Will leaving my 7 string in a drop tuning damage the guitar?

Deadcoma

SLLLAAAAYYYYYEEERRRR
Reaction score
There have probably been a million threads on this before, but i'm currently learning Scourge of Iron by Cannibal Corpse, which is in Ab standard on my 7 string (I know Pat uses his 6 string) I use 11-54 gauge strings which is comfortable in this tuning, on a guitar that has a 25.5 scale neck. Just wondering if leaving my guitar in this tuning overnight or a bit longer would damage my neck. Thanks for any advice or help. :hbang:

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Depending on what tuning you're coming from, you may notice the neck having some backbow in the morning. Nothing to worry about though, it'll go right back to normal once you leave it in the original tuning for a few hours and/or make some slight adjustment of the truss rod.

Also, a 54 in Ab??? :eek: that's gotta be less than 10lbs of tension!

Cbutler

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
you guys are crazy about high tension. i like slightly low tension for the vibrato and such.

11-58 for drop g at the moment, but its a little tight at 27"

WhoThenNow7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
you guys are crazy about high tension. i like slightly low tension for the vibrato and such.

11-58 for drop g at the moment, but its a little tight at 27"

And I'm also using a 70 for a guitar tuned to g#.

Slightly low tension... that thing has got to be flopping and buzzing all over the place! But when it all comes down to it, if it feels right to the player then I cannot judge.

OP: With that said, just keep messing around with different gauges until you find the one that's right for you. If you like the lighter route, then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, as well as if you like the heavier side of things.

CTID

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
11-62 in Drop G and it's honestly a bit too tight. You guys are psychopaths

Edit: On a 6-string 25.5", too.

n4t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
no. should I capitalize it? NO!

(anyone with a basic grasp on physics should know better.)

ShawnFjellstad

hates womanizers.
Reaction score
11-62 in Drop G and it's honestly a bit too tight. You guys are psychopaths

Edit: On a 6-string 25.5", too.

I'm currently using .13-.80s on a 25.5" six string for drop G. I don't know how I'd get on with any less tension than that. You're a psychopath for liking such floppy nonsense. :lol:

JordanStGodard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I only tune (and string) my baritone ESP E-II NT-7b to drop G with 10-46 + 68 on top. I've never had any problems.

HTH.

Cbutler

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
And I'm also using a 70 for a guitar tuned to g#.

Slightly low tension... that thing has got to be flopping and buzzing all over the place! But when it all comes down to it, if it feels right to the player then I cannot judge.

thats pretty intense. different strokes. but yeah, none of the above.. plays great thanks to the 27" :hbang: