Why are you mad right now?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Faine, Apr 8, 2012.

1. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

You're probably reading it right. Covid + COPD + pneumonia + emphysema. He's been hospitalized since the 21st. I'd be lying if I said I thought the chances of him leaving the hospital were good.

It's appreciated.

2. TheBolivianSniper

TheBolivianSniper SS.org Regular

I know it's cliche but good things eventually come to good people and shitty times always end. There's some good in life and at this point so long as you keep going and keep looking ahead (I say this since from your posts you most certainly are) it passes. That's some of the best advice I ever got and I really hope things turn around sooner than later.

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I don't honestly believe that there's some kind of inherent "fairness" to the universe or that doing/being good means that good will come to me, call it karma or what have you. Things just are what they are. The sentiment is certainly appreciated though.

LordIronSpatula likes this.
  4. groverj3

groverj3 Bioinformagician

I'm staying at my parents' house over Xmas and New Years this year. My sister also came up from DC. This was all on the condition that I believed everyone was "being good" COVIDwise.

My sister (26, not a child) got bored and went to go get a pedicure. Our parents are in their 70s (dad) or late 60s (mom). What a fucking stupid idea. What part of "no unnecessary trips" do you not understand!

5. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Herbert is stuck in the shitty ass hub in Toledo that I went to work at for 3 weeks while I was out of town. Swear to god that place is full of stuff just piled up because ‘nobody knows what to do with it’.

I dunno, maybe put it on a truck and deliver it?!

6. MFB

MFB Banned

Between my Eclipse and your Herbert, some dude at USPS may have just found himself a slick new rig to sit on while trying to sort where those packages were supposed to go.

StevenC likes this.
  7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

alexi laiho isn't even cold in the ground and people are already trying to charge 5x what they were yesterday for his scythe sig.

8. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

People are fucking gross.

9. John

John New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh

More disappointed than mad, but it's still disheartening that it's 2021 and we still have to deal with both body shaming and toxic gatekeeping over preferences and pastimes that have no inherent ill-will towards other people.

That being said, I'm also laughing at the same time over how pathetic some of these takes are. ie:

[​IMG]

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  10. John

That is very cringeworthy, to say the least. And unless ESP decides to stop making those sigs forever (really doubtful given their precedence with still making Jeff sig guitars after all this time), that makes it all the more asinine.

11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

Ironic that they're implying gym rats aren't bettering themselves, when that's literally the whole point of going to the fucking gym.
    Also they've clearly never been in a real gym if they think people are sitting around counting their muscles for hours.

12. John

So much for trying pass himself off as an intellectual. It's not like we're limited to having to choose one over the other, either. Both have been done many times before we've even been around, and it can certainly be done again by many more.
    A well-rounded man is an artist, warrior, and philosopher. I've yet to see anyone else in their right mind wanting to be so unbelievably dull and one-dimensional like this scrub.

13. TheBolivianSniper

TheBolivianSniper SS.org Regular

My friend I lift with is straight up one of the smartest people I know and working out is one of the best ways to relieve stress especially in academic settings. Sounds like someone is projecting.

14. Bodes

Bodes SS.org Regular

I'm stuck 2000km (two states) away from my wife, 9 month old son and dogs. My state closed the borders while we were away due to covid numbers and I have to wait until Saturday or Sunday to transit through the inbetween state (12 hours drive) with only two 15 minute breaks, then get to my house, another 3.5 hour drive with only one more 15 minute break. These driving rules will kill somebody.

Fuck you COVID and stupid government rules.

15. oldbulllee

oldbulllee SS.org Regular

having an emotional breakdown. drug use, alcoholic wife, health issues ( unrelated to drugs)....
    can't find the space to change anything, got to earn- day to day.
    i'm really tired of myself.

16. John

Absolutely. For a guy trying to project himself as erudite and intelligent, he really did take the time to write such an idiotic take for all to see. Working out and training (lifting, martial arts, etc) have been some of the better things I've gone out of my way to do, also for the reasons you've described.

TheBolivianSniper likes this.
  17. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

The only thing government has ever managed to do successfully is remain in power. That and take away people's rights over time.

18. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Where I live, instead of natural gas being conveniently piped to your home, people heat their houses with wood or oil or whatever else, usually stockpiled in the basement. We have an oil furnace with a huge tank in the basement, and we've been using the same oil delivery company for 11 years.

Up 'til last year, no problems. Last year, we nearly froze, because we ordered oil when we had around a quarter tank, and then, two weeks later, it dipped down into deep freeze temperatures (like -25 °C) and stayed there for over a week, and still no oil. When I called to ask WTF, I was told then that they were super busy. Ok, it happens, I guess, but it would've been nice to know sooner.

This year, similar thing. I called early December. This weekend, I look at the tank and it's empty. It hasn't even been that cold. Called to see when they'd come and they told me they delivered oil on December 4th. Great, now I have the conundrum that I seem to have never received the oil I ordered, never received any invoice, never received any proof of delivery, and I have an empty tank. What happened?! I talk to a supervisor and he says that all he has to go off of is that the driver said he delivered oil. Supervisor also makes other statements, though, in talking to me, about how many deliveries they make and how difficult it is to keep up with everything, but also, basically, the only proof they have that they delivered oil is that the driver that day says he delivered oil. Also, if my tank is now empty, it seems like I used all of the oil they delivered. I've never needed more than two deliveries in any given winter (usually one), and here we are early January and I'm out of oil after a supposed delivery. But now they are saying that I have to either pay or offer definitive proof that they did not deliver oil when they claim they did... On top of that, the invoice that I never got from them is late!

I tried to reason with the guy on the phone. I guess I see his side of it, too, but he has to understand that, unless the oil got stolen somehow, or my furnace somehow decided it needed to burn through 20-30 L of oil a day to keep my small house 13 °C when it is around 0 °C outside, that maybe there's a possibility that the driver made a mistake and delivered the oil to the wrong damned house.

I don't know where to go from here. I guess either pay the $300-400 so my neighbour can enjoy the oil he got by mistake or refuse to pay the bill and let them take me to small claims, then try to explain to the judge how I know that they never gave me the oil while a truck driver says he delivered it. If I were the judge, I wouldn't even know how the hell to settle that.

Argh.

19. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

Okay...that shit is funny. I can't imagine someone being upset about that tweet

20. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

I know I, for one, am going to start referring to the weight I've put on since lockdown started as my "accumulated knowledge".

BlackMastodon likes this.