Wintersun's Groundhog's Day Thread

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
"wet all year"

Well that's a bit of an exaggeration :lol: I mean, the humidity is nowhere near what I've experienced in Australia for example. It rains a fair bit, sure, and particularly autumn is muddy af, but the rest of the year generally isn't bad at all. And when there's a proper winter (doesn't happen every year these days), the air can actually be dry af, sometimes to the point that it causes nosebleeds.

The worst part of living here really is the darkness. Now it's early autumn, and it already gets pitch black outside at around 8pm and before it starts to get lighter, the sun only comes up for 2-3 hours every day. And if it's overcast, you won't even notice it's been up at all. Also further up north the sun literally doesn't come up at all for a long time in the winter. And then of course the opposite happens in the summer, but that's not a huge problem since you can just cover the windows while you sleep.

Snow kinda saves the situation, as the whiteness makes everything much lighter, but because of climate change, we don't necessarily get snow every year. So in such cases, it's basically half a year of autumn with complete darkness for a month or two. It's really depressing, and hard to imagine for someone who hasn't experienced it first hand. I'm not a sun worshipper by any means and often like to keep the blinds shut and all that, but still, the prolonged lack of sunlight really messes with your head.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
.....And when there's a proper winter (doesn't happen every year these days), the air can actually be dry af, sometimes to the point that it causes nosebleeds...
Oh yeah I actually used to get that here in MTL.

I got tired of always having super dry sinuses and getting sick from it so I read up a bunch of stuff. A tip I found was to put a little bit of vaseline inside of your nostrils. People laugh at me for doing it, but I swear it works. I haven't had an issue since with dried up sinuses, and I haven't had a cold or flu or anything since I started doing that which was like...... 4 years ago? give or take.

Allergies in the spring and whatnot are a lot less of an issue for me doing that too

The worst part of living here really is the darkness. Now it's early autumn, and it already gets pitch black outside at around 8pm and before it starts to get lighter, the sun only comes up for 2-3 hours every day. And if it's overcast, you won't even notice it's been up at all. Also further up north the sun literally doesn't come up at all for a long time in the winter. And then of course the opposite happens in the summer, but that's not a huge problem since you can just cover the windows while you sleep.

Snow kinda saves the situation, as the whiteness makes everything much lighter, but because of climate change, we don't necessarily get snow every year. So in such cases, it's basically half a year of autumn with complete darkness for a month or two. It's really depressing, and hard to imagine for someone who hasn't experienced it first hand. I'm not a sun worshipper by any means and often like to keep the blinds shut and all that, but still, the prolonged lack of sunlight really messes with your head.

The lack of sun, I'd say I'm used to. Just because I've had to work in dark studio's most of my adult life, but it does get to me pretty often if I can't catch a break to go outside for lunch or something.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
The lack of sun, I'd say I'm used to. Just because I've had to work in dark studio's most of my adult life, but it does get to me pretty often if I can't catch a break to go outside for lunch or something.

Yeah, but it's a whole different thing when the sun just isn't there. You go outside hoping to energize a little, but it feels the same as being inside, just cold and moist :lol:
I don't recall living in Sweden ever being as dark and gloomy as here, even though I only live about 500km further up north now. I guess it gets exponentially darker the further up north you go or something...

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
In 2022 you have to imagine Wintersun's music from a written description. I love part 8-12 but it gets very bloated from 13 onwards but comes back with that epic Wintersun chorus at 17+18. This is Spinal Tap levels of comedy except it's a serious post from an actual band : /

This is the kind of post people make about their bedroom projects when they are miles away from releasing anything but want to share their excitement. It really doesn't help that I'm listening to Aether Realm right now either.

The Mirror

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Saying the song has 470 tracks when at most 57 of them play at the same time is exactly the same line of thought as saying that a traffic light doesn't neet 3 lights when on average only one is ever glowing at any point.

Also big chance that the drums alone take at least 15 of those tracks..

j3ps3

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Jari, being the musical pioneer he is, will soon release an album that you can listen to by just imagining it based on the information he gives you.

Sermo Lupi

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Can we just go back to discussing the weather? I feel like that was more entertaining.

Come to think of it, how do we know that list of numbers isn't Jari's weather forecast for next month? Band's already called Wintersun and the forecast cuts off at day 19 because the rest is unforeseeable. Guy's already been saying to expect sun and we get rain. Jari was a meteorologist all along.

Metropolis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure most "fans" are just following the Wintersun facebook for comedy relief at that point and no longer care about upcoming releases, so I'm not sure who he's trolling.

Could be whatever, people have weird intentions and reasons why they keep doing things.

Good morning Jari, how was your sauna this am?

First of all, my first or even second name is not Jari :lol: we finns usually enjoy sauna at least after 6pm, and morning sauna is considered a bit weird habit.

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Technically, that's what sheet music is, unburdened by trifle things such as a performer.
I really wouldn't put it past him to release sheet music for an album, accompanied by an announcement that the album won't be released quite yet, because he isn't happy with the drum sounds yet and needs more crowdfunding to upgrade his computer to handle processing all of the tracks simultaneously.

EDIT:
Obviously only extra generous patreons will get a copy of the sheet music.