Will ESP and ESP/LTD guitars get SS frets next year???

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Fierce_Swe, Apr 23, 2019.

1. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Not really a fair comparison.

Schecter isn't exactly knocking it out of the park, as the guy who's on his fourth KM due to quality issues. Not that the non-MIJ Ibanez with stainless frets are any better really.

As for Kiesel, they sell direct, so there is no distributor or retailer mark-up. Having worked the wholesale side, you're paying an additional 25% to 40% to support the additional tiers in the supply chain. Remember when Carvin/Kiesel went through dealers internationally? Even with a favorable Euro the guitars were nearly twice the price.

2. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Also for Kiesel, with their pricing increases, the cost has essentially been baked-in.

technomancer likes this.
  3. Fierce_Swe

Fierce_Swe SS.org Regular

Well, how much differs durability between regular frets of decent quality?
    I wouldn´t mind pay some extra money for SS frets.

4. MaxOfMetal

Stainless steel are significantly harder than nickel.

That said, it really depends on the player (how hard you press, how much you play, what you play) and strings used (nickel vs stainless steel) as far as longevity of nickel frets.

5. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

They last A LOT longer. So does EVO fretwire
    Contrary to what some optimists believe, SS does actually wear but it takes so long to do so that it's barely an issue for most.

6. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

Maybe I'm weird but I prefer to get nickel frets, wear them out a bit and then get to actually choose the SS wire size I want later.
    The fretwire that comes on just about most SS equipped guitars is shorter in height than what I like, so it would feel like a waste having to immediately pull out the SS wire compared to wearing out some nickel first

I like Jescar 58118 sized wire, which I'm pretty certain is NOT what comes on the majority of SS equipped production guitars.
    There's also the piece of mind knowing if I take it to the luthier/builder I go too, it will be done 100% right because he can take the time to make it so, whereas on production guitars there will be the occasional hit and miss on fretwork quality.

On the flip side, I understand that most probably aren't as picky about fret height and what not

7. setsuna7

setsuna7 Poor Gearwhore

I think ESP will look to their top tier endorsers to even remotely giving SS updates to their existing lines; until Papa Het, KH or Stef want them for their respective guitars/sigs. Just look at Stef's decision for that Purple SC607, if @zimbloth didn't order it, then ESP accidentally sent it to Stef, we would only get the boring ass SC607 in gloss black(like, forever). So hopefully someone will (mistakenly, again) send a guitar with SS frets to Stef and hopes he likes it that much, that it'll be put n the next spec sheet, and then it'll trickle down to production models for us mere mortals. or maybe the guitar that got sent to Stef does comes with SS, and Stef didn't like it anyway....

my two cents anyway.

icipher likes this.
  8. Fierce_Swe

Fierce_Swe SS.org Regular

Was I wonder was how much differs durability between nickel frets. For example, does the nickel frets of an E-II last longer than nickel frets on a I banez Prestige? Same player, same amount of playing time, same pressure etc.

9. MaxOfMetal

It tends to vary considerably, even between guitars from the same brands.

Depends on who the particular supplier is and how consistent their own production is.

10. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Stainless Steel frets are not that much more expensive, that's a fact. But I'm also reading that people here aren't willing to eat an upcharge of $100 to get them? If the fret material is such a big deal to you then pay up when it's a reasonable option like a $100 charge, the shit eats through tools which cost money and take longer to work on and crown.

Also I can't emphasize enough how small this corner of the market is in the guitar pie, but the only reason we "influence" releases is because certain ideas get traction on larger platforms like Facebook and Instagram so some things trickle down to the yearly releases that might seem like it was caused by us. But trust me, we did absolutely nothing :lol:

Guys, if you have a guitar with nickel frets, you shouldn't be wearing through them at any unreasonable rate. I've told this to countless people before, restring your guitar when they start to slightly rust and clean your strings with a rag everytime you finish playing. Your frets are wearing down because you're more than likely bending/fretting a rusting string constantly on your frets. If you restring every month or two you'll always have nice strings to work with and you won't need a level on your frets at least until 3 - 4 years down the drain.

11. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

I’ve done fret level and crown on 20 year old guitars with original frets in less than a couple hours. It’s just not really an issue for me. The idea that nickel frets are such a hinge point remains baffling. Especially considering that the guitar ownership turnaround with this particular crowd is exceptionally high.

12. StrmRidr

StrmRidr Hide your Jacksons

All the guys on here crying for SS frets are the same guys that will flip the guitar 5 months after having it. My first guitar that I bought 16 years ago and played for thousands of hours isn't even close to a refret.

13. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Same.

I have multiple guitars with stainless fret and multiple without. I don't notice a difference.

14. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I noticed clear fret wear on my Schecter but not near as much on my Ibbys since they have a stronger material. The main pro for me is being able to pick up any of my guitars and they feel the same as day 1, no oxidation or roughness and zero wear. I just love that they never need any maintenance. I've owned guitars that the frets were constantly becoming rough and scratchy even with regular polishing.

I'm not in favour of SS on guitars that won't get the attention they need. If they aren't polished properly they will wear your strings and be costly to get levelled by a standard guitar tech.

Jonathan20022 likes this.
  15. Ikke

Ikke A Dream Cartographer

The “SS Frets or Bust” mentality doesn’t make any sense to me.

If world-touring superstars like James Hetfield, Kirk Hammett, and Stephen Carpenter don’t need them, why does the average, non-superstar, non-world-touring, forum dweller, who will probably sell the guitar long before it’s even close to its expiration date, need SS frets?

I’m sure y’all will be okke without them.

16. stevexc

stevexc Contributor

To play devil's advocate: James Hetfield doesn't need to save up a couple hundred bucks and wait a few weeks to get his frets recrowned at the local GC if/when they get worn. The extra longevity for him is a non-issue.

That said, SS seems like an unnecessary luxury.

icipher and Ikke like this.
  17. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Also James Hetfield and Kirk Hammett get new guitars ever 2 hours. :lol:

setsuna7, stevexc and Ikke like this.
  18. Ikke

Ikke A Dream Cartographer

I get your point, but it still seems silly. I highly doubt anyone here is taking their brand new guitars to the limit of needing SS frets.

If you just want SS frets cause it’s the hot new thing, then just say that. But, if people basing whether or not to buy a low end guitar on the SS fret criteria. Acting as if this is an actual need seems disingenuous.

A high end guitar makes more sense because it’s more likely you’d be keeping it.

AkiraSpectrum and stevexc like this.
  19. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Also I'm a bit apprehensive about getting SS frets on a budget guitar because if the stock fret job sucks, then I get the feeling a fret leveling wouldn't be as easy as it would be with nickel frets. :ugh:

It's one of the things that made me leery about those $400 SS-loaded guitars Agile released last year.

20. Soya

Soya Poor person

The job is similar, just takes longer. Only difference for me was getting a diamond crown file to make it easier. Sandpaper and polishing rubbers etc work just the same.