Why does the truss rod stick out and people act like it's NBD?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by vilk, Dec 17, 2019.

1. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Sometimes I see guitars for sale used that have the truss rod sticking out the top of the neck. What's up with that? They don't seem to list it as a defect or talk about it in the ads, makes me feel like it's on purpose. Is this really ok? Is it reversible? Anyone have a guitar with the truss rod poking out?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Like, you can visibly see the rod, or do you just mean the adjustment nut?

Have a pic for reference?

3. Randy

Randy Full on Friendship!™ Super Moderator

Prolapsed truss rod?

CM_X5, StevenC, Descent and 9 others like this.
  4. MaxOfMetal

:rofl:

It happens, you can unscrew the rod from the anchor, and anchors can fail. I know some small garage/basement builders use "floating" rods on some basses when they can't easily source custom extra long rods. Extra long rods often causing prolapses. What.

5. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

Maybe means a bullet? I like bullet over the traditional hole, but ebmm wheel is the best imo.

vilk likes this.
  6. MaxOfMetal

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. That or the older Gibson ones (late 80's/early 90's) that had like a full inch and a half visible with the cover removed.

I'll never get the love for the wheel. Like, it's fine, but folks get all weird about it. :lol:

vilk likes this.
  7. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

That's why the truss rod cover is there though...

I don't understand the appeal of the wheel type truss rod either. I would like to see the Gotoh one where there is a small hole in the side of the neck heel for adjustment because that to me makes the most sense but since manufacturers are cheapskates it is most likely more expensive than what they already use.

8. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Yes! I just had to look it up, but as soon as you said "bullet" I knew that had to be it.

So what is it, something that you attach to the end of your truss rod so that it's always poking out for people who feel the need to frequently adjust their truss rod?

Does it aid in leverage on the truss to give it a smoother turn or anything like that?

Why do you like bullet over a traditional hole?

9. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

It's just what Fender put on most of their 1970's guitars, not really better or worse than the typical truss rod nut. But some people like the look, and 70's reissue models will probably have the bullet nut, so you'll still see them on modern guitars here and there.

vilk likes this.
  10. vilk

vilk Very Regular

The guitar that inspired this thread was a Fender Pawnshop Super-sonic

I'm not really into fenders so much but damn those are so cool

11. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

the wheel is definitely easier to access on the fly and probably more durable... superior design. that said, i only adjust a truss rod once (or never) typically so its not that huge of a deal

12. iamaom

iamaom SS.org Regular

I have a couple musings:
    1. Fender has/had been making the same stuff for decades, it's an "innovation" that gives people with enough disposable income a reason to buy another strat.
    2. I've heard a lot of guitars were of horrible quality, even mid-range models, up until the 90's. Shitty built necks + touring with variable temperatures/humidity (or even just staying home and saving money on heating/ac) would probably cause a lot of warping that would justify easier access to a trussrod.
    3. On the rare occasion you do have to adjust a truss rod it's a royal pain in the ass, especially with a screw on plate (looking at you Warwick).
    4.[insert joke about guys not being able to find the clit]

vilk likes this.
  13. MaxOfMetal

Prior to the "bullet" style truss rod nuts you had to take the neck off of the guitar to adjust the truss rod. The elongated bullet nut allowed them [Fender] to use the same truss rods, but made it adjustable at the headstock. That's really all there is to it.

TheWarAgainstTime, budda and vilk like this.
  14. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

I hate the wheel truss rod adjustment. I don't know why I prefer the hex nut, can't explain it.

15. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Lots of people like the bullet style over the recessed style like what you see on most guitars that don't have a wheel. You don't have a cover *that's usually mounted with screws). And without a cover,t tre isn't a hole to get gunked up with dust/dirt or not-completely-cleaned-out cleaners/polishes, etc, and it's easier to work on should something happen to it. If the recessed nut on a truss rod gets stripped/damaged, it's a bit more of a challenge to work on.

I don't like the looks of the wheel, but appreciate that you can operate it with pretty much anything that will fit in the holes. You aren't screwed if you don't have the exact right wrench/key. Kind of like a flat-head screw, where you could use a coin, key, knife, or even a fingernail in a pinch.

16. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I like the wheel. and I like the gibson/prs style where you fit the thingy on top.
    I hate the stick a hex in the hole type. hex always gets stuck. and you can only put it in from certain angles. and it always gets stuck.

17. MaxOfMetal

Get a set of ball end keys.

[​IMG]

vilk likes this.
  18. diagrammatiks

is that what that's for?
    I've been using those all wrong.

ok but here's the problem...on most of the guitars I have the long end won't fit..because the trussrod pocket is angled.

19. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

You my friend, need a set of long T-handles Allen keys. Once you have one and use it to set your truss rod you’ll see it’s actually faster and easier than a spoke wheel.

20. diagrammatiks

You guys make it seem like I don't have multiple sets of every tool in existence.
    T-handles don't work when the truss adjustor is recessed inside an angled cavity.
    literally the only guitar I own that those work on are my strandbergs.

trem licking likes this.