Will a Regius 6 with BKP's sell better?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by LegacyOfOddGod, Mar 20, 2019.

Would BKP's help a sell?

1. No, it probably doesn't make a big difference.

24 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Yes, it probably would.

18 vote(s)
    42.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. LegacyOfOddGod

LegacyOfOddGod SS.org Regular

Hey guys! I'm trying to sell a Regius 6 Gothic Custom shop (mahogany wings) that's loaded with Joe Barden TwoTone pickups and would appreciate if you gave me your 2 cents on this subject.

I upgraded to the Joe Barden TwoTone pickups a couple of years ago and I really like them. I had a CrunchLab & Liquifire set and while they sounded OK, I felt they were a bit generic. The Bardens give a ton of versatility as you're really getting two pickups in one (the single coil sound is the same as a single coil model Barden sells) and are articulate as hell, very well balanced with heaps of tone, but at the same time all the clarity make them sort of unforgiving to messy playing. Others swear by these pups but some people have described them as hifi, which is justifiable i guess. In short they tend to divide people.

I had a buyer for the guitar that was really into the guitar itself and ready to buy, but was put off by these pickups after he tried the guitar. I might have offered the guitar with the old set, but the sad thing is that they were stolen when our rehearsal room was broken into.

I realize that the Barden's are not that well known within the metal community so I'm wondering if the guitar might sell better if it had a set of BKP's? A set costs pretty much the same new.

I might have a chance to move these pickups to my band's other guitarist and replace them with a set of BKP brute force's. I might even consider some of the more expensive models if I convinced it would help move this guitar.

2. cip 123

cip 123 Vendor

Pretty much yes. People like big well known names. It means even if they don't like them they can still punt them fairly easily.

3. LegacyOfOddGod

Thanks for your input!

4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Just be sure not to spend more than you’ll make or are comfortable losing on it. IE, a set is $300 or so US new, so unless I was confident I could add $200 or so in value (netting a “loss” of $100 just to move the instrument) I wouldn’t bother.

5. LegacyOfOddGod

Thanks for your input! Totally get your point. Wouldn't be losing that much money in my case, more the hassle of it all.

6. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Yeah, imo it’d be easier to sell than with something a lot of people aren’t familiar with, but wouldn’t get you much, if any, more cash.

7. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

mods don't add (resale) value but if I mean I guess it would be easier to move

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  8. LegacyOfOddGod

Thanks for your 2 cents! Yes I agree, didn't think it would get me more money.

9. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

For sure. Such a shame as this could be the opportunity to upgrade to something wholly better like WCRs. Or you could just say like, "for sale, whatever pickups you want I'll put in" -- no idea if that works but it'd be a plus for me. That's why I'm always tempted by like Axe Palace or something where the dealer's going to swap in a nicer pickup for low cost.

10. LegacyOfOddGod

Thanks for chiming in! I was thinking of this and would probably do it but then I'm afraid that I go through the hassle of changing the pickups and the buyer pulls out of the sell. I think that it it would require a good enough contact with the buyer to know that s/he's serious about the buy and won't bail out. I think I will consider it. Because that would definately be appealing to potential buyers like you pointed out.

11. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

Like the other guys have said, I don't think they'll add value, but they should help it move.

In my experience, when selling a guitar, whether new or used, it's all about appealing to "the demographic" and going for the matching things. The internet says... Mayones guitars are "djent" guitars so they need "djent" pickups... BKPs are "djent" pickups therefore Mayones need BKPs...

it's not quite that limited, but when you're trying to make a quick sale, having everything "on spec" really helps.

12. 777timesgod

777timesgod Officially the unofficial Forum Censor

If the guitar is a really cheap one and you put a pair of used active EMGs, you would be surprised at the price bump that you can get.
    +1 for the BKP, I have not compared the Bardens with them but the BKP name is more known. That alone will help.

13. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Wow haven’t heard the name wcr in forever. Lots of good pickups are still kind of under the radar even though they’ve been building for years.

14. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Godwoods and ironmans and icebuckers! I haven't had any of them in my guitars for years, have bkps in like 3-4, but hands-down the WCRs were always noticeably better to my ears.

15. LegacyOfOddGod

Oh no! Stop please sir! :wag: Now I'm getting GAS for my other guitars.

16. LegacyOfOddGod

Just because I've noticed pics are appreciated. Here's the elephant in the room:

[​IMG]

Masoo2 and marday like this.
  17. LegacyOfOddGod

This was my fear going into this sell...
    So if I were to follow this line of reasoning Juggernaut's (I can get them a bit cheaper) would probably be my best bet, right?

18. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

If I'm buying a guitar where I really like the playability of the instrument but am not crazy about the pickups, I'll work something out. I mean, sell what's in there and buy what you want, right?

It's a high-end guitar, so the hope would be that a serious buyer would have that sense- unless they're of the "if I'm paying $$$$ I shouldn't have to touch a thing" persuasion. But then you have to chase other people's preferences. You could drop money on BKP- though I'd argue if that's the selling point over the guitar itself I doubt if they are a serious buyer- and find that you spent money on pickups that the prospective buyer might not like, either.

19. GXPO

GXPO SS.org Regular

Just take a blurry photo and list them as Blackhawks. Glad I could help. (cwl)

ATTENTION: This is an attempt at humour

Discoqueen likes this.
  20. GXPO

GXPO SS.org Regular