Winding my own

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by tpl2000, Feb 11, 2012.

1. tpl2000

tpl2000 Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss.

So I came across (Found on the ground, rather) several hundred feet of approximately 22 gauge copper wire. While I would have to strip it all, it does have me thinking...

I want to know what it would take to start making my own pickups. I'm not asking for a full guide's worth of posts, but some good guidelines to follow and resources that I could use to create these pickups would be great.

Basic questions I have:
    Is DC output the only factor in how a pickup sounds? If not, what other factors are taken into account and how do they affect the sound?

Is the gauge of wire I'm using going to make a big difference? If so, what difference will it make?

What kind of time investment am I looking at for a single pickup, single coil or humbucker? (Not including set-up time)

If I'm just looking for the absolute clearest, honest tone, what's the best route to take?

Edit: By some rudimentary math, it would only take a couple hundred wraps to max capacity using this wire. (0.0254 inches thick, or 0.645mm thick.) Also, my ideas for testing these pickups mainly involves buying a cheap guitar and modding the shit out of it. Gutting out the entire back of the guitar behind the strings so I don't have to buy new ones every time I swap pups, and making a contact rig so that I don't have to solder them in every time.

2. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

By "found on the ground" do you mean "stole from a construction site"? :lol:

3. tpl2000

lol, nope. I found roughly 1600 feet of wire on two separate spools. In the grass on the side of the road.

4. tpl2000

(Bump)

5. tpl2000

Really? No one has an opinion on this? ._.

6. gs_waldemar

gs_waldemar SS.org Regular

Well, here you have some basics that you can build on. since its more of a trial-and-error thing you're planning, I wont bother with math, ok?

1. more windings, thicker gauge, longer cable will result in:
    high output, low self-resonance (sorry dont know the English term) more compression -> ballsy but muddy

2. less windings and wire thickness will make the tone more dynamic transparent, clean and quieter...

There are a couple of simple in-guitar-preamp construction kits on the internet. You can get the parts cheap and easy +-10$ and build a preamp to avoid the loudness problem!

If you're HONESTLY interested in a clearer Sound, and not just crazy about winding a pickup, you will get much better results if you just build an active preamp+impendance changer that avoids your system's and guitar cable's load!!! You will set the self resonance of the pickups A LOT higher and save all the trebles!! In fact, the pickup would be SO trebly, that you'd have to put a capacitor in front of it to simulate a bit of cable! Still, much more options!

If you want to do that, you can find many good instructions on the INternet

Have fun