Why does my new 2012 schecter hellraiser C1 sound like poop?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by sgsummers, Dec 11, 2012.

1. sgsummers

sgsummers Well-Known Member

Ok so I raised the EMG's to the same level as the 2008 and it still sounds like I am playing the brown note with it consistently.

2. J7string

J7string SS.org Regular

Change the battery?

3. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

Is the new one made in Korea? I heard that some of their production was moving elsewhere.

4. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

As suggested in the thread several times, change the battery.

5. Overtone

Overtone SS.org Regular

also... more like C1 Poopraiser :fawk:

since you paid for a setup whoever did that setup should be willing to take time to check out both guitars and see if they can explain the issue. Either their work wasn't good or you have plenty of reason to exchange the guitar.

I find it really hard to believe that a bad piece of wood or going from fixed to floyd could mess things up that much.

6. spadz93

spadz93 SS.org Regular

1. change the battery

2. try and 18v mod

3. is it the fact that your 2012 has an 81tw while your 08 might have an 81? i doubt this is the case because i think they are very similar but hell it could be anything.

7. sgsummers

Yeah the pick ups are IDENTICAL. Im not going to mod anything on a brand new guitar that I could just exchange or get my money back on. Battery isnt the issue sadly... Both guitar have a MUCH different sound. The 2012 is much deeper too. But not in a good way. Its really strange to hear how different it is. Also yes it is made in South Korea.

8. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Try swapping the EMGs between the old and the new one..a friend of mine got an LTD which sounded awful with those pups,but after a change it came to life...but those emgs didn't sound like a regular emg is supposed to sound.

Also,if you find out that those pickups in particular are lemons,then swap 89<>81tw,maybe they will be more balanced :shrug:

9. sgsummers

yeah I guess that's all that's left to do... Not really sure how to change them though. They just pop out right?

10. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Emgs are really easy to be changed,"just" pull the strings off,remove the pickup ring (along with the whole pickup of course) and then you'll have something similar (not the same,IIRC mine)to this

[​IMG]

take the cable off (don't force too much) and here's your EMG
    [​IMG]
    (this is the exact pickup you will see)

11. rockstarazuri

rockstarazuri SS.org Regular

Yeah, a guitar's tone made in an Asian factory will sound more 'Asian', if you want to play Swedish metal you need a guitar made in the Europe! *rolleyes*

Seriously, where the guitar is made doesn't dictate the guitars tone. Especially if the techniques, QC and parts involved in manufacturing one is the same.

12. Nonservium

Nonservium ss.org Irregular

Just an off-thought trying to cover all bases, you checked to make sure your saddles are flush and screwed down tightly on the 7th and 6th string? You tried different strings, maybe you got a dud?

13. sgsummers

Thanks for all the info guys! Yep, looks like a dud guitar... ugh.

14. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

so the pickup swap was no good?

15. Bloodbath Salt

Bloodbath Salt Title-less

Are all the specs supposed to be EXACTLY identical, between the 2008 and 2012 models?

16. sgsummers

Yeah it was no good. I returned it sadly. I'll just order another one. And yeah the specs are identical aside from the FR on the 2012. I have no idea if the wood is the same but everything aside from the FR is the same.

The 2013's that come out in Jan are a lot different. The 2013's have a bridge EMG and a sustaniac pickup at the neck. Also 2 switches and 3 or 4 knobs. I know NOTHING about what the sustaniac even does or if the switches and possible extra knob goes to the sustaniac? It also has an FR on it. Not sure if you can buy it like this without the FR since its the only 2013 hellrasier I have seen. There may be other differences in it but that's all I know of.

17. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOXED7LKVbo

2:45 starts talking bout the c-1,it explains pretty well how sustainiac works

18. no_dice

no_dice a very bad old bear

You could get different results from two "identical" guitars made in the same year, let alone 4 years apart. I'd say if you're not happy with the sound, return it while you still have that option, because if your other avenues don't work out, you could still be stuck with a guitar you don't like the sound of.

19. sgsummers

Great video thank you! And yeah I returned it. Im going to use the money to buy an older Peavey 5150. I love those amps. But those sustaniacs look really fun to play with. I think I will just hold off til the tax returns start rolling in and get a 2013 with a sustaniac and see if its any better. Thanks for all the help guys!