Will soundproofing foam work for keeping sound OUT

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by BaylorPRSer, Oct 12, 2019 at 9:04 AM.

1. BaylorPRSer

BaylorPRSer SS.org Regular

I am trying to keep sound out of my room (there’s a really loud rooster 3.5 meters below my window, street noise, etc)

Would covering my window with sound proofing foam with cones facing the window from the inside make a big difference?

I have zero experience with this stuff. I may use it the traditional way and turn my room into a recording setup if I have any luck with this.

Im looking at picking up some off this site (no amazon where I live)

https://www.lazada.vn/catalog/?q=Soundproof&from=input&spm=a2o4n.search.top.1

2. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Soundproofing works both ways, it's not unidirectional. It's going to take much more than just treating a window. Not familiar with the stuff you want to use and trying to view it goes to an app install page so I can't check it out. But you'll likely need to do that whole side of the room. Or just "transplant" the rooster lol.

Rev.

3. BaylorPRSer

Thank you.

FYI, it looked similar enough to this stuff https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R9Z4R1H/?tag=sevenstringorg-20

4. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

That seems like a cheap version of Auralex tiles. They do *not* soundproof, they merely dampen high frequencies so you don't get that bright echo/slapback in your room. You would need real soundproofing materials and they are typically quite expensive. Perhaps someone else that has more experience soundproofing a room in their home can chime in.

Rev.

5. Aewrik

Aewrik SS.org Regular

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Just be careful with the materials you're looking to soundproof with. Many of the cheaper foams are incredibly flammable, as such I wouldn't use them in a residence.

7. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Sound proofing is about decoupling one room from another in order to trap vibrations to keep them from penetrating.

Sound absorption, or room treatment is about altering the characteristics of the way a room sounds.

Sound Proofing involves construction.

Sound absorption or room treatment is about application of components to an existing room or environment.

8. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Everything you said is 100% correct, but keep in mind the OP is looking to reduce street and rooster noise to a level that won't get picked up in recordings. I think he can likely accomplish that without have to construct a floating decoupled room :) Again, you're totally correct, just saying he can still likely accomplish his task without going that far. Definitely still gonna cost a decent amount.

Rev.

9. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Have you ever seen the E-sax Whisper Mute? It's like a soundproof case that goes round a saxophone and then the player uses headphones.

Anyway my point is one would probably fit a rooster.

10. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I say, why not just have chicken for dinner.
    Problem of hunger and sound are both resolved.
    I like my chickens dead & deep fried with some spices.

11. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Rent a bobcat

bobcat-rental.jpg

Old or new version, either will work

12. BaylorPRSer

Just to be clear, you’re suggesting insulation behind the windows? Im assuming the wall has insulation. I’m subletting from someone, so id have to ask to get more specifics.

13. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

Sound absorbing foam doesn't absorb much sound, and has insulation/blocking effectiveness of precisely zero. What you need to stop sound coming in is mass loaded vinyl, and pretty substantial coverage of it no less. For recording purposes, I would think seriously about if you can do something else (e.g. isolation cab) rather than trying to make the room soundproof.

14. BaylorPRSer

Right now the goal is to get the street noise to a level where it’s not annoying me personally.

I’m having to run a white noise generator all the time.

Recording may or may not come later depending on when I move next. For recording, the only thing I’d be doing in my room is vocals. Guitars will be direct with amp and cab sims and drums will be superior.

15. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

Throwing sound treatment on a window is not going to solve your problem.

The materials used to construct your living space like brick, mortar, insulation and drywall are already blocking out any sound coming in from the outside. The problem is your window and there's two things you can do to make it better, but never fully solve it.

1. Cheap option: Put pillows in your window.

2. Right option: Replace your window with something more high quality that will block sound and ensure that everything is sealed up properly.

16. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Good advice, a double paned storm window usually does quite well to also reduce outside noise.

Rev.

17. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

...to say nothing of what it'll do for your heating and cooling bills.

+1 on making sure anything you put on your walls is fire-retardant.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019 at 1:05 PM