Windows 10

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by 7stg, Oct 2, 2014.

1. asher

asher So Did We

All of this.

You can totally ignore the corner stuff. I almost never browse the Start menu on older versions of Windows, I hit the Windows key and type search.

Also, most of the options from the right side bar have a Windows key + [x] hotkey. IE Winkey + C opens the controls tab...

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Indeed. I haven't even noticed this 'ribbon' thing either. I'm liking Windows 8 fine in the week I've had it!

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

My biggest complaint about Windows 8.1 is the search feature. It doesn't seem to work as well as the Windows 7 version for me.

EDIT: I said "never", but that's a bit hyperbolic. It DOES work for most programs, but when it comes to searching files, it doesn't work as well.

4. The Q

The Q The Engineer

Likewise, I use Windows 8 & Server 2012 both at work and home. The rest of the company uses Windows 7, but for our branch I settled on Windows 8. None of my coworkers have expressed and complains about the OS when I asked them for an upgrade. It's time for another upgrade next week; it'll be interesting to see if anyone wants to downgrade.

5. ghostred7

ghostred7 Banned

I'm still willing to give 10 a chance...but will wait for retail version. I'm down my test drive now (swappable trays so i can do fresh installs) due to lending it to someone and won't try this preview on the main drive. A friend of mine has been a MS Developer for like 30 years. I'll let him do this tech preview for me.

As for 8:
    I'll give benefit of the doubt to maybe there were some early inconsistencies with the apps I used or maybe there were some memory leak things going on. It could be better after 1st patch run. In my environment, Win7 ran higher benchmarks than 8 for rendering, broadband speed tests, etc. I have similar results (at least on bandwidth tests) when going between Linux Mint & Win7.

I just didn't like it for a desktop workhorse. On initial release, it didn't perform as well in my environment than Win7 did. On the touch-screen tablets that are out....it's perfect and I would prefer that over any other incarnation of Windows for that. My dislike for it has NOTHING to do with the GUI really. I mean, I don't like it...but it's not a show-stopper. I always prefer performance over looks when it comes to OS. Hell, I still run blackbox for my linux machine if i need to max out performance (barely > console lol).

6. rectifryer

rectifryer Banned

Most stable version of windows I have had so far is windows 7 installed on a linux host as a virtual machine. That way, all the back end shit is easily monitored.

7. 7stg

7stg SS.org Regular

8. schecter58

schecter58 SS.org Regular

From what I have read 10 has potential to be what 8, 8.1 should of been.

9. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal

Microsoft should just use this as their marketing pitch: "Windows 10 is to Windows 8 what Windows 7 was to Windows Vista." :lol:

10. asher

asher So Did We

Between the way 8 was repped and the way the XB1 was repped, I think MS could use some turnover in their marketing department...

11. coffeeflush

coffeeflush Well-Known Member

Does anyone think windows OS's have backdoors installed for the NSA and other govt agencies ?

12. coffeeflush

coffeeflush Well-Known Member

Lot of the apps I used,

FL studio
    foobar2000
    hydrogen
    draft sight

They work terribly with win 8, the boot times are amazing compared to 7. The app performance is absolutely horrible.

13. Dominoes282

Dominoes282 Mixing Engineer

It's not impossible, but unlikely. You'd think people would pick up that activity when doing a wireshark scan, unless they figured out how to transmit data without using packets.

14. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Foobar is working perfectly for me. In fact, using it right now. :scratch:

15. asher

asher So Did We

16. 7stg

7stg SS.org Regular

Yes, at minimum they have been approached. Linus Torvalds who heads Linux has been approached but refused.

Edit, here is the video see 24:15

17. Dominoes282

Dominoes282 Mixing Engineer

18. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

I personally loved the way the folder system was designed in windows 8. One of the few things I really miss when I went back to 7 (that and windows+x menu). Ribbons don't bother me and in most applications only slow down people who got used to doing it the old way. For me it's just as fast, if not faster, to use a ribbon. In most applications IMO it is quite intuitive like modelling or video software. It allows the most used tools to be present on single tabs and for instance I'm not going to be texturing or animating while modelling so it nicely tucks those away until I want to use them. For word, excel, etc. once you get used to it there isn't any slow down for me in the slightest. In most applications, including the OS, I use shortcuts anyhow making the GUI irrelevant really.

I honestly blame the poor user count on this. Companies are profit driven so they simply didn't put as much energy into windows 8 leaving many 3rd party applications/ tools broken or not working. In that regard it was really unstable, but that isn't really Microsoft's fault either. Nvidia has dropped the ball for the past couple years when it comes to their power users. SLI has been a nightmare on 7 and 8 for me, especially multi-monitor and 3D. The amount of workarounds to get the drivers working well enough was ridiculous and towards the end I couldn't on 7 or 8 get 3D Surround to work in SLI anymore. Frustrated me so much I just upgraded to a single card setup (maybe that was their idea :lol:)

I switched back not because I didn't like it, but because of some incompatibility issues do to lower user count and 8 being somewhat new. Some of the software I use wasn't compatible with it yet, and then again with 8.1, and I got tired of being a beta tester for all of my software essentially. I personally dislike the GUI in 7 and hate aero.

Yeah, I like the ribbon as well. Even if some don't they are going to have to suck it up because almost every application utilizes some sort of ribbon. It is becoming standardized which is exactly why it was used in 8 in the first place. In 8 I loved the file folder ribbon. It contained system tools, settings, etc. that required a few more clicks to get to in 7. The task manager was just beautiful. I really miss 8.

Sadly I probably won't adopt 10 right away either though. I can't deal with 3rd party screw ups in my work environment and new OS's seem to come with a butt load of them.

My only complaint about 8.1 is how they changed the sidebar in the file folder. I liked 8 better and 7 best of all. When I accidentally downloaded 8.1 (thank you obnoxious pop up) I was so disappointed how much harder it was for me to navigate through my 6 hard drives and card readers. That may have been fixable though. Didn't get a chance to try since 8.1 was incompatible with some of the software I use at the time.

19. wat

wat SS.org Regular

On the new office computer with windows 8, i downloaded Classic Shell, which makes it like a customizable old-style start menu.

Works great.

20. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Stardock sells one for like $5 that is pretty slick as well.