Why are you mad right now?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Faine, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Kaura

Kaura evanesencensencenenist

Haha, talk about an image speaking more than thousand words...

But thanks. I hope I can maintain my frustation so the next time I can talk with the higher-ups I can tell them exactly how I feel.

2. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

It always helps to have another job offer on hand before you go do the talk. Otherwise, chances are they'll blow you off.

Get some leverage first. Sounds kinda crappy I know but that's the world we live in today.

3. Kaura

Kaura evanesencensencenenist

The thing is that I like my job especially since I know how everything works but it sucks that all that know-how goes unnoticed by the higher-ups. And that's what annoys me.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  4. TheBolivianSniper

TheBolivianSniper SS.org Regular

my power has been out since 6 yesterday, didn't get to play sax since no light or wifi at home, can't shower at home since it's too dark, got 4 hours of sleep and I wanted to be productive and get my hair cut and shit like that today, really enjoy the fact that I got out at 4 yesterday and had the afternoon, have today off, then only have to go in at 4 tomorrow.

also had a decent sized mental breakdown last night over shit that happened in February

but I finally feel like a decent guitarist, I was reading charts this morning from my real books and kind of getting changes off sheet music

and I said fuck it if I'm gonna be a real guitarist I'm gonna not give a fuck what I get so with my cash from deals and a raise at work I snagged a sick Burny LC70RR to drop some fishmans in and play in our second jazz ensemble

5. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Oh it gets noticed- trust me. They're just hoping that you don't notice.
    It's a sad state but a lot of employers just don't proactively reward solid staff members- and will instead...well, I don't want to say 'exploit them' cause that sounds ridiculous, but that's kinda what it is. They aren't inept, they know you're competent and capable, they're just trying to get away with paying you less because that's more value for them. Completely ignoring the long term perspective of investing in your people. Sadly that philosophy seems to be the exception rather than the norm now.

I'd definitely have the chat. Once they know they can't 'get away' with it anymore (and they see you're aware of the value of your work / skillset and the fact that it doesn't currently match your wage or title) they have to decide if they want to pay you what you're worth or double down, hope you don't leave, and eat the cost of hiring / training someone if you do. You just, you know, gotta be sure that's the case.

I been there man, it ain't fun. In my case even after I got the bump it still bugged me because I knew if I didn't push them they would never have given it to me if they could help it. I dunno. Maybe I'm just a glass half empty dude. I do tend to bet on people not acting their best :lol:

Mathemagician and Kaura like this.
  6. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

We had municipality elections here this Sunday, and only roughly 50% of the people voted. Stupid people, why don't you vote :wallbash:

7. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Voting is meaningless.

8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

It makes for a good joke, but that's how you get a Trump.

9. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

This is the only way to do it.

It is exploitative. That’s the set up. That’s why you’ll get ignored if you don’t have leverage. Years of outperforming? Nothing. The SECOND I have a much better offer? Complete 180 from telling me I should be thankful, to them hopelessly trying to keep me.

They won’t pay you unless they have to. You’re not friends. Listen to them and get an outside offer you’re willing to walk for.

And if you walk? The next guy they hire will start higher than you were asking for.

Millul likes this.
  10. Spaced Out Ace

Uh huh, because you assume that I'd vote for the democrat offering. A lot of people had to have voted for him. I guess you also think that voting third party s also how you get x, y, and z of terrible politicians.

11. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I made zero assumption about how you'd vote. Not bothering to vote concedes all control to whatever might happen - be that people who vote sarcastically, people who vote against your interests, etc. Every vote you don't bother participating in makes it that tiny fraction easier for the opposite of what you want to happen.

I mean, that's literally how voting works. It's not rocket science. It's far from meaningless - it's literally the process by which you choose your leadership. Being a flawed system doesn't justify a lack of participation.

Carlin may be funny - and his jokes can be pretty on point - I like the guy, and I like the way he thinks - but at the end of the day he's still a comedian, and taking his jokes as serious political advice is dumb.

Ordacleaphobia and BlackMastodon like this.
  12. Spaced Out Ace

Every vote I don't bother participating in means I didn't play a hand in a possible scenario wherein some tyrant gets elected and does some heinous shit, like off an entire group of people. Voting, in general, is dumb. It serves zero purpose, and nothing ever gets better. The whole thing is stacked in their favor, and everything is against the voters, who supposedly matter. If it made any difference, they wouldn't you do it.

13. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

There's some Rush lyrics for this: "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"

Yeh, it's some dumb lyrics, but I think it sums it up pretty well. If you actively choose not to vote, you're still participating by conceding your say in the matter. If "some tyrant" got elected and "offed some people", you're not off the hook just because you didn't care enough to bother trying to prevent it. Trump wasn't bad because he was a jackass, he was bad because he represented the huge group of jackasses who did care enough to put someone who represented their interests in a place of power. "Some tyrant" doesn't just happen. Enough people have to want it to happen, and enough people have to not give a shit enough to prevent it.

Edit:
    But oh hey this isn't the politics thread, so I'll stop there.

14. Spaced Out Ace

:lol:

Good one Teddy, boy. You're almost as funny as George.

15. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

16. thebeesknees22

ah yes.....mmmm.....yes..indeed. The neutrality stance!

By choosing no sides one is apparently completely innocent!

Very tempting indeed. If only that were reality.

If you don't like the candidates then going on record as not voting as protest so to speak then that could I suppose be a valid stance. But it's a stance that doesn't present a solution to anything. It's similar to just pouting in a corner. Sure you make it known that you don't like something, but it's not going to change anything either. Plus it doesn't present any opportunities to change anything in the way you want.

Not giving a damn too is fine as well if you're comfy letting others choose for you. Many are, and that is totally fine. Sometimes I think it's better if some people don't vote if they don't know who or what they're voting for. That's part of what's created the cult of politics we have today.

It's wrong though when people who would vote if they had access choose not to if they feel like it's too difficult. That's where you see the hard push to get everyone to vote. In a lot of minority communities it has been made, and IS being made legitimately harder to vote. So there's a hard push to have everyone vote to give them some encouragement to get out there and do it despite the hardships.

Participation is a good thing for those that want to.

....but not voting doesn't make one innocent. -_______-

17. Spaced Out Ace

It is reality. Enjoy your charade parade of "yay, we have (some very minor) power! We have our say!" Lol.

Lemme ask: is Nazi Germany Switzerland's fault because they were neutral?

18. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Lets not derail this thread more than we need to. There are other perfectly good threads for that.

In unrelated, more on-topic news:

I got a message a while back from the 'band leader' of sorts of one of the bands I'm in. The guitarist is also a member here, so he knows what's up. The message was, in a nutshell "I want to eventually dissolve this band into a solo project but also keep you guys around to call on as session people as I see fit, without any obligation to go with you in particular, but instead I can just have a rotating door of musicians as is convenient for everyone". There's some layers to it that aren't worth getting into, but it basically amounts to "I want to fire all of you, but I still need you to finish the album and I want you to still play shows if I can't find replacements. Also I still want to make a music video."

All the while, the city has been under stay-at-home orders, and I'm trapped in a whole other province than everyone else, separated by bridges that are being monitored - so there wasn't much conversation past that.

Fast forward to today - another message comes to the group where he has decided to rage quit, described working with us as "pulling teeth" and is bailing on the shared jam room we have with another band, dumping the other band with the obligation to cover the rest of the cost of the room or find another band to share with. (Two members are shared between the groups, myself being one of them.)

Like, I expected things to dissolve, since that was already the plan. What I don't get is why the sudden rage. I mean, when you tell people you're basically firing them, is that supposed to boost interest and morale? What exactly did he think was going to happen?

Feels like those cases where a girlfriend threatens to leave you, so you show them the door, and they just get more pissed 'cause you were "supposed to chase after them". No thanks. The drama is dumb.

19. thebeesknees22

lol It's not their fault as a swiss person couldn't vote in Germany so that argument isn't valid, but to your point they weren't innocent.

When you know something is innately wrong and evil going on and you choose to not even speak against it when it's happening. That is wrong.

They did have financial dealings with both sides. They aided both sides. They were a bank haven for nazi's afterall.

No one is innocent whether you choose to make a choice on paper or not. That's essentially what @TedEH was getting at.

But you seem to be quite upset at it all so maybe you need an internet break if this is making you angry lol

20. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I guess this is arguably the right thread to be angry in.

But lets be less angry at voting and more angry at overly-dramatic bandmates.