Why are you mad right now?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Faine, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Because it sounds like you're talking with people that want an excuse to goof off at home on the clock, looking for stuff to support their idea. Of course you're the asshole; you're talking about getting actual work done. They don't care if you're right or not; they care if you prevent them from being able to 'work' from home :lol:

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

^ I think that's a misreading of the tone, and who said what. On the part of the people cracking jokes, you might be right. The IT guy wasn't the one cracking the jokes though. He was just sending me links to things that had nothing to do with my questions. We currently have issues with how RDP doesn't virtualize a mouse properly (which isn't good because we work on games that use mouse-look, and mouse look just plain doesn't work without hacks now), so I asked if this new solution would help that, or cause more similar problems (since we would lose access to real hardware at all). His answer was an article showing off how the solution was great because it had very little downtime. My question wasn't about downtime.

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  3. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Not exactly mad, but why has GP stopped supporting their Linux version? Literally the only reason I am keeping Windows, as I'd like to keep using my GP7 (GP6 has awful awful drum tabbing, and other things I didn't care for).

4. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

My bud pisses me off. I don't care that ppl have different tastes and that his is "Mom & Dad's Contemporary Redneck Selection" but damn.. chill on making snarky passive aggressive comments about the way that my wife and I have furnished and decorated our new home. Maybe buy or even rent your own place for a minute to see how challenging it can be. I like our digs and I think it has a good vibe with what we've done... doing it for us/ what we like but Idk... been a lotta time and expense, would be cool to not have it mocked/ criticized.

:shrug:

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I feel you dude.

I've been rehabbing a 120 year old Victorian the last few years. It was pretty rough when we got it, and it's come a long way but it's a process. The in-laws, who live in an ugly McMansion made out of paper mache and toothpicks called it a dump. Assholes. :lol:

6. Spaced Out Ace

Maybe it'll get wrecked like that episode of King of the Hill.

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire sso's unofficial pickup hoarder

I'll take a cookie cutter house built in the last 10 years over any 100+ year old house. Quality control is far better from what I've seen. I've had some terrible experiences with remodeling way older homes (fucking plaster and lathe....) and the issues with most houses just compound exponentially over time. Couple that with harry homeowner diy shitshows and it only gets worse ime. You should have seen my gutters, shelves, lights and doors that the last owner installed. I had to build new shelves that were actually level, properly hang the doors and rewire all of his ratnest bullshit. Not to mention I ripped out the horrible sliding glass door he installed himself and sprayfoamed everything in the crawlspace/bumpouts.

Anyways.. yeah that's rude as fuck to criticize someone's decor to their face. My aunt and uncle came over when I first moved in and tried to poo poo the artwork on the walls. Needless to say we got in a fight about that, and I basically threw them out

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    XPT707FX likes this.
  8. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Nothing pisses me off more than people making fun of other people's shit. What you do with your home and your life is up to you. I would not let his opinion of your stuff sway you in the least. It actually sounds like he may be having a little bit of an issue reconciling his status based on the latest Restoration Hardware bedroom collection.

That's impressive. I think we can be friends again.

You'd be surprised. I live in a relatively new stucco shitbox in an area filled with new designer stucco shitboxes, and the builder problems are rampant. Leaking roofs, windows, electrical problems, poor drainage, horrible interior finishing, etc. on 1 year old homes. We are one of the semi-lucky ones (this is Florida after all) but the stories and nightmares are endless.

9. MaxOfMetal

You'd be surprised how shitty a new home build can be.

I've bought newer homes and they were never really what I wanted.

We found this one, which has great bones (8x10 floor joists on two floors, 8x8 beam rafters), and luckily not much had to be redone. Though I like working on it. It's a labor of love, and definitely isn't for everyone. I'm lucky though, I've been building trades adjacent my whole life and work with journeyman who have no problem helping out for some beer.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  10. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

I would actually be interested in seeing some of this because I am addicted to HGTV.

BlackMastodon and Ordacleaphobia like this.
  11. KnightBrolaire

Yeah there are definitely contractors out there cutting corners from what I've seen, especially when they're the same contractors building a whole neighborhood. There are good contractors out there, but they're not cheap and they're not building whole neighborhoods.
    The dickbags that built my neighborhood basically didn't insulate the basement/crawlspace or bumpouts properly, and they stole all the topsoil and tried to sell it back to people in the neighborhood.

12. MaxOfMetal

I'll see if I can sus up some pics. I finished the basement last year, and re-insulated the walk up attic, but I'm sure my wife has some pics when we moved in.

13. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

There are homebuilders here you absolutely stay away from that have horrible reputations. There are quite a few that come into the area, build out a community, and then either go belly up or disappear. I would not buy a house being built in my area right now, as they are building them faster than anything I've ever seen. It's not even corners being cut, it's entire sections of felt paper missing under shingles, entire walls missing nails, 4 tab architectural shingles getting one nail in them, and builders saying "oh well".

14. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

But surely they're envious of all your guitar knowledge so it prob evens out.

15. KnightBrolaire

Charvel star showed up and the hardware is all corroded to shit/the black chrome finish or whatever on the floyd special is coming off. I was going to strip and refinish/mod the guitar anyways but it's annoying having to do a deep clean on the hardware as well. Might just chuck it all and go for all black hardware and an OFR.

16. Spaced Out Ace

I really despise UPS. I've never been fond of them, and their drivers were never able to get anything to my house, so I'd have it set up for willcall prior to any attempt made. Now they've made "MY Choice" which is false advertising and a crock of shit, and for instance, can't set up a package I actually want until attempt to deliver. So much for MY choice.

And anything you want them to do costs more money, when they weren't worth the money to begin with. Like, say for instance, you want them NOT to deliver because you no longer want the package. So they can just either leave it, and you get to pay money to have them come back, you can hope to catch them (these people are slicker than criminals and the ding dong ditch champions of the millennium) and refuse it in person, or you can hope to get an InfoNotice thing and maybe possibly do it that way. Which wastes more money, time and gas. Fucking total idiots.

Seriously, stop shipping through UPS. I can't even give these jerk off morons any delivery instructions until AFTER a first attempt is made, and I'm not even sure I'll be able to give it to them on the internet anyways; they still need the paper, apparently, because I guess it is still 198-fucking-4. Things would go smoother, if I wanted the shit, if I could do this BEFORE an attempt was made, plus it'd be "greener," which people apparently supposedly care about, but yet shit like this still goes on.

Who made these fucking asinine changes? Fuck UPS. /rant

17. BigViolin

BigViolin breakfast foods

I'm bummed because while I would like to move on in life by distancing myself from toxic, childish, selfish and negative people, I would be left with my wife, only a few friends and like two clients. I guess I should be happy that I know a few people that can see past the end of their own nose.

18. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

That's more than me now!

19. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I dunno, this sounds pretty good to me. Nobody needs hundreds of friends. More "friends" means more drama.

XPT707FX and BlackMastodon like this.
  20. BigViolin

BigViolin breakfast foods

It's a percentage thing. :lol: 80%+ bat shit crazy isn't that great.