Why the end of the $60 video game is near

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Faine, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Faine

Faine Playing guitar.

2. Handbanana

Handbanana SS.org Regular

Steam....I never have to worry about this anyways haha

3. The Uncreator

The Uncreator Control The Sun

$40 Brand new game.

Easily reasonable, the price of a decent dinner for two somewhere, which people do often.

$65 is too much. They could probably do $30 and make a profit for high selling games.

4. BlackMesa

BlackMesa the G-Man's Bitch

This is one of the main reasons I've stayed away from consoles and stuck to pcs for gaming. Every new game for console $60 or more. I've paid $60 for 2 games on pc. The HalfLife2 Orange Box and BF3. HL2 OB was well worth it. 4 games in one. But BF3 was not worth that all. Buggy crap. I really hope the prices come down. The only game I would pick up for $60 again will be the next HL title.

5. Church2224

Church2224 Guitar Whore

:agreed:

I can pay 40 bucks easy for a brand new game. To me that is not too bad. But 60? Damn.

6. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

After not buying any video games for years I was a little bit in awe when I saw how much the prices had increased when my brother and I went to the store to pick up Skyrim. I wouldn't have bought it. :lol:

7. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

I don't mind the prices, but I haven't had a console since my N64 and I only buy an average of ~1 PC game per year. I don't get bored quickly with games.

8. highlordmugfug

highlordmugfug themuthaphukkindeath

PC games are a whole different animal from console games though (usually anyway). I don't know many console gamers, who don't just love getting screamed at by 12 year olds in online play, that could stick to one game a year.

9. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Considering I remember clearly having to save my $2.50 per week allowance to buy Metroid at the price of $42.00 on the NES in the late 1980's, and then spending close to $70 on Street Fighter II for SNES in the early 1990's, I don't see the prices today as being all that unreasonable, in comparison.

Not that I'll complain if they go down. ;)

10. MrGignac

MrGignac Sonderkommando

I used to love the sega channel back in the day. 120 games a month for $29 bucks a month. totally ahead of its time

11. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

Regardless of the fact that I only buy Forza (and some other motorsports games sometimes), Rockstar games and Halo... I've never had much of an issue with the prices.

They're high, yes. I'm all for lowering them.

But... I could blow $60 really, really quick doing just about anything else as much fun as a good video game. The game lasts just a liiiiittle longer than most of these things though. That's how I look at it.

12. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

Us Aussies pay $100-110 for new releases depending on the game, I remember when CoD MW1 Came out it was $127 at one store.. not even deluxe or collectors edition.

13. Baelzebeard

Baelzebeard Grinder of strings

I only buy used games, I simply have a hard time justifying, (and hiding from my wife) 60 bucks for a video game. Plus, if the games turns out to be shitty, you just wasted 60 fucking dollars.:wallbash:

There are so many games available that I don't mind not having the newest thing. I'm currently playing through Bioshock 2, which I paid a whopping 12 bucks for.

14. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

My thoughts exactly. I remember most SNES games in the 90's costing $70. By comparison, paying $60 for Skyrim is not a bad deal at all.

15. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

Comparing the cost of a video game (many, many hours of entertainment) to a Movie (typically 90 minutes) is silly.

You are getting more value for that $60 than a movie. Books are a far better example but it costs less to produce a book than a video game.

I thought this was going to be about DLC.

16. Daiephir

Daiephir likes peanut butter

Don't you read some reviews before buying a game?

17. Marv Attaxx

Marv Attaxx SS.org Regular

I hate the comparison of 60$ Coregames and 1$ Casualgames. All those experts claiming that coregames will die out and will be replaced by those shitty mobile phone games annoy me.
    Just because I like to play Angry Birds during the trainride every morning doesn't mean I'll stop playing high quality games with a story and a learning curve.
    If a game manages to take me into another world and keep me there for at least 10 hours, I don't mind paying 60 bucks.

18. Deadnightshade

Deadnightshade U gonna eat that?

I used to play PS1 and PS2 back in the day,but now I'm stuck for a long time with Valve releases.

The pricier game I've purchased since then is Portal 2 on pre-order,which went for around 35$ (now the price is down and occasionally it drops to 10-15 bucks).

The article refers to "Freemium" games.The best example of a "Freemium" game is Team Fortress 2.The game went free to play at late summer (if i remember correctly) ,and since then the number of players have skyrocketed .All the core items can be found or crafted in the game (even hats ) ,but that doesn't mean that people won't buy hats.If i remember correctly from an article I read,Valve says that around 30% of the new players have a chance of buying something from the in-game store.

19. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

I remember when PC games were 80-90$ new. Each, and expansion packs were 70. The prices are still cheaper now than they were. Console games were also 80-100$ each.

Quit whining :lol:

As far as the article goes, a game makes all its money off the shelf, a DVD/movie makes a lot of its money in the theatre. That alone is a big enough difference to justify the price. 60$ really isn't much either way, especially considering the man hours that go into it. Employees need to be paid after all. Comparing something like angry birds to a full game is rather silly, given the scope of work difference is drastic.

20. Marv Attaxx

Marv Attaxx SS.org Regular

^This
    Creating hq games these days is expensive as fuck, too.
    GTA4 was 100 million.
    GT5 80 million.
    Halo 3 55.
    And I don't wanna know how expensive the production of Uncharted and GOW3 was lol

Sure, 60 bucks is quite a lot of cash but if it's too expensive, just wait a month :yesway:

"It's not just Facebook and smartphones that threaten to steal that audience."= WTF?
    I don't understand how anyone can compare console/pc games with stuff like farmville...