Why do people like Gene Hoglan?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by cGoEcYk, Jul 2, 2015.

1. fps

fps Kit

Christie's performance on SOP is one of the most distinctive drumming performances I've heard. There are bits on the record where beats are just cut off, it's bonkers. It gives a shifting, jazzy feel to things.

2. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

Let us not forget Christy's comedic contribution to the world via the Howard Stern Show. I've spent the last 10 years laughing my ass off every time that dude does something on the show. There's been a few times he's played his own music on the air and they did a drum special with him once for Howard TV:

https://youtu.be/Odj7JeNpvS4

It's funny watching him beat the .... out of drums and then watch him get his balls waxed or him licking some dude's balls....

I hadn't even realized it until a couple weeks ago, but there's a few Christy catch phrases I use all the time, but you'd have to be a Stern show fan to get it.....

That's my faaaavorite.

3. fps

fps Kit

Had no idea about any of this! :hbang:

4. Dana

Dana SS.org Regular

Oh dude... Sop is the greatest thing Death ever put out.
    Don't get me wrong... I love the classic albums, but sop is an absolute masterpiece of an album. Chuck left us with something I'm pretty sure could never have been topped by Death.

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Having heard the post Death material, I happen to agree. Don't get me wrong, I like Control Denied, a lot of the Death-magic is there, but SOP was a perfect ending to the Death legacy. All in my opinion of course.

6. DslDwg

DslDwg SS.org Regular

Had the pleasure of seeing him a few years back with Forbidden. Guy plays his ass off.

Probably most well know at this point for his metronome like timing. Great metal drummer!

7. Dana

Dana SS.org Regular

Yup!
    Songs like Flesh and The Power It Holds just give me goosebumps. Brilliant brilliant work. And chucks vocals sound better than ever on sop imo.
    But this thread is about Hoglans drumming, and I'm positive Hoglan approves of Christies work on that album. It's exactly where it needed to be. Not overdone nor under played.

8. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

He's been on the show for quite some time now. You seriously won't look at him the same way again after watching some of that ..... I've seen that guys balls more than my best friend's that I grew up with.

9. Vhyle

Vhyle Jackson Shill

What I mean is,

The distance of the tom rims from the snare rim is pretty huge. He has to travel extensively just to reach his toms, and that is pretty difficult during blazing fast fills. It just seems really inefficient. Obviously it's not, for him, but visually speaking it looks really awkward and uncomfortable. There's no right or wrong way to set up a kit to your liking, though.

Most other setups have the tom rims much closer to the snare rims. Mine included.

But hey, it's the drumming world. It's very freestyle - limitless options for every player when it comes to drum positioning.

10. Richie666

Richie666 SS.org Regular

I think he has a very unique and tasteful style for death metal which is hard to find. Just listen to Strapping Young Lad's Alien.

11. mrjones_ass

mrjones_ass SS.org Regular

My brain must have farted, clicked this thread POSSITIVE that it was going to be about that wrestler dude, Hulk Hogan. lol