Why don't Les Pauls usually have 24 frets or floyd roses?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by olsonuf, Aug 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murmel

Murmel SS.org Regular

It's also super easy to mod Fenders, especially strats. So you can make it sound pretty much however you want. Finding replacement bodies and necks isn't hard either, and usually not very expensive.

2. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

Quiet strat-boy:squint:

We don't want no commie guitars here...

They are easy to mod though:lol:

3. Murmel

Murmel SS.org Regular

Once you go strat you never go back.

I used to hate them, now I can't play anything else :lol:

4. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

A strat is on my to-get list:yesway:

5. DslDwg

DslDwg SS.org Regular

I should have specified I wanted that in a double cutaway. :lol:

Just trying to make the point that each guitar manufacturer has it's go to products. It's what buyers expect from them and if they are successful why go too far out of their comfort zone because a handful of guys on a forum want something different.

I've seen Sterling Ball do it a couple of times on the EBMM forum. A group of guys in a thread will be saying how they want this option or that option that is not currently in a the catalog. He will explain how expensive it is to change his manufacturing process but that if people really want it that he will do it. So then he'll challenge that if 25 guys commit or 50 guys or whatever that he will build what they are asking for. The end result is he usually gets 2 definates and 3 maybes instead of the 50 that were all saying how they would buy one in a second if it were available.

Just for fun go to the Gibson Forum and tell them that Gibson President has decided all Les Pauls from now on will be bolt-ons made from Basswood with Floyds and 24 fret necks with a 25.5" scale. Gibson would probably get burned to the ground by an angry mob the next day.

6. Murmel

Murmel SS.org Regular

Gibson should so fucking pull this as an April Fool's next year. I would piss my pants laughing :lol:

7. Ryan-ZenGtr-

Ryan-ZenGtr- SS.org Regular

Why 22 frets?
    With 22 frets, the neck pickup captures the vibrations at the octave, leading to a subjective benefit in tone.

Why tune-o-matic?
    Floyds, obviously a later innovation than the Les Paul, require removal of mass from the body of the guitar, subjectively compromising tone. Also, the 14 degree back angle of the headstock would have to be considered when installing the locking nut, to maintain string break angle.

I have a 24 fret handmade custom Les Paul, made by an English luthier and a Gibson Les Paul Deluxe (mini-humbuckers) from the early 70's. Very physical instruments with a good sound for low gain styles. To modify them for proper music would ruin their value. :noplease:

Also, the headstocks come off pretty easily, due to the back angle of the headstock, so they require serious strap locks and consideration during performances and transportation.

8. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

If you look in the Gallery at the Warmoth site, someone also made a Baritone LP with a Floyd. It's a 28 5/8" scale with 24 frets. No worry about neck dive there, the body, even chambered is heavy enough to compensate. Just saying, thought someone might be interested.

I think the EC-1000FR is probably the most practical commercial offering at this time.

9. MetalBuddah

MetalBuddah 0000 00 0 0 00 000

Gibson just has a reputation of making a very solid guitar that works well across the board. Sure, Les Pauls may not have all the features that more "modern" guitar have...but you still see so many "modern" artists using them because the guitars have an almost legendary reputation in the history of the production guitar world and the guitars just do their job well. At least Gibson has recently been trying a bunch of new things and also new minor upgrades like neck profile, coil taps, etc. Who knows, maybe one of their floyd models will sell very well and then they will realize that there is a market that they have yet to tap.

Why fix it if it ain't broken?

Also...BucketheadRules, those sketches are awesome. I would love to see that from Gibson one day.

10. Zombie13

Zombie13 XIII

I would not mind having an actual Gibson Les Paul with 24 frets, maple fretboard, non-weight relieved body, 25.5" scale, Tune-o-matic with strings through body and white finish with matching headstock.

I've never seen Gibson do that at once.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.