part is, I know of artists who do everything themselves and still don't seem to have these problems...

3. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

"I'm a very skilled painter with some great art that a very loyal following truly appreciates and resonates with, and one of my crown pieces is in fact a part of a much bigger painting and project that is yet to arrive! The ambition of the entire painting requires a canvas much larger than my current assets can handle, so I will have to manage for now unless I am able to harbor support from my loyal fans! I have a few requirements to be able to produce the rest of the image you all appreciate and follow me so much for to be addressed.

The overall painting is multiple times larger than my current working situation can even house. I require housing that can handle a canvas 10x the size of the original, and none of the homes/office spaces in my vicinity will cut it so I would prefer to fund and build housing to handle this ambitious project! If you'd like to support me please feel free to show me on my new crowdfunding page to build an environment to foster and handle the project that you all are very much looking forward to!

some time later...

I have been receiving feedback that after some time now, and several years of touring my art around the world that there has not been an update on the ambitious project we worked towards with the crowdfunding project released before. I have run into several issues that make for some difficulty in managing any progress on this long awaited piece, after the construction of my new home and workspace I've encountered issues with my tools. I find that both keeping the entire canvas in the room along with all of my various pigments and brushes is nigh on impossible. It is also regrettable that the palette to house absolutely all colors that are required to work on this painting at once simply cannot fit in the same room as my other tools which understandably exacerbates the delays I have encountered.

Fear not! For in the last few years has produced the concept and inspiration for 4 main pieces of work that I plan on releasing in the near future. Yes, one of those pieces is indeed the much awaited project that requires a plethora of preparation and the correct environment to work on. The issues presented before truly hamper my inspiration to work on the ambitious piece, so regrettably even with all of the demand I must remind you all that the pace of an artist is not set by it's audience and this cannot be rushed. So please be patient as I work towards these future pieces, of which are thematically different and a return to form in more ways than one! These new pieces are currently inspiring me quite a bit, so please understand that they will more than likely release before the long awaited and expected piece that was promised with the crowdfunding project. Please understand that I am working at my own pace and at the current position I am in will probably produce more art to be appreciated or it may never actually come to fruition. So please handle your own expectations for my work as we move forward.

I will be updating you all soon on our next crowdfunding project to fund the next part of my artistic development!"

Can you imagine defending and funding delusions of this level? It's so laughably ridiculous that I find it hard to even rationalize his ramblings. Jari can suck my balls, modern computers have made do and produced some of the greatest music of our time and he's hiding behind not having the resources to load all tracks/plugins/samples and play/record them at the same time to bait his fans into buying him another 3 years.

I don't need to render 8k footage in Adobe Premiere natively while editing to make sure I release my project in time for a deadline, you downsample the video and work within your means. In literally any other industry if you leave a client hanging for 3 years you no longer have a client nor any credibility to harness any major support from your disappointed followers.

"But the music is epic!"

:lol:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  4. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

This!

Why does he even need so many tracks?

The first album was good because it had good songs with good riffs and melodies.

Time 1 sucked because it had a bunch of crap just layered on top of itself. It doesn't sound epic, it just sounds lame and muddies everything up. If your music doesn't call for an insane amount of tracks, don't use them! A high-end computer can't handle the music? That's a sign the music sucks.

What kinds of chords does he use? 7ths? 9ths? 13ths? Does he use polytonality? What is going on in all these tracks? I would be surprised if it's much more than a bunch of roots and thirds layered endlessly with choirs and what-have-you, and maybe some stupid harp arpeggio that you obviously cannot hear because there's a wall of guitars covering everything. And he thinks the solution is a better computer? Please.

I think he doesn't know what he's doing and could use some help. But he won't have that, because he doesn't care enough about actually being productive. He seems to be happy just doing what he does and never finishing anything, and as long as people support him monetarily, hey, why not? It works, right?

5. Dayn

Dayn silly person

Mud? Number of tracks aside, every time I listen to Time I I'm discovering new things. Muddy is the last word I'd use to describe it.

6. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Hey, that's fair, but it's kind of also my point. Maybe if the arrangement and mix were better it wouldn't take you so long to discover these things.

Every time I listen to it (almost never) I just hear a mess of unnecessary fluff. It's not stuff that adds to the music, it's stuff that's not interesting anyway, that the songs would be better off without. Imo...

7. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems

As long as people keep providing Jari with an income while he continues to do (or not do) what he is doing nothing will change. He has no real reason to.

On a side note if Jari put as much effort into his music as some people put into defending him we could have had Time III by now!

The rehearsal they post are excellent btw, highly recommended, I regularly watch Sons of Winter and Stars and prefer that version of Time to the album version.

HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.
  8. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Not exactly demo-level, but you don't have to look far to find similar stuff -> take Brymir for example. AFAIK they made all their orchestrations themselves, including the vocalist and guitarist singing all the choir parts on the latest album. According to their post, it was 50-100 tracks of the two guys singing, depending on the song and part. And surprise surprise, no computer issues to be heard of.

Lorcan Ward likes this.
  9. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

^Byrmir are incredible. Like Wintersun and Dimmu Borgir had a baby

10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Not 3 years. Fourteeen years.

11. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Amazing band, as far as I know their vocalist Viktor is a sound engineer and does all sorts of stuff from tv-shows to metal.

How's that so. After 2006 they released two albums, and toured every common continent except South-America. They aren't half albums, 40 & 53 minutes are full albums. 3 years without releasing an album is also totally normal. After The Forest Seasons released began their most extensive touring cycle which lasted from spring 2017 to july 2019. It included Europe, New-Zealand & Australia, Japan and North-America. They also played at 70,000 Tons Of Metal 2020. Don't know about clients hanging. I have seen them five times live beginning from 2006.

12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've already explained how this is so. The album Time was promised in 2006, and only half of that content ever made it out.

13. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Wait, did he actually write all that shit? Like to the public? I wonder how many times he nutted on himself while doing it?
    So what you're saying is, having a fucking clue what you're actually doing produces results? Instead of pretending you know what you're doing? Weird, almost like that's the entire argument since the issues of "computer problems" arose.

Boris_VTR and works0fheart like this.
  14. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Long story short -> Jari should use the crowdfunding money to hire Viktor to produce their albums :lol:

15. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

https://www.sevenstring.org/threads...-time-ii-problems.276399/page-42#post-5167548

That's his post on Facebook from the band's profile, and his response to people calling him out are equally as ridiculous.

My post was just me trying to translate it to another medium to illustrate how out of touch Jari is :lol:

16. Metropolis

17. brector

brector SS.org Regular

The irony of you posting a Trump meme is mind-blowing

18. Metropolis

Just have fun with it.

Ataraxia2320 likes this.
  19. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems

I doubt even Jari is having fun with this.

TedEH likes this.
  20. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

The entirety of his responses remind me of a kid that gets caught in a lie, but instead of admitting error, just digs in deeper.