Why are you sad right now?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Alex Kenivel, May 28, 2014.

1. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I completely understand, dude.

My wife recently had something of a cancer scare, and I'm still not right from it. Fucking terrifying. Sending positive vibes your way.

As for the long distance thing, my wife had a family emergency that required her to fly out to Texas (from Wisconsin) for a few months. This was when we had just gotten married a few months prior. It's not a different country, but I get the apprehension. Again, sending good vibes.

DiezelMonster likes this.
  2. DiezelMonster

DiezelMonster Complainasaurus Rex

Thanks man,

I'm assuming your wife is doing well now?

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Yes, thank you for asking.

It was probably the scariest month of my life. Aged me a good few years.

Cancer is a sneaky bastard, and fairly difficult to actually diagnose apparently. At least some forms.

I wish your family the best outcome. Really.

4. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

I don't know why but... just realized that last months of this decade are going on. Last five years went really fast and I achieved many things I wanted, but the first five not so. I kind of wasted them doing some stupid things, or at least not the right things.

5. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Maybe it becomes less sad when you take the perspective that an end-of-decade is entirely arbitrary. There's nothing at all that actually ties that set of 10 years into a meaningful unit outside of having 10 fingers and the odd chance that this is how the calendar lined up. Nothing has ended. No deadline has passed. Anything you wanted to do, you can still do. It's just a number.

6. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

There kind of is, because 10 years ago I was in the beginning of being legally adult person at 18 years old, and just learning things... those were really painful times of growth for me. But yes, nothing has ended :)

7. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

My company experienced a terrible tragedy today. Unfortunately one of my coworkers was killed. It's been a rough day. :(

8. AlexCorriveau

AlexCorriveau I am the liquor

My ex just told me that I'm going to die alone.

9. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I pretty much feel like I've been run over by an asphalt smoothing roller thing. Kids+work are wearing me out - after each weekend I'm just more tired instead of rested. I guess it's because I take my daughter to daycare before work and pick her up after, and my wife works mostly evenings so she comes home just after I've put the kids to bed. I don't even remember the last time I had some me-time, which is bad since I'm really introverted and need to recharge. I'd also feel very selfish if I asked my wife to GTFO with the kids, so I guess I'll just have to adjust.

10. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

Dude I really feel for you. As much as I dearly love and appreciate my wife, I'd go full on nuts without my alone/ recharge time. I guess the reason that I'm saying anything at all about this is because a few years ago I had to sit down with her and voice my concerns about this very same thing. Confronting her was difficult but necessary b/c if she'd had her way, we would've been joined at the hip forever and always... or until my murder trial.

My point is that you deserve to be able to have some time for yourself. I would guess that it's not as if this topic hasn't come up before in your household but seriously... I hope that you can convince her that you need some time in the day/ week/ month for yourself. I completely understand that it's not as simple as that but for your physical and emotional health, it's something that should be taken seriously. Apologies for speaking out of turn as I know this is a personal thing but you're a good dude and I just wanted to convey my support.

11. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Starting this week on a bad foot. Asked someone out and can't get a strait response from them. I get to work and things I've submitted are being questioned as "sketchy" and "unnecessary" and being asked why I even bothered doing the things I've been working on for weeks. I want to be productive but some of what we need to just just has no direction right now..... Feels like I'm in full dumpster fire mode.

12. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Thanks for the support, man.

It's not really a case of my wife not understanding, it's just that the time for my me-time doesn't really exist at the moment. But no worries, I'm already feeling a bit better and I'm sure it'll sort itself out - I just need to latch on to the alone time chances I get offered more than before. I'm still kinda getting used to not living alone :lol: Even when I lived at my mom's place, I could just go to my room whenever I wanted and no-one would bother me for days, now I have to be super strategic about it. Once my daughter's a bit bigger, I can start telling her to gtfo as well.

I had a similar moment today, but it just ended with me having to write a very detailed report about what I'd been doing and ultimately our company sending a fucking huge bill to the customer :lol:

High Plains Drifter likes this.
  13. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'm a bit annoyed lately that I'll have been saying certain things for quite a while, to have those things dismissed - then when someone of "authority" says it, it's this brilliant revelation.

14. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

Nothing really personal happened, but the french Formula 2 driver Antoine Hubert died today after a horrifying crash at the Spa circuit.

I love motorsports. This just sucks man, he was only 22 years old or something.

15. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pet kitties, spend fiddies

Brain Drill broke up.

16. protest

protest SS.org Regular

I lost my best bud last night. He was only 8. He collapsed in front of me and I couldn't get him to the 24 hour vet in time. He was so awesome. He was a dog in a cat costume. Always wanted to be around people, always hung out when we had people over, loved everyone. From the second I walked in the door after work to the second I left the next morning he was with either me or my wife. Sat there begging for food like a dog when we ate dinner, sat on the sink while I shaved, sat on the sofa next to me when I played video games, slept in our bed at night. Everyday that I walked in the door from work he was there with my dog Penny waiting for me. I lost her in November and now I've lost Chase, and no one was there when I get home today. And as tough and metal as I like to think I am, it fucking hurts man and I haven't been able to keep it together.

[​IMG]

17. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pet kitties, spend fiddies

I know how you feel man, I had a cat just like that and I was devastated when he died. I raised him from when he was a few days old and barely fit in the palm of my hand til he was a big thicc boii that I buried in my backyard. He was the friendliest/cuddliest cat I've ever met. He'd meet me at the door, and just constantly wanted to hang around me or sleep with me.
    Losing a pet sucks.

18. protest

protest SS.org Regular

I know man, it's crushing. I'm a big animal person and I like them all, but my dog and him were different. Just so awesome and lovable and they both passed way too soon.

19. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

Tonight's my first night in my new house. I've lived my entire life in my old house (I'm 16, so don't start thinking I'm like some neckbeard who lives in his mom's basement) and I don't really know life outside of that house and it's something I obviously gotta get used to now that I don't live there.

Moving has always been a bit of a hotly debated topic in my family for probably the last 11 to 12 years or so since my dad viewed my old house as like a "layover" house in that we'd probably just end up living there for a few years, and then move to another house. I won't get into super into detail about it since it's a kinda long and complicated story that I feel like is going to be really boring.

The part that makes me sad about it is that I'm not really going to see any of the people I grew up with on my street ever again and it kinda causes you to really cherish those friendships more than you normally would.

Damn, that last part was really fucking hard to write without getting emotional myself.

20. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

The only thing that helps is time. Chase was a truly handsome boy and I'll bet he lived a great life. You have my condolences, man.