Why are you mad right now?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Faine, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 lifetime novice Contributor

The summer is shit here, why do we have Beijing air in PHX? Ca fires? Where my monsoons at? Glad its well over halfway there before the outside becomes useable again around here.

Adieu likes this.
  2. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Sunrise or night, dude

Although I'm still waiting for temps to drop here myself... if it's not <20°C, I ain't running.

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  3. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 lifetime novice Contributor

That's a pretty low tolerance my guy.

4. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

I don't halfass, though. I only do 10k's.

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  5. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Well after having the guitar I returned in their possession for over a week now, I finally got my refund.
    Thing is, in the 30 message email string back and forth between myself, the manager, and a CS rep, we agreed that they were going to cover the return shipping since they ghosted me when I asked for a label and got stuck paying big dollars for a standard one.

The shipping cost was, in fact, not included in my refund. So now I have to decide if I want to continue this month long ordeal and be that guy, or just lose $130 for the privilege of wasting a ton of time trying to return a guitar with a cracked neck joint and finally put this whole thing to bed.

6. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

Since when does a customer pay return shipping on a guitar with a serious defect?? That's bullshit that you're picking up the tab on this. Hope some compensation comes your way, man.

7. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

I'd send one email, make one call, then drop it if nothing happens. You already spent a lot of time and energy on it, at some point just saying fuck it and eating the $130 will be a relief.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire sso's unofficial pickup hoarder

my randall mts head isn't working and the synergy modules don't fit properly in one of the slots, so it's basically a really heavy paperweight til I can pinpoint the issue. I should have just bought the synergy 2 rack to run the modules through my Revv, would have saved me all this dicking around...

9. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

Charge back on your card?

10. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

11. High Plains Drifter

Rest In Peace, Chadwick Boseman.

So somewhere between the "1st world problem" and the "mad" thread comes my post here. I know that things are so much worse for many people atm but Damn!.. Central air unit decided to take a dump last night. Got on the phone with the home warranty co at 3am... couldn't sleep anyway. Forecast highs of 104f/ 40c today, tomorrow and slightly +/- into next week. Obviously I'm concerned and beyond hopeful that we can get this resolved ASAP but we sure as hell weren't financially prepared for this right now. No idea what will have to happen nor what our expense will be... just sitting here now, sweating and anxious.

12. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

What is it doing? This is definitely the time of year when capacitors pop. If you hear the compressor trying to kick on but the fan isn’t starting, it’s probably the capacitor. A trick I’ve done to at least get me through the day/night is to take a stick and spin the fan blade and it will sometimes kick on.

13. High Plains Drifter

Thanks, jax. I experienced what you're describing at our old place... would just keep trying to come on but cap was toast. This is different. Unit running constantly... vents are blowing fine but no cold air. Maybe worth noting that this unit is old... the original installed in 2001. We knew this was going to happen when we bought the home but with covid this year, my wife's loss of hours, and me losing my job entirely... we were hoping we could bide our time a bit longer. We keep it at 72* inside... never touch it and it stays at about an actual 70-73 degrees. Current temp is up to 78 and gonna rise quickly as the sun is coming up now. Ironically this unit was doing this or something similar last year about a week before closing. They came out and serviced it ( freon? dunno) but now we're just about one year to the the day and it's rearing it's ugly head again.

14. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Yeah, this is what I went with. Took a few days but it's back in my account this morning!
    So glad that's over with.

15. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I got myself stuck in a weird situation where I've been helping out my ex who broke her leg a few months ago - but she has a roommate who normally covers day-to-day things that need to get done that can't be handled on a broken leg (mostly taking the dog out). Generally it's not a big deal, but they've seemingly gotten used to the idea that I'll just show up whenever, so now that there's a long weekend coming (which I was looking forward to, since I haven't had a day to myself in a while) they spring on me this morning that the roommate is going to go camping all weekend so I have to spend my long weekend over there to watch the dog.

It's not the end of the world, and when I complained, they cancelled the plan, but it's the principle that when I help out, its so that the person with a broken leg doesn't either get stuck or hurt herself more, it's not to enable her roommate to take vacations at the expense of my time. Between helping out over there, and work being a bit hectic, I've not had a lot of time to myself in the last while and was looking forward to the long weekend - just to have them spring on me this morning that I'd have to give that up so that someone else can go camping. Not cool.

16. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

^No good deed goes unpunished. I really don't get some people. If somebody helps me, I feel like I'm in their debt and accordingly humiliated to impose. Others, if they're helped, they take everything they can get.

I guess it's not her roommate's duty to take care of her as much as it's not yours, though. She has no one else?

17. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

It's kind of a long story, but generally speaking, no - there's not really anyone else. No family around, etc.

They have kind of an unusual arrangement because roommate dude is agoraphobic (and an alcoholic, and has had some medical issues recently, but this means no job, doesn't do his own shopping, etc) so before the accident she was basically his whole support system. This made me part of that support system, by extension, at times. So while I agree with you in principle, I would argue he owes her insofar as returning the favour since she basically opened her home to him. If someone I lived with suddenly had no use of their leg, I wouldn't just abandon them for a long weekend at a moments notice.

Realistically, I don't mind going over there and helping. We get along well. I really like the dog - the puppy is my best bud. But it's been a long week, and I had been ready and excited to have a full Saturday with no responsibilities that I can use to just be myself for bit - play some music, do some reading maybe. Actually, I've been collecting parts for a new PC build, and likely would spend tomorrow doing the actual build. Waiting until Friday to spring on someone that they don't get to have their long weekend is just super inconsiderate.

XPT707FX, Ordacleaphobia and Demiurge like this.
  18. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

And today continues to shit on me.

I got up this morning to the messages above, and while that's resolved and I got my weekend back, I still kinda feel like an ass for ruining someones camping weekend on principle.

The day goes on and today happens to be the day I have a one-on-one with my manager/producer/whatever you want to call him - but this time things are different because this is possibly the last meeting we get before I move onto another team. The talk goes well for maybe 30-40 minutes, but manager decides that he wants to end everything by bringing back up the communications mishaps that have been going on this year. I try to bring up the idea that I'd like the new team to be a fresh start, and I feel like a lot of our communications problems are at least in part a matter of feeling like my own concerns and frustrations go unaddressed. I get shut down and told that change can only come from me, and that I need to keep going back and reassessing how I could have done things better. I was too flustered to properly defend myself, and I couldn't get him to admit that the things that frustrate me also need to be addressed. I know I've got things to work on, but it's not fair to deny that it's not all on me.

I'm honestly very worried that he's going to "prepare" the new producer for what to expect from me and that I'll be robbed of my chance to make my own impressions and start over.

So, I get nothing of value done for the rest of the day, and decide I should head out and pick up some things I ordered that are ready nearby. I could have driven there but I thought I should take the bike instead cause it'll maybe help vent the days frustrations. I went outside, noticed it's kinda nice out, but my phone had said there's a small chance of rain. The neighbour says they heard it was supposed to be clear, and that it didn't look like rain was coming, so I was convinced and took the bike out.

Of course, I get half way there and it starts pouring. And then I go the wrong way, prolonging my time in the rain. When I get to the shop, I'm thinking that some face-to-face interaction with another human would do me some good, so I'm trying to be as friendly as possible, joke about the rain, make light of the situation, etc. She was probably the least friendly person I could have possibly run into and was barely present for the interaction. Not a single word past what was necessary for the transaction. Not even a customer-service-quality pity laugh. Fine.

At this point I haven't eaten anything and figure that if I'm downtown anyway, I should get food before I head back - remembering that there's a place I used to like nearby that might lift my mood. It's one of those grocery stores that has those hot bar/ salad bar type things. It's usually well prepared and you can pick what you want. Of course, I haven't been downtown in months and it didn't occur to me that they can't do that anymore because pandemic, so all they have is pre-packed meals on heaters. Fine, whatever. I pick something that looks decent and go find a spot far enough away from other people to relax for a moment and have a meal. Well... the dish is like 80% rice, and the rice is really poorly cooked. It's half mush and half crunchy for some reason.

At this point I just feel defeated. Time to go home I guess. I make it back to my bike, and try to get going - something's not right. The chain has come off. So now I'm downtown on the side of the road trying to fix the chain on this thing hoping it doesn't start raining again. I'm surprised I didn't just get hit by a car on the way back to top off the day.

Fuck today.

19. TheBolivianSniper

TheBolivianSniper SS.org Regular

I know it's late but that's a hell of a day and hopefully all your shit day karma is gone tbh, they tend to come in waves from what I've seen.

I'm done with local deals though. Got stood up I think 6 times now?

20. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

The weekend got better, but I think I feel very mildly bad still.

I've not got a single message from broken leg lady and her roommate all weekend, which is a little odd. On one hand I shouldn't care, 'cause I got what I wanted, and realistically I was supposed to be trying to get back into my old routines and stuff before all this leg breaking stuff happened. On the other hand, I don't want them mad at me, or feeling too awkward to still talk or something. Meh.

And the work conversation has been kinda in the back of my mind all weekend too. I've been trying to just not think about it. I'm not feeling particularly motivated to go back to work tomorrow.

But in better news - I did get to do the PC build I wanted and got lucky enough for it to boot on the first shot. Then used it all weekend to play the first Borderlands 3 DLC. It's something.

BlackMastodon likes this.