Why don't we start supporting each other's work...

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Thaeon, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

I'mma be real, I've been avoiding the thread because I have very little money to burn. I feel bad for not compensating artists I like financially, (I have given a few folks on this board money in the past, however) and I honestly hate pushing myself out there. I usually just release stuff to youtube and never talk about it. (mostly k-pop girl group covers cuz I'm a loser.) I also know my musical taste doesn't line up with pretty much anyone on this forum. lol

Did finally poke my head in here and gave everything a listen. I did find this particularly entertaining:

I liked this too:

"The Devil Inside" gives me Circus of Dead Squirrels/Manson/NIN vibes and it's definitely something I can vibe with pretty hard. Not a huge fan of the video, but it's not bad either. I love the music, however, which is the most important part. (and lord knows I don't make any real videos, so super fucking props for even recording what is ultimately a professional quality video, imo.)

Not sure what vibes "Compromise Me" gave me, but I really like it. Which has the most to do with the really cool rhythm guitar work. I really hate overly lead-driven music and love rhythm driven music... Things like early Korn are my jam all day every day... Super groovy and cool, not super technical. The female vocals are also a big selling point. Not sure why, but I just dig the juxtaposition of sorta-metal/hard rock distorted down tuned guitars with pleasant, albeit still pretty powerful, vocals. (which is a huge reason I miss Destiny Potato so damn much.) Female vocals are always a draw for me in heavy music, especially when they're less screamy. eg: I love Jinjer as a band, but I love the contrast of something like Destiny Potato more.

Subbed to both on YouTube.

And in light of not being an outright puss, here are my links:
    https://five-ten.bandcamp.com/album/broken-redux

It's pay what you want so if you like it and don't want to spend cash, I just like other people listening to my stuff so that's cool too. Also, you can check an older version of that same album on the artist page. The original release was recorded over years, and each track utilized different samples and mixing/mastering techniques so it's much less uniform. Also went by a different band name then vs now. As an aside @Chokey Chicken and @Five Ten also helped with those songs/recordings. Just for credit's sake, and because I love them both.

Not sure how to link my covers playlist, but this is part of it... Can check my channel if you wanna hear some cringy kpop covers, as well as a few other things. (Just uploaded a cover of the Plant Island song from "My Singing Monsters" recently. Super cheesy, but neat song.)

I have an originals playlist if you care to look, but they're mostly meh and/or edm, so instead I'll post two of my favorite originals from youtube:

and my personal favorite, which is also on bandcamp for DL if you like it. This one is based lyrically on the character Uncle Sweetshare from the elder scrolls morrowind expansion, "Bloodmoon." Probably my most liked/listened to by others original song too:

Wouldn't mind feedback, but I don't expect it. Hope somebody at least enjoys some of it.

As an aside, I highly recommend people watch Kung Fury if they haven't already, which is where "True survivor" is from... Originally sung by the good ol' David Hasslehoff. The short film is beyond silly, and highly entertaining.

tl;dr I'm sorry I can't give people money, but I like a lot of what was posted and it definitely deserves more attention. I feel bad asking people to listen to me, when I can't even compensate them for THEIR time and effort spent.

2. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

I subbed everyone that’s posted. Not necessarily because I’m super into it, but because I believe in networking. The relationships you build with musicians are sometimes more important than their work being specifically you’re style. I’m really Post Rock. Most people here won’t be that interested in it. But that’s not the point. You might know someone else who is. I toss new stuff to people who might like it all the time. Even when I don’t like it. There’s no such thing as bad music. Except Nickelback. Nickelback is bad music.

DiezelMonster likes this.
  3. Thaeon

Not asking for anyone's money. That's not the point I'm necessarily making. Just attempting to extend my band's network beyond the city we started in. By doing that, and gaining some sort of critical mass feeding off of each other's audiences, maybe we can all get a little better name recognition. That, and I just like hearing new stuff.

Señor Voorhees likes this.
  4. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

Subbed

5. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

Subscribed and liked. But my favorite was Fortify bacuase it has lots of potential. Whoever is singing on True Survivor is amazing.

I will get to the other posters soon. I'm a teacher and remote teaching is driving me nuts.

6. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

What's so bad about Nickelback?

Just kidding... yeah they're bad.

Thaeon likes this.
  7. Thaeon

:lol:

8. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

I nicked the vocal track from a different cover. He uploaded the vocal-only track to HIS youtube, which is actually another good channel to follow.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHDwn9MV_x0aQOBOkMjKZvQ

9. FretsOnFyre

FretsOnFyre SSO's sociopath

Finally got a chance to sit down and give this thread a proper listen! I can't quote/reply to this many people unfortunately but I'll tag folks as I go.

@Thaeon I listened to the first couple tracks off your live set here, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm weirdly pretty strongly influenced by post rock, despite not listening to very much of it for fun, and I really enjoyed what you were doing - particularly the Ballad of P. Rhodes. Lots of dynamic range across the set and I'm looking forward to revisiting and listening to the whole thing! Any plans for some studio recordings in the future?

@bostjan Listened through War of Worlds and I'm a big fan. A lot of times, when I hear music that's very complex in terms of time signature/tempo changes, I feel it loses a cohesive "feel" to it, but I felt this was super cohesive. I'm of the opinion that instrumental music in particular should tell a story and you nailed that!

@Triple7 Checked out End-World and I really like the vibes you have going on with the synth. I'm a sucker for the Phrygian dominant feel you have - that's a tonality I've always wanted to work into my music and never really pulled off. Good stuff!

@littlebadboy Like this quite a lot as well, especially your use of synths - it's so easy for that to get overwhelming but it's a really balanced track where everything holds my interest just enough, instead of one element drowning everything out. I also think what you're doing with the gear demos is really clever and makes a lot of sense - definitely feels like the direction YouTube's been going for a couple years!

@RoRo56 Man, I really dig this. I'm getting a modern Alter Bridge-y feel from it, especially that opening riff with the harmony. Really good stuff, I'll be following.

@Aewrik Checked out all 3 clips on your channel, and I really like what you've got going on! Can't wait to see some full tracks soon.

@DrakkarTyrannis This isn't my usual type of music, but I again really like that there's a consistent atmosphere/almost a story being told here. (Disclaimer that I don't tend to listen much to lyrics, so I'm referring mostly to the instrumentals here) The music video is also pretty evocative of that story, and I feel like the whole thing meshes really well. So while it's not traditionally my cup of tea I really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to seeing more!

@Rotatous I'm not sure exactly what this reminds me of instrumentally, but to me there's a very interesting nostalgic/bittersweet feeling here - not something I traditionally find with harsh vocals, but you nailed a very interesting/fresh vibe here! Really enjoyed this, I'll be checking out the full album later.

@Señor Voorhees Fortify grooves HARD. That pick scrape at 0:53 feels very Gojira-esque to me, I'm into it.

Great stuff all around, I've subbed to everyone and I'll be coming back to check out album links when I have a little more time! Finally, I'll leave a few of my own links: I have an album out on the 17th of this month, so here's some of the preview material from that.

Quick album teaser:

Demoing some new gear with a song from the album:

Rotatous, Triple7, bostjan and 2 others like this.
  10. Thaeon

We were actually due to hit the studio mid April. :lol:

I've got an Oni inbound, and the other guitar player has a Baritone 6 that he just built. So there will most likely be some new stuff by the time we're able to get around to recording. We were planning on an EP. It'll probably be a full album now. There's a story behind the Ballad of P. Rhodes. Its pretty dark, though I'll tell it if anyone is interested.

FretsOnFyre and bostjan like this.
  11. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis WWSD?

Ya know what this thread has shown? That there are people around here who make great music. People should get into them now before they get bigger. All the Olas, Bulbs, etc originated from forums, like this one. They didn't suddenly "get good", it's just they got bigger and got a bigger fan base.

Don't wait for the guys in this thread to blow up before liking them, cease the chance now.

12. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Wow! Thanks a lot- I appreciate how much time it takes to really listen in detail to that much material!

Honestly, it's not every time that I get a chance to check out the music from people on the forum, but 99 times out of 100, I'm really impressed. :yesway:

FretsOnFyre and Thaeon like this.
  13. Thaeon

I completely agree here. There’s great stuff in this thread. Music worth listening to. The work to build a fan base just needs to be done.

Yup. That was a deep listen and a promise to listen more. That’s not just openness. It’s mutual respect for the craft. Which I appreciate.

I’m also generally impressed when I hear the stuff people put together here.

FretsOnFyre likes this.
  14. FretsOnFyre

FretsOnFyre SSO's sociopath

For what it's worth, I just make music for fun -- and even with no ambitions of "making it", I know how much it means to me to have someone REALLY listen. This thread was a really good reminder that I can make someone's day by doing that for them, so it's my privilege to be able to do that! Very appreciative of the strong mutual support in here.

I'm pretty interested in hearing, if you're up for sharing - as much as you're comfortable with.

15. Thaeon

I used to work with a guy. We were all kinda creeped out by him. He was dating this girl, then they broke up. She ended up pregnant. Another dude’s kid, but this guy was paranoid. So he bought the stuff to make ricin, and attempted to get someone off of craigslist to randomly deliver a ricin pizza to her at her parents house all so he wouldn’t have to be a dad. Craigslist person reported him. His house got raided. His entire block cut off from the world and evacuated for three days until hazmat thought it was safe again. He’s now in prison for like 28 years or something.

Had a western sounding ballad and most of those are named after shitty people. So I named it after him.

p0ke, FretsOnFyre and Aewrik like this.
  16. Aewrik

Aewrik SS.org Regular

I think I subscribed to everyone. I think all of it was great, doesn't have to be a full production to sound good.

I think that was the point of my exercise... I'm not Devin Townsend and can't push out a new song every day; I don't have the time or skill right now. The alternative is doing what I've been doing the last 10 years, which is pick up the guitar for about a week, try to write something and get stressed out and put it away when nothing else gets done in the house. This way I should be able to practice and create indefinitely, and when I'm more proficient maybe I can make a song per week. I could definitely re-record some old songs, but it'll take a while before my playing is tight enough.

Thaeon likes this.
  17. nsimonsen

nsimonsen SS.org Regular

So cool to see such a wide array of talent from the forum.
    Here's a track from my band's most recent release.

p0ke, littlebadboy, Thaeon and 2 others like this.
  18. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Some of my stuff:

Some band stuff:

p0ke, Karg and DrakkarTyrannis like this.
  19. Daniel_91au

Daniel_91au SS.org Regular

This is a great idea, I am in the middle of writing so I have nothing to share but I will work my way through the posts here and like/subscribe

Thaeon likes this.
  20. Daniel_91au

Daniel_91au SS.org Regular